I Need a Quick Review

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I like Men of Respect. The concept of modernizing Macbeth to a family of New York gangsters mostly works - I just wish they had found a way to change "no man of woman born" into something else for their finale. Turturro is very good, as usual, and it's a great cast in general. No masterpiece, but definitely worth seeing...especially if you're a fan of Shakespeare.
I tried adapting Macbeth to the modern world with gangsters for Drama class when I was 12, after reading it in English. I never made it to the "no man of woman born" part, though.

I was going to check this film out anyway, but now I'll make the extra effort in seeing it since you think it's pretty good. Thanks.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins
I tried adapting Macbeth to the modern world with gangsters for Drama class when I was 12, after reading it in English. I never made it to the "no man of woman born" part, though.

I was going to check this film out anyway, but now I'll make the extra effort in seeing it since you think it's pretty good. Thanks.
As an interesting counterpart try Joe MacBeth, (1955, Ken Hughes), which did the 'Macbeth in New York' thing 40-odd years earlier. It'll be a hard one to track down (I've got it on an ancient VHS tape straight off the TV, adverts and all) but Sid James, in the Jaffa-skinned South African entendremeister's pre Carry On days as a bit part Studio player, plays Banky (no points for guessing who he's based on) so you have an idea at what level the movie's being pitched.

Yeah, I've seen Joe MacBeth too, and I like the '90s attempt much more. But they're nothing compared to Kurosawa's Throne of Blood.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The People's Republic of Clogher
Yeah, I've seen Joe MacBeth too, and I like the '90s attempt much more. But they're nothing compared to Kurosawa's Throne of Blood.
True. I liked the Polanski version too, but haven't seen it in years.

A system of cells interlinked
Crooklyn

Jungle Fever

Clockers

Originally Posted by 7thson
Three O'Clock High
Three O'Clock High is okay, though it never lives up to its potential. It could never seem to make up its mind what kind of movie it wanted to be. It has its moments, and at its best it has a kind of stylized Coen Brothers-lite energy to it. But ultimately the filmmakers never find the proper balance of dark comedy.

Check out My Bodyguard (1980) or The Chocolate War (1988), which are much, much better movies about a High School kid dealing with a bully.

Check out My Bodyguard (1980) or The Chocolate War (1988), which are much, much better movies about a High School kid dealing with a bully.
Checked out My Bodyguard on an earlier recommendation from you in a Matt Dillion thread and enjoyed it a lot. I have not seen The Chocolate War, is it on par with My Bodyguard?..Better...worse?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by 7thson
I have not seen The Chocolate War. Is it on par with My Bodyguard?..Better...worse?
I like them about equally, though if push came to shove I suppose I'd give the edge to My Bodyguard.

Three O'Clock High kinda wants to be Ferris Bueller's Day Off mixed with Raising Arizona. But it doesn't have the heart or characters of a John Hughes flick nor the inspired dark lunacy of a Coen Brothers movie. And it doesn't come anywhere close to being as out there and dark and twisted as say Welcome to the Dollhouse. What's left is something in between all those tones and styles, and ultimately it is unsuccessful.

I think.

Unfortunately The Chocolate War isn't avialable on DVD yet. Adapted from Robert Cormier's novel by actor turned writer/director Kieth Gordon (the star of Christine and Back to School, later the filmmaker responsible for Mother Night and Waking the Dead), it stars Weird Science's Ilan Mitchell-Smith with Wallace Langham, Doug Hutchison and Adam Baldwin again, with Bud Cort and John Glover along as two of the school's teachers. Glover in particular is fantastic. Really good little flick that deserves to be much better known than it is.

I know it's probably worth the rental, but is Leone's A Fistful of Dynamite as good as Once Upon A Time in the West or the Eastwood trilogy?

Originally Posted by Lance McCool
I know it's probably worth the rental, but is Leone's A Fistful of Dynamite as good as Once Upon A Time in the West or the Eastwood trilogy?
I like Duck, You Sucker! a lot. It's a bit different than Leone's previous four films, but still very good. Just don't go in expecting The Good, the Bad & the Ugly and enjoy it for what it is.

"You're a great, grand, glorious hero of the Revolution."

Put me in your pocket...
Has anyone seen Frank Capra's You Can't Take It with You (1938)?
If so, how did you like it?

So many good movies, so little time.
Originally Posted by Aniko
I've seen it. I liked it but don't love it. It did win Best Picture and Best Director Oscars. I think it was probably a better play than a movie.

I would rank it behind Capra's

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
It Happened One Night
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Arsenic and Old Lace
and It's A Wonderful Life

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Originally Posted by Aniko
It is worth watching

Put me in your pocket...
Thanks Uncon and Nebbs....that's just what I needed to hear. I almost bought it blind yesterday on impulse. I had a gift certificate to use at Borders and You Can't Take It with You was calling out to me. But, after your comments and finding out that TCM will run it in December, I'll wait to see it then and use my gift certificate on something else. Thanks much.

Yes, I will echo that You Can't Take It With You is mid-range Capra, despite the all-star cast and big awards it won. It's not bad, but certainly not in the great or "must-own" category.

I mean, I own it of course (on LaserDisc), but I have just about everything.

Anyone seen wolf creek or mean creek
A friend reccomended wolf creek but when I read reviews on a certain tomato site it said it was crap. Then I spotted mean creek at the rental place and it looked quite good but then realised it was the wrong one and put it back. Anyone tell me anything on either?