What Does it Take to Be the Greatest Movie of All Time?

Tools    

Is it possible to win all of the Academy Awards?
32.26%
10 votes
Yes
67.74%
21 votes
No
31 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I just know they're coming to kill me.
What does it take? Well, if you ask me, it would have to win every Academy Award. Yep. It would have to. It may sound impossible, but it is very well possible. Well, that's what I think it has to take. How about you guys? What do you think it has to take to be the Greatest Movie of all Time?

You just let me know when a live action feature film wins the best animated short Oscar, won't you, Bub?

The criteria for a great film is maleable, but I'm 100% sure it can't star Steven Seagal or Jean-Claude Van Damme.

What the fu*k do you think Oscars have to do with the quality of a movie? Hate to break it to you, but there is no automatic correlation. None.

Three different films over the years have won "the big five" Oscars: Picture, director, actor, actress and screenplay. They are It Happened One Night, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Silence of the Lambs.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
You just let me know when a live action feature film wins the best animated short Oscar, won't you, Bub?
I forgot about that one. Nope, it's impossible.

well, amadeus won 8 acadamy awards and was nominated for others. and although very good I would not even say it would come close to the best movie of all time.

its hard to label something like that, everyone has there own tastes and preferenceses. if it were up to me, I would have to say requiem for a dream, or something like that. but that is just my favorite, and im sure most people would not agree.

You talkin to me?

gimme a break. would'nt it make more sense to watch it yourself and figure out how it is before talking about any award shows?

for me, i dunno exactly what it would take, but i have some definite preferences. it might be silent, have buster keaton in it, feature some good stunts, a pretty silent actress with nice gams, go minimal on the schmaltzy romance, be kind of weird, a nice sardonic sense of humor and style, and have lots of original -preferably surreal- gags.

either that or it might be long, slow, possibly asian [though not necessarily], have just enough ambiguity to keep me questioning [going back for more], not have too much music, again minimal on the schmaltz, have a mature, depressing humanist world view [will eisner-esque], and have a nice mixture of emotional distance and engagement.

or it might be animated [though not heavy on cg, if at all it should be totally unintrusive], feature a weird sound track, be weird looking [for example i like cartoons with giant insects and weird looking robots [this includes to a limited extent certain anime mecha of the gundam ilk, but more specifically i'm thinking along less generically stylized lines, like for example giant robo, the iron giant, laputa, superman: mechanical monsters...] -- possibly insect-like robots], and lots of action [i like seeing insects and robots fight].

damn, i'm trying to be as specific as possible, but different areas of specific interest keep popping up. i kind of prefer these kinds of criteria for chosing new films to check out. what about you? what kinds of weird criteria, or "film fetishes" cause you guys to go bananas [to the beat] [besides -- nah, i guess how many oscars it has won can be a sort of criteria].

ian
Hi i noticed the forum on Taxi Driver. I am doing a project on the film and need opinions, ideas, what they like about the film about Travis. All opinions valued

Originally Posted by Taxi Driver
well, amadeus won 8 acadamy awards and was nominated for others. and although very good I would not even say it would come close to the best movie of all time.

its hard to label something like that, everyone has there own tastes and preferenceses. if it were up to me, I would have to say requiem for a dream, or something like that. but that is just my favorite, and im sure most people would not agree.

The End Has Come
What does it take to be the greatest movie of all time?
When people don't mind watching it 24/7 for the rest of their lives.

Still criteria: a total and complete lack of Pauley Shore, Jean Claude Van Damme, Joe Ezterhas, McG, Michael Bay and/or Joel Schumacher from having had anything at all to do with the production.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Still criteria: a total and complete lack of Pauley Shore, Jean Claude Van Damme, Joe Ezterhas, McG, Michael Bay and/or Joel Schumacher from having had anything at all to do with the production.
What if it's a documentary about a terrible road rage incident where Michael Bay is murdered by Joel Schumacher who promptly sticks a crooked crowbar in his arse until he bleeds to death? I'd call it the greatest film of all time.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

This is the most stupidest movie poll question I've seen.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet

Ditto!

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by ian
Hi i noticed the forum on Taxi Driver. I am doing a project on the film and need opinions, ideas, what they like about the film about Travis. All opinions valued
The quote you have is from a member of these forums, Taxi Driver, not to be confused with the Scorsese masterpiece. There are many Scorsese fans around, including myself, and we love the film. Not sure if you have used the search to look for actual Taxi Driver posts. it will be tough with a member having the same name....

Originally Posted by Sedai
The quote you have is from a member of these forums, Taxi Driver, not to be confused with the Scorsese masterpiece. There are many Scorsese fans around, including myself, and we love the film. Not sure if you have used the search to look for actual Taxi Driver posts. it will be tough with a member having the same name....
not to be confused with me thats a different taxi driver

Neutral Milk Hotel
I think that Forrest Gump has all the Elemants to be the greatest movie of all time. there is innocence, sadness, and some very happy and touching moments. They explain drugs and sex in a subtle way which is perfect. you see things from the innocent view of Forrest ( such as him saying Jennys Father was a very loving man ). I think the scene of Jenny throwing Rocks at the house is beautifull. It IMO has all the perfect elemants to be the greates film of all time.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Not possible. I've seen many many movies that far exceeded others in talent effort and the execution of it only fail to win an/the academy award. The reason? It's an Academy. As we all know, any institution has bias. You can't win all of them because you can't be appealing enough to everyone to win all of them whether or not you deserve all of them. Looking back at Titanic, there's no way in hell that movie deserved all those Academy awards so it's a real mess. And if the situation ever came up when the Academy had to decide whether or not to give one movie all of the Academy awards one year, do you really think the liberal Academy would be willing to do that?? Pfft. A rock in my shoe, they are.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
What if it's a documentary about a terrible road rage incident where Michael Bay is murdered by Joel Schumacher who promptly sticks a crooked crowbar in his arse until he bleeds to death? I'd call it the greatest film of all time.
Nope, Michael Moore's bound to direct it - including an hour long interview (dressed as a chicken, natch) with the MD of Crowbars-R-Us, where MM shows MD photos of Bay's unusually shaped coffin.*

"If it was crooked, it ain't one of ours."

*to a groovy Polka soundtrack...

Originally Posted by Krackalackin
Not possible. I've seen many many movies that far exceeded others in talent effort and the execution of it only fail to win an/the academy award. The reason? It's an Academy. As we all know, any institution has bias. You can't win all of them because you can't be appealing enough to everyone to win all of them whether or not you deserve all of them. Looking back at Titanic, there's no way in hell that movie deserved all those Academy awards so it's a real mess. And if the situation ever came up when the Academy had to decide whether or not to give one movie all of the Academy awards one year, do you really think the liberal Academy would be willing to do that?? Pfft. A rock in my shoe, they are.
And what does the Academy being "liberal" have to do with anything you are rambling about? Why wouldn't the "liberal" Academy give all the major awards to one very liberal movie then?

I am having a nervous breakdance
And what does the Academy being "liberal" have to do with anything you are rambling about? Why wouldn't the "liberal" Academy give all the major awards to one very liberal movie then?
Like Supersize Me?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

film making extraordinaire
Haha, Michael Bay sucks.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
It's gotta have John Wayne and Montomgery Clift in it.

Other than that, no real criteria. It should have some entertainment value. Be well written and shot. Should have probably influenced film in a certain way. It also should be innovative and groundbreaking, doing something that is ballsy and unconventional for the time. Should also make some timeless statement about the human condition or least one of them such as love, hate, sacrifice, or betrayal.

And it should have an animal in it. Preferably either a cat or a squirrel.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201