Best Movie Ever... the 80s... Quarter-Final

Tools    

1. Ferris Bueller's Day Off v The Princess Bride
2. Back to the Future v Amadeus v The Empire Strikes Back
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark v Robocop
4. This is Spinal Tap v E.T.

It seems fun is more popular in this forum than quality. Democracy doesn't work people and this contest is proof...

1. The Princess Bride
2. Back to the Future
3. Raiders...
4. E.T.

Well, when we're voting for the "Best," that can be taken to mean "the most cinematically impressive," or just "my favorite." So I wouldn't say it's invalid.

1. The Princess Bride
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
4. E.T.

1. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
2. The Empire Strikes Back
4. N/A - I still haven't seen This is Spinal Tap. Sue me!

By the way, who says fun and quality are mutually exclusive? You did pick Back to the Future, afterall.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by bigvalbowski
2. Amadeus
4. E.T.

It seems fun is more popular in this forum than quality. Democracy doesn't work people and this contest is proof...
That was hard making me chose between two of my favorites! What would the world be like without Ferris, though?

2. Back to the Future
4. E.T.

1. The Princess Bride
2. Amadeus
4. This Is Spinal Tap
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

same as holdens picks.........but......this is SOOOO hard......even though it is just for fun i have a hard time dismissing a movie i really liked or picking something i loved for the humor over another's special effects.

YET, i think i'd pick "this is spinal tap" over just about anything..

....firegod.....you have to see it soon. i'll be starting litigation proceedings soon in you don't.

1. Princess Bride
2. Empire
3. Raiders
4. E.T.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

1. The Princess Bride (I HATED Ferris Bueller...maybe it's one of those movies you have to see when you're 10? I was rooting for the principal...that's when I knew I was getting old.)
2. Back to the Future (But I love The Empire Strikes Back just as much.)
4. E.T. (Never seen This is Spinal Tap.)

"Fabricated American"
Guess I'd have to go with:
1) Princess Bride
2) Empire Strikes Back (look at me, I''m a little wookie)
*I have to admit that I really liked Amadeus, but Empire just edged it out
3) Raiders, all the way! (Robocop? Blah!)
4) Never seen Spinal Tap, but hated ET

-GTB

kahiri and gregbunnyman......i can't help it......i have to push This is Spinal Tap.
see it if you get the chance.

and amadeus WAS a great movie.

p.s. GTB happy belated b-day from an aries to an aries

"Fabricated American"
Originally posted by patti
kahiri and gregbunnyman......i can't help it......i have to push This is Spinal Tap.
<snip>
p.s. GTB happy belated b-day from an aries to an aries
I'll have to rent Spinal Tap one of these days.
Where's my Blockbuster Card? Anyone got Popcorn?

*peeks at patti's driver's license*
No way! You look Half that age!
Happy belated birthday to you too!

-GTB

half eh? heh heh.
okay......*announcement*......GTB is my NEW favorite MoFO.

thanks for the kind words - are you a conartist-bunny?

"Fabricated American"
okay......*announcement*......GTB is my NEW favorite MoFO.
Gee, my first day here and I'm already making friends.

thanks for the kind words - are you a conartist-bunny?
Con-Artist? No. If there is one thing I try to be, it is genuine.

-GTB, Genuine-Bunny

Now With Moveable Parts
Love Greg the Bunny...nice user name. Welcome to MoFo. I see you already made some friends ( Psst~Patti's cray-zay), have fun toolin' around...just remember: Sadie=

sidenote: how do you hate E.T.?

1) The Princess Bride
2) Amadeus
3) Raiders of the Lost Ark (against Robocop, this one is a given )
4) This is Spinal Tap

I, too, will push the Tap. It's the best fun you can have with spoofing 70's-80's metal bands!

Artie: You know what I want you to do? Will you do something for me?
David St. Hubbins: What?
Artie: Do me a favor. Just kick my @ss, okay? Kick this @ss for a man, that's all. Kick my @ss. Enjoy. Come on. I'm not asking, I'm telling with this. Kick my @ss.

"Fabricated American"
Originally posted by sadesdrk
Love Greg the Bunny...nice user name.
Well thank you Sadie, I'm quite fond of it myself.

Welcome to MoFo. I see you already made some friends ( Psst~Patti's cray-zay), have fun toolin' around...just remember: Sadie=
I appreciate the warm welcome everyone has given me so far.
*Cups bunny hand and wispers into Sadie's ear* I'll take your advice about Patti, but I'm known to be a little crazy on occasion too, we may make a good match

sidenote: how do you hate E.T.?
Hmm...
...time passes...
I wanted to give this question a good answer, but I have been sitting here for several minutes, and I haven't come up with a reason.
Now that I've sat here and really thought about it, I don't know if I have actually watched the whole movie start-to-finish. I have watched pieces while flipping through cable, but I never watched it for long because I already had it in my head that I didn't like it. Boy, that IS odd.
I guess, if I'm really going to be genuine, I'm going to have to sit my bunny-butt down on the couch, watch E.T., and figure out if I really don't like it or I'm just harboring some sort of deep-seeded alien hostility.

-GTB

Now With Moveable Parts
I'll tell you what creeped me out about E.T.

that part with his white pasty body in the stream. Gross. Ew.
I hated that part. Made me sick.

Patti and Greg sittin' ina tree...

J/k.
I'm glad you feel welcomed...you should...*ahem*...hang around.

Now that I've sat here and really thought about it, I don't know if I have actually watched the whole movie start-to-finish. I have watched pieces while flipping through cable, but I never watched it for long because I already had it in my head that I didn't like it. Boy, that IS odd.
All right, Greg! Thank God somebody else had this experience! I don't think I actually saw the entire thing until I took my daughter to see it in the theater awhile ago. She loved it. I... didn't like it as much as I liked Spinal Tap. But it was okay, and I can see why it's a classic.

What irritated me, though, was the way they "cleaned it up" for the re-release. Like the scene where the kids are on their bikes with ET and fly over the Feds--in the original (I remember this much) the Feds had guns, and that made a h*lluva lot of sense, 'cause they're the Feds. Now they're holding cell phones and crap like that. Spielberg, what are you afraid of? 20 years of the guns not being a big deal, and you change it? Sheesh.

Anywho. Not that great a flick. And I agree with Sades--E. T. himself just grossed me out in general!

Mary Lo