My Favorite Movie Teachers

Tools    

Anna Leonowens, The King & I

The late Deborah Kerr received one of her seven Lead Actress Oscar nominations for her performance as a widowed British schoolteacher who is hired by a tyrannical King (Oscar winner Yul Brynner) to teach his many wives and children the ways of western culture and history.

Johnny Castle, Dirty Dancing

The late Patrick Swayze became an official movie star with his charismatic performance as a dance teacher at a Catskills resort who has a star-crossed romance with a teenage guest (Jennifer Grey).

Henry Higgins, My Fair Lady

Rex Harrison won an Oscar recreating his Tony-winning Broadway role as a phonetics teacher who accepts a bet to turn a cockney flower girl (Audrey Hepburn) into a lady by teaching her how to speak properly.

Annie Sullivan, The Miracle Worker

The late Anne Bancroft won her only Oscar playing the visually impaired teacher who is hired to teach blind, deaf, and mute Helen Keller (Oscar winner Patty Duke) how to behave and communicate like a civilized human being.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Berenger must have made the top 3, then?

10.Marian Paroo, The Music Man
Oscar winner Shirley Jones played a librarian and piano teacher who makes it her mission to reveal music "professor" Harold Hill (Robert Preston) for the fraud that he is, but ends up falling in love with him instead.
Loved this movie and Shirley Jones was spot on as the studious librarian & piano teacher.

7.Anna Leonowens, The King & I
The late Deborah Kerr received one of her seven Lead Actress Oscar nominations for her performance as a widowed British schoolteacher who is hired by a tyrannical King (Oscar winner Yul Brynner) to teach his many wives and children the ways of western culture and history.
Deborah Kerr really wins our hearts in this movie. She has such great chemistry with Yul Brynner.

5. Henry Higgins, My Fair Lady
Rex Harrison won an Oscar recreating his Tony-winning Broadway role as a phonetics teacher who accepts a bet to turn a cockney flower girl (Audrey Hepburn) into a lady by teaching her how to speak properly.
I don't care what anyone says I like Audrey Hepburn in this, and Rex Harrison cracks me up as the likeable but arrogantly gruff, phonetics teacher.

I love all three of these movies. Can't wait to see what the rest of the list is

Dr. Framk Bryant, Educating Rita

Michael Caine received an Oscar nomination for his performance as an alcoholic married literature professor who tutors a married beautician (Julie Walters).

John Keating, Dead Poet's Society

The late Robin Williams had one of his best roles and earned one of his four Oscar nominations for his performance as a teacher at a boys school whose infectious love of poetry has a profound effect on his students.

Well, that's it...that's # 2...I'm sorry if I missed anyone's favorite teacher, but honorable mentions in this category could go on forever...figuring out my # 1 shouldn't be too hard for any true buff...and now, my # 1 favorite movie teacher:

Mark Thackeray, To Sir with Love

He appeared in two other hit films the same year, including the Oscar winning Best Picture of 1967 In the Heat of the Night, but for my money, Poitier turned in the performance of his career in this unforgettable drama about a black engineering school graduate who can't get a job in that field and accepts a job teaching high schoolers on London's east end. Thackeray overcame bigotry and students' apathy when he threw away the textbooks and taught the kids how to be socially acceptable human beings.

Hope someone enjoyed the list.

Watched Educating Rita when i was younger, don't really remember it though. Not a fan of Dead Poet's Society but Williams is good. Never heard of your #1.

Congrats on finishing your list

You can't win an argument just by being right!
#1 is a classic, Cam. I think you'd like it.

Tht was fun after my initial stuff up, Gideon �� Gahh that's supposed to be a thumbsup

Watched Educating Rita when i was younger, don't really remember it though. Not a fan of Dead Poet's Society but Williams is good. Never heard of your #1.

Congrats on finishing your list
To Sir with Love is a classic that was released long before you were born Camo, you should check it out.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Really beautiful movie, champ.

Hee-hee! For once I guessed the top two!

And Gideon, just for future reference; on this site you can either call me "Mr. Steel," or, if you're slightly more daring, "O Captain, my Captain."

Hee-hee! For once I guessed the top two!

And Gideon, just for future reference; on this site you can either call me "Mr. Steel," or, if you're slightly more daring, "O Captain, my Captain."
That's how Viola Davis referred to Denzel during her Oscar acceptance speech, did you see that?

Big Faux Pas here...One honorable mention that I totally forgot to include on this list and I cannot let this list rest without honoring this memorable movie teacher.

Mr. Hand, Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Show biz vet Ray Walston created a whole new legion of fans with his memorable turn as a hard-nosed English teacher who makes life very miserable for Jeff Spicolli (Sean Penn).

Can't believe I forgot this one...my bad...the list is now complete.