The Wicker Man

Tools    

So what's with all the darkness? Half of the original's power lay in the fact that all the key scenes took place in broad daylight.

Originally Posted by Purandara88
So what's with all the darkness? Half of the original's power lay in the fact that all the key scenes took place in broad daylight.
This didn't even come out yet and you're comparing it to that scottish Wicker Man version. Everybody complains saying "Oh no, not a remake", when all they see is a trailer and/or even just a poster or two. That's kind of ridiculous don't you think?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by jrs
when all they see is a trailer and/or even just a poster or two. That's kind of ridiculous don't you think?
Idunno, when I see a poster like this, negativity is founded. Misdirection in marketing is a good sign of a lack of faith in a movie...

Originally Posted by OG-
when I see a poster like this negativity is founded. Misdirection in marketing is a good sign of a lack of faith in a movie...
The one-sheet I have posted below, really isn't bad marketing. Though the picture itself on it may turn some people off. Like I said before. a poster really isn't a perfect way to judge a film.

Originally Posted by jrs
This didn't even come out yet and you're comparing it to that scottish Wicker Man version. Everybody complains saying "Oh no, not a remake", when all they see is a trailer and/or even just a poster or two. That's kind of ridiculous don't you think?
Why is it ridiculous? There's absolutely no need to remake a film that was just fine the first time, thank you. And definitely no need to do it with no talent hacks like Cage.

Originally Posted by Purandara88
And definitely no need to do it with no talent hacks like Cage.
Excuse me? These films weren't done by no hack actor. If you haven't seen any of them maybe you'll know.

The Weather Man
Lord of War
The Life of David Gale
Adaptation
Windtalkers
Leaving Las Vegas
Guarding Tess
Honeymoon in Vegas
David Lynch's Wild at Heart
Moonstruck

Leaving Los Vegas is almost tolerable, despite Scrunchy Face Cage and his one trick 'acting.' The rest are mediocre at best.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
Cage is God-awful. Except for Moonstruck. But I have a theory on that. I think the overall crappy acting of Nick Cage got cancelled by the overall crappy acting of Cher.

District B13
Somewhat stupified by the trailer, but I have faith in Neil Labute. He seems to have the best and most shocking social commentary in his movies.

BUT.... the movie looks like the cliche slasher flicks of the early-mid 90's. That's a fact I'm quite appalled at, actually.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by gohansrage
Cage is God-awful. Except for Moonstruck. But I have a theory on that. I think the overall crappy acting of Nick Cage got cancelled by the overall crappy acting of Cher.
I think Moonstrick is his best role, but Cher or no, "I ain't no monument to justice" is one of my favorite moments in film.

As for the marketing, I don't think people are judging the film by the marketing, so much as judging the marketing by the marketing, which seems fair to me. I think we've all seen films that were terribly marketed and been able to separate the film from the ad campaign.

www.forumninja.com
Wild at Heart is one of the worst, most overrated films ever made. Next to some of Lynch's other films (particularly The Elephant Man, The Straight Story, and Mulholland Drive), it's just plain embarrassing. Indulgent filmmaking to the hilt.

As for Cage... I think he CAN be a great actor. Like Jennifer Connelly, he just has to be directed well.

Cage in Con Air? Tragic. Cage in Matchstick Men? Magnificent (and I'm not even that big a fan of Riddley Scott).

Face/Off? Godawful (I enjoy the movie, however). Bringing Out the Dead? Awesome.

And so on.