Movies you think are dated

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I wouldn't call a "classic" film dated based on its age any more than I'd call a film based on current tastes "hip". Nothing changes faster than "current tastes", but a film still appreciated by many viewers so long after it was made is timeless, not dated. Of course, this is just my opinion, dated as it may be.

You are.

Dated movies are movies that were good for the people of the time they were made but aged poorly and now do not fit into current tastes.
Well, then the films you have listed aren't dated at all, as all of them are classics and are still very much loved today.

Breathless to me felt like a film made by a director attempting to create something fresh and new, very stylish and 'cool', obviously it Godard was quite important in revolutionising cinema and the film would have impacted on a lot of others, so it's feel will have been reflected in a lot of films since, so maybe it feels dated in that way where as it might have been more 'fresh' at the time. But I still found it very cool, it's the only film where I have seen such unusual jump cut editing.
Yeah, but reading reviews at the IMDB people are saying exactly that it's a dated film.

Vertigo I wouldn't say is dated, it's main strengths are in the themes it deals with with the characters, and for me the ages are not important, masculinity, domination, obsession etc. are all issues that a lot of people find important and are still very relevant today, it's a very personal film and this can be felt, it's risen over the years in terms of critical appeal and was recently voted the top critics film of all time, so I would say that it is definitely not dated.
I was only talking about ONE element of Vertigo, not that it was dated overall. Hitchcock's films are all quite dated in one sense of still being limited to being filmed theater plays.

Casablanca feels like it was made in the era that it was, yeh, but I would say most Bogart films do, this is not a bad thing though, I love the old, stylish feel of them.
I see.

Well, then the films you have listed aren't dated at all, as all of them are classics and are still very much loved today.
They feel dated for me and for many other people. Of course, there are many people worshiping stuff like Casablanca, but I wonder how popular these films are in countries that weren't exposed to these films at the time they were made.

They feel dated for me and for many other people. Of course, there are many people worshiping stuff like Casablanca, but I wonder how popular these films are in countries that weren't exposed to these films at the time they were made.
I'm Belgian and Casablanca is in no way part of our popular culture (certainly not as much as it is in America) and I think it's the best thing I've ever seen on a screen.

I can't really see what's so dated about it. It still looks great, the script is still interesting and relevant, the music is TIMELESS, etc.

But then again, you also thought Chinatown was boring, so I guess we see things very differently sometimes.

Yeh it all depends what you mean by dated, I was talking about how you can tell the time/era it was made in, but in no way do I feel some of the films you mentioned are any less powerful/relevant/good now as a result of time

Well, while many people love Casablanca I think it's easy to understand that if you show it to a person that's not used to watching films seriously he/she will not like it. Citizen Kane also applies. 90% of the people that watch Citizen Kane today think it's boring.

I think there are very few films made in the 1950's or earlier that people today wouldn't call dated.

Maybe 12 Angry Men, Seven Samurai, Hidden Fortress and Kubrick's films would be among the few that hold up well to modern tastes, 99% of films considered classics dated from before 1960 cannot be even watched by people today.

I friend of mine had a rule of thumb to watch films: only films made after 1985. He said that he cannot watch anything from before the 1980's.

I'm Belgian and Casablanca is in no way part of our popular culture (certainly not as much as it is in America) and I think it's the best thing I've ever seen on a screen.

I can't really see what's so dated about it. It still looks great, the script is still interesting and relevant, the music is TIMELESS, etc.
What's the opinion of your friends about Casablanca? I think that nearly all of my acquaintances cannot watch it without sleeping.

But then again, you also thought Chinatown was boring, so I guess we see things very differently sometimes.
I am talking about feeling dated, not exactly boring. Also I am talking about a film that feels dated relative to modern tastes and not relative to my tastes.

Anyway, talking about my tastes I noticed that I generally don't have a great attraction to the classical Hollywood style very much. The old movies that I love tend to be a bit more exotic.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Well, while many people love Casablanca I think it's easy to understand that if you show it to a person that's not used to watching films seriously he/she will not like it. Citizen Kane also applies. 90% of the people that watch Citizen Kane today think it's boring.
While I think a big part of modern people's view comes from Citizen Kane's pacing, which is more typical of the period (I think most modern films are too rushed), I think the biggest reason is that people just aren't interested in the subject matter. Not that it's dull, but how common are character studies in today's pop culture? A lot of people look for plot where Kane has character, so they miss the point.

Bonnie and Clyde. Night of the Living Dead.
I don't see how these two could be dated.Actually,I tend to think that they are very modern for their time.Both films are an example for new crime and horror films and they influence todays cinema.
If dated means something that used to be good but now isn't,I'd say that the earliest movies are dated.Everyone loved them and were amazed,not they just look like history.Or maybe it's just me as I watch them for educational purposes only.
I also think that many classics are dated but I'm not sure of I should go there and explain

What's the opinion of your friends about Casablanca? I think that nearly all of my acquaintances cannot watch it without sleeping.
The ones who've seen it actually like it. They think it's very stylish and nostalgic to older times.

I still know many people who wouldn't touch it, just because it's black and white or too old, but those kind of people's film opinions don't really matter to me, honestly.

Most of Jim Carey's hits in the late 90's and early 2000!

Yeah id say a film cant be dated if its loved by anyone, its just personal preference and some films of course are timeless, like the exorcist!

Tbh i wouldnt like to see seven samurai, it would be dated, for me.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Vertigo and Casablanca dated? Lol no. Those movies are classics, and that classic feel to them makes them all the better. I think some of you guys are missing the point of a what a "dated" film is, no offense.

Yeah id say a film cant be dated if its loved by anyone, its just personal preference and some films of course are timeless, like the exorcist!

Seven Samurai is not dated for me.

I would say that's a bit of a contradiction due to both audience and critical love for Seven Samurai. Have you actually seen it then? Don't get how you can say it would be dated for you if you haven't, it's a brilliant film that is as effective and enjoyable today as it probably was when it was made.