MoFo Lists

Tools    

I think both are great ideas, and yeah, the Lists are going to see a dramatic expansion before long. I don't want to spoil all the ideas just yet, but adding a more diverse selection is definitely part of it.

If you guys have any thoughts, drop the links in right here, and I'll save them for when we get closer to some of these changes. If they're particularly well-suited I could maybe add them earlier than that. Ideally, as Skepsis said, we'd like them for to be from a well-respected source. I think we should probably set a lower-bound for 25, and an upper-bound of 100 (Ebert's list is the only one we have larger than that, but I think that was a special circumstance).

We could have the Best Documentary Feature Oscar Winners and add the new one every year, much like we do with Best Picture and the Palme d'Or. There are a lot of bizarre omissions thanks to the Oscar voting rules, though, so maybe there are better options for that one.

There's also the TimeOut Top 50 documentaries.

There is also the BFI Screen Guide of 100 Documentary Films, which was published in 2009, so while it won't have anything from the past few years, it's a good base.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

yeah, the Lists are going to see a dramatic expansion before long. I don't want to spoil all the ideas just yet, but adding a more diverse selection is definitely part of it.
*gasp* Oh, my! You're going to add the HK 100 to the MoFo lists for my 10th anniversary?!?!?!

Bucket list complete.

Definitely going to be adding more soon, but for now I thought it would be a nice tribute to the late Roger Ebert to add his Great Movies list:

Roger Ebert's Great Movies
I really like this list

Good catch; I've been linking everything up to the new database, and there's so many that I've got to do them in bulk, which means that sort of thing happens sometimes. Have it fixed right after I let everyone know about this, our latest list.

Movie Forums: Top Comic Book Movies

That's a really good idea, I think, given our need of a foreign films list. I've got a lot on the ol' plate at the moment, but I'll put that a little higher on the To-Do list. Thanks!

I'd like to see a "foreign" list here but to be honest the Oscars aren't really that great of a representation. Problem is I'm not finding a good alternative. I think we might need to make one.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."