Choose a Favorite Film and List 10 Reasons Why You Like It So Much

Tools    

BANNED
BUMP

pulp fiction

1.The brilliant dialogues.

2.The stories.

3.The funny situations and yet realistic confronted by the characters.

4.Perfect cast.

5.The crazy twists.

6.The unforgettable scenes.

7.The subtext.

8.The style.

9.the soundtrack.

10.Epic

TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY

10. Awesome chases
9. Arnold Schwarzenegger
8. Liquid Metal!
7. Coming of Age elements
6. Beautiful soundtrack
5. Linda Hamilton
4. James Cameron
3. Unforgettable shoot outs
2. Robots
1. A Hell of a lot of fun

The Godfather

1. The Amazing Cast That Create A Realistic Family
2. Marvelous Direction that makes you feel that you are in NYC
3. The character of Michael Corleone and his change in character throughout the film
4. The Locations used in the film from studios to open wide fields in Italy that make the film look beautiful
5. The Film's dark tone and story
6. The Best Cinematography and use of color in film History
7. The Best Editing in film history (Well one of)
8. The Legacy it has left on the genre
9. The Academy Awards it picked up...It should have got more
10.The Church Scene in the climax of the film which is arguably the best scene ever put to film...EVER!!!

Brokeback Mountain

1. Heath Ledger's in it.
2. Jake Gyllenhaal's in it.
3. The acting is great.
4. The music is absolutely amazing thanks to Gustavo Santaolalla.
5. It made me tear.
6. It deals with a rather sensitive topic.
7. It's love but told in a different way.
8. It touched me in so many ways
9. The dialogue is great.
10. When I watch it I forget that it is fiction and I completely devote myself to the characters and their story.

that's what she said...
zombieland
1. has zombies in it
2. funny
3. has romance
4. never dull, keeps you entertained whole time
5. the "rules"
6. bill murry was breifly in it
7. how the "zombie apocolyse began"
8. the characters stories
9. nice cars
10. emma stone

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Con Air (1997)

1. Great combination of action, story and humour.
2. John Malkovich's Cyrus Grissom.
3. The corny guitar theme.
4. "Put the bunny back in the box."
5. Steve Buscemi as a menacing serial killer.
6. "Define irony. A bunch of idiots dancing on an aeroplane, to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash."
7. The gunfight at Lerner Airfield.
8. The part near the end where Nicolas Cage sticks a spear through Malkovich's leg.
9. It makes a serial killer escaping police custody funny.
10. "Hooray for the sounds of f**king silence."

Vertigo

1. Hitchcock at his most expressionistic
2. James Stewart's best performance
3. Gorgeous colors give a beautiful display of San Francisco
4. Haunting profile of an obsessed mind
5. Hitchcock's most personal movie
6. Bernard Herrmann's score
7. The ultimate example of casting against type
8. The twists and turns of the plot
9. The dream sequence
10. All the other performances are fantastic as well

Well, nobody's perfect
Aliens

1. James Cameron
2. Sigourney Weaver
3. The most terrifying aliens ever
4. The amazing effects
5. The score
6. The characters
7. The tension
8. The part when the alien come out of Ripleys stomach
9. The Scene
10. Because it's freaking awesome movie

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

1. It's visually amazing.
2. Harrison Ford.
3. Thrilling storyline all the way through.
4. One of the best movie scores of all-time.
5. The complexity of the characters - even the droids.
6. One terrifying villain named Darth Vader.
7. The lightsaber battle.
8. The battle over the Death Star.
9. The part where Han shot Greedo (he was the only one who fired, by the way).
10. Because it's an amazing blockbuster film.

6. One terrifying villain named Darth Vader.
Am I the only person who has never found Vader scary/frightening/evil/whatever?

Seriously, he was just 'the bad guy' as far as I was concerned.

The Godfather

1. Excellent Drama/Crime
2. Excellent Cast and Direction
3. Performance of Marlon Brando and Al Pacino.
4. Unpredictable story
5. Memorable dialogues
6. The Music...Marvelous
7. Realistic movie
8. Mostly imitated movie
9. Originality of villains
10.After watching this movie...It never step down from my heart..

One of my favourites is...

Just watched it so its all so very fresh (watched the English dub BTW):
  1. The score is magnificent and so alienating at times - really selling some of the greatest moments like the scene where the puppetmaster first speaks. It is also very understated so that when action does occur its a big event when the music rises to compliment it.
  2. One of the best English dubs on any foreign film I have ever seen. Very well acted. The voice actors balance the human voice with the artificial cyborg elements so well.
  3. The visual style is great. From design to composition. As impressive as all the CG movies have been of late, this still trumps them.
  4. Its content, the themes and story are so well written and woven that they put many Hollywood blockbusters to shame.
  5. Its made as if it was a live action film - from scene composition to pacing and direction.
  6. Excellent shootouts and, yes, gore. Its not less is more or more is less, its just enough is, well, enough.
  7. The camo. Call me superficial, but it just wowed me first time I saw it. Its the little things.
  8. The title sequence is one of the best in film history.
  9. I favour the more masculine look of Kusanagi over the book.
  10. Sound effects. Just terrific. Bullet hits, cyborg flesh tearing, etc...well done.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Am I the only person who has never found Vader scary/frightening/evil/whatever?

Seriously, he was just 'the bad guy' as far as I was concerned.

Well, to the mind of a 4 or 5 year old (when I first watched the star wars movies), the thought of a cyber-human evil guy in black, who could choke you without touching your throat, and carries a lightsaber with him was enough to give me the creeps.

Well, to the mind of a 4 or 5 year old (when I first watched the star wars movies), the thought of a cyber-human evil guy in black, who could choke you without touching your throat, and carries a lightsaber with him was enough to give me the creeps.
I still regard him as one of the top villains in cinema. The prequels ruined his enigma. Now all I see when I watch Ep4 is a kid in a pod racer going woohoo! Plus, the coming generations will miss out on the impact we had when it was revealed, 'I am your father...' - sigh...

I still regard him as one of the top villains in cinema. The prequels ruined his enigma. Now all I see when I watch Ep4 is a kid in a pod racer going woohoo! Plus, the coming generations will miss out on the impact we had when it was revealed, 'I am your father...' - sigh...
Again, I was just sat there going, "ok". Although, I saw Empire before I saw Star Wars, so maybe this was the difference.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)

1. The script is probably the greatest which Hollywood ever concocted and comes closest to the complete, utter wit level which rivals playwrights such as Oscar Wilde and Bernard Shaw. This, despite the fact that it was constantly being rewritten all the way up to the final day of shooting. Casablanca is a film with dialogue so good that many people still do not comprehend how entertaining it is because the whole thing comes across as effortlessly amusing while feigning seeming seriousness.

2. The technical acumen gathered together for the film is mind-boggling. This includes everything from Don Siegel's montages to the special effects utilizing midgets to convey proper scale, cool matte paintings, the light tower at the airport, the biff, bang, pow of the editing, the super costumes, Max Steiner's musical score, the sets of the various locations and even Sydney Greenstreet's flyswatters and Peter Lorre's haunting eyes. This is certainly the apotheosis of Curtiz's Warner Bros. career.

3. The romance is compelling in far more significant ways than the usual melodrama. The three main characters all are confused about each other's motives and it's unpredictable what will happen right up to the final scene. Yet, everything seems almost inevitable once you watch and rewatch this perfection. Take, for example, the scene where Rick gets Ilsa's letter in the rain as the train prepares to roll out of the station... how could anything ever be topped for emotional power? Look closely at Bogie's face as he tosses the "bleeding, crying" note to the ground.

4. Dooley Wilson's Sam is a hell of a singer and a perfect partner for Bogart's Rick. The scenes where Sam sings "As Time Goes By" are wonderfully nostalgic and even were when the film came out. Add to that the fact that's the one song which stabs Rick in the heart every time he hears it.

5. Speaking of music, the scene where "La Marseillaise" is sung at Rick's always generates lots of emotion and shivers down the backbone. Victor is able to rally the crowd to overcome the Nazis' singing of their patriotic song with an onslaught of honesty and newfound patriotism from the seemingly jaded crowd in the "saloon".

6. The supporting cast is unrivaled in films of the era. Maybe it seems as if there are better casts, but character-for-character, the casting could scarcely be more perfect, and Claude Rains' Louis has to take extra bows for the perfection of his line deliveries, character development and rapport with Bogie's Rick. "I'm shocked... shocked to find gambling going on here!" "Your winnings, sir." "Oh, thank you."

7. Ingrid Bergman is so damn beautiful. She's obviously younger than Bogie, but their relationship seems destined to be and what he gives her in security, she gives him in pure love. They're able to humanize and improve each other in ways far beyond the simple cliche. By the way, did I mention that Bergman is incredibly gorgeous?

8. Bogart is THE MAN in this film. He had played the cynical lead before in the wonderful The Maltese Falcon, but this solidified him as the leading man, the hero, a romantic icon, and the man far more together and capable than even our current role model -- The XX Man.

9. The finale is probably the greatest ever presented in a Hollywood film or anything even resembling a romantic thriller. Rick is able to work everything out to a T and make it all happen, all the while sharing some of the greatest lines in film history. "Round up the usual suspects." "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." If you don't dig the final scene, I don't know what to say...

10. Casablanca is many viewer's gateway into the films of Humphrey Bogart and classic films in general. It may be difficult for some people to realize this, but Bogart was probably in more films which stand the test of time than any other actor of his day and perhaps even ever. Besides that, he was a character actor who was able to straddle the line between cynicism and heroism and create a very-flawed sort of hero which eventually became the Anti-Hero so well popularized by later actors such as Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino and Robert De Niro. The thing about Bogie though was that he was a far-huger romantic leading man than any of them ever proved to be, and that is mind-boggling in and of itself. Movies would not be the same if Bogie and Casablanca did not exist.

You sold me. And I always get this too:
...the scene where "La Marseillaise" is sung at Rick's always generates lots of emotion and shivers down the backbone.
every time I watch it.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Roman Polanski's (The Tragedy of) Macbeth

1. The Beginning: On a deserted beach, the Three Weird Sisters ("Witches") dig a hole in the sand and place a human arm with a dagger in its hand and some blood into it. They cover it up and talk about meeting Macbeth later. As they walk away, fog enshrouds the screen and the titles come on. Over the titles we hear what sounds like an enormous battle raging. We also see the credit "Executive Producer Hugh M. Hefner". The credits end, the fog lifts, and armored soldiers appear on the bloody beach as we watch a victor bash to a bloody pulp the back of a combatant from the losing side.

2. The Cinematography of Gilbert Taylor: Taylor was the DP of such films as Dr. Strangelove, Star Wars, A Hard Day's Night, The Omen, Frenzy and Repulsion. Here he paints a world separated from our own by over a millenium's distance - mid-11th century Scotland. It is a brutal, primitive world, yet somehow it's occasionally bathed in warm sunlight or the beautiful green of the unscathed countryside. But mostly, even (or especially so) in its characters' dreams, their flawed humanity outshines whatever goodness may be buried within.

3. The Shakespeare Dialogue: This is a somewhat faithful version of the play but it's an incredibly cinematic one. Even so, many of the film's highlights include some of the best dialogue ever written. Some of my faves are: "Nothing in this life became him like the leaving of it"; "Double, double, toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble"; "Out, damned spot! Out I say."; "By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes!"; and my favorite, "Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace from day to day to the last syllable of recorded time; and all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

4. The Music by the Third Ear Band: The sounds heard in Macbeth are just as eerie as the visuals. The score sounds like something Roxy Music might have recorded if asked to go even more medieval and lose Bryan Ferry's vocals. The strings and oboe-sounding instrument, in particular, are often enough to drive one up a wall, so it's a perfect accompaniment to the guilty and hateful inner lives of Lord and Lady Macbeth.

5. Polanski's Direction, especially in response to the Murder of his wife and unborn child: The film has many blatant references to the murder of Sharon Tate by the Manson Family, but that is why Polanski choose this subject to film next after that terrible incident. There are numerous penetrating knives, including one into a woman's abdomen, and children are killed on screen. There are decapitations, hangings and loads of blood. I would call this film suspense/horror, so it definitely fits into Polanski's films thematically, but often the personal nature of what this film shows adds an extra dimension of true terror to the watching of it. The staging of the Mirror Scene, the Future shown in the Witches' Bubbling Cauldron, and all the other Fantasy/Dream scenes are extremely well done and make this film perhaps the most "modern" Shakespearean film which still keeps it setting intact.

6. The Acting: All the acting seems to be at least good, but much of it, especially Jon Finch's Macbeth, is extraordinary. The play is written and staged so that Macbeth and Lady Macbeth have to be the standouts and get most of the best lines and scenes, but here, Martin Shaw's Banquo, Nicholas Selby's Duncan and Terence Bayler's Macduff almost match him. This is a realistic depiction shot in castles and forests so the acting is not overly theatrical, yet it is certainly Shakespearean, if you believe there can be a difference. Finch is great whether he's doing a mental soliloquy, a physical one or interacting with other actors.

7. The Verisimilitude: This appears to be one of the most-realistic depictions of the Middle Ages ever. Unlike Excalibur, another of my fave films, this one has totally believable armor, costumes and sets. They look so great, you can almost feel them. The land itself is seen as clean and capable of beauty, but the skies above it are often very dark and the humans scheming beneath them are even darker. Technically, this film takes place after the Dark Ages, but it's difficult to conceive of a darker, yet more-realistic, world set in the Middle Ages.

8. The Climax: When birnam wood does come to Dunsinane, Macbeth still shows no fear, as he does battle and makes child's play out of all attackers. It's a violent and well-staged action set-piece. It's only after an announcement that there may actually be someone who is "not of woman born" that Macbeth starts to go psycho and the tables are turned on him in.

9. The Ending: The film's ending, back at the home of the Three Weird Sisters, implies that the themes of the play and the film are a never-ending cycle where whoever is not in power will do whatever is necessary to try to gain it. It really does paint humanity in a dark light, but I'm sure that many will accept it just as readily as I do.

10. Eternal (?) Themes: While telling a semi-historically-based Shakespearean tragedy, this film shows Mankind at its most barbaric and greedy. Human life is shown as perhaps the cheapest commodity on earth. I realize that these themes date back to the Bible and other cultural tomes, but Polanski is able to bring it up to date by using his own personal tragedy while also tying the actions in this film into something resembling a gangster saga. All the different sides here seem to have their own ethics up to a point but those who feel undervalued or shunned will sell themselves to the highest bidder. At least "The Family" in a film such as The Godfather (released the year after Macbeth) will tend to stick together, but that only goes so far, and often water is thicker than blood. The "gangs" in this film don't resemble the ones in Romeo + Juliet, except that they are willing to kill, but in that case it's for pointless, stubborn family pride. Here, Macbeth and his wife seem more akin to the Manson Family, willing to kill to fulfill some prophetic dream ("Helter Skelter") which makes no sense to anyone at all, except themselves. As time goes on in the real world, heartless greed seems to extend beyond obvious murders, pointless wars and bureaucratic power struggles. It now seems to involve the collapse of peoples' modest savings and homes so some amoral punk can grab millions of dollars and actually be proud of it. Today, there seems to be no guilt, which was the bane of Macbeth. Is this the new Dark Ages?