The Walking Dead: Season 7

Tools    

I laugh at that every time that chick, or really anyone in her group speaks. I must have missed the start of the episode when the crew met that new group so maybe there was an explanation, but it drives me crazy to think that not just one person, but an entire group of people just happened to forget their native language over the course of a few years. Especially given that there has been an entire community available to practice that language with.

Honest question: was that explained? Did they all take a vow of partial silence or something? That made sense in mad Max. I mean, that was a gap of a few generations I think. Sure language will get distorted. But 2-3 years? That's just silly.

To the Negan method of character acting: I often tease my coworker about how to play Negan. Just hold something over your shoulder, lean back as you emphasize every second word in a phrase, and then smile while cocking your head to the side. Don't get me wrong, I love the character and the actor. But it does crack me up sometimes.

I enjoy the show. As with many things though, it frustrates me to see such efforts being made to create something interesting, then be so lazy in the details or character motivation, contrived plot points, and stunted progression.

"le grrr," said the french dog. Or Mr. Garrison during role play.
I'm still one of those people sticking with it and enjoying it, despite moaning. The new group's lack of words is quite funny, but Negan gets right on my nerves. It's a shame those girls didn't get to poison him. He's in next season isn't he - boo!?

Lots of survival foods have 20+ year shelf lives. I have a stockpile of emergency food for hurricane season that has a 25 year shelf life, and several mylar pouch items gotten in any grocery store have a 10 year shelf life.
yes, not surprised. The sell by/use by dates for food has got a lot of people paranoid.

@OdumC give me a break. It was lazy writing and your justification for it seems weak. All these zombies have guns just strapped to their backs? Come on. If you're easily fooled into thinking it was a logical step for events, then I don't know what to tell you. I found it contrived and dumb. The one 'saving' grace, if you even want to call it that, is that the woman said it wasn't enough. So yay, more filler of them looking for guns then obviously finding a bunch, probably a big montage.

A character desperately needs to find something, stumbles into a giant yard full of them......yeah....
they didn't all have the strapped to their backs, hyperbole much? a few of the soldiers had them, and they showed them picking up several off the ground.

But sure, finding guns at a fallen military blockade is completely unrealistic.

And yeah, also unrealistic how they found what they were looking for when they were.... specifically looking for them and showed they went further out by Rick saying "Just one more day" day after day.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
@OdumC
This is completely off topic, but I had to bring it to light. First, I love your avatar. Great composition and fun character. Second, for whatever reason whenever I'm reading one of your posts, I see Brian Griffin in my peripheral when I'm focused on your text. I always momentarily forget what your AV actually is until I look back to it, then I am startled bit to find it's Jason instead of a cartoon dog. That.... is trippy.

Alright. Please continue the TWD thread, zed.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I think it's been picked up for However Many They Want to Make. The ratings seem to have peaked a year or two ago, but it's still a huge hit, particularly in the demo, so next season (and the one beyond that) either has been picked up, or is just a formality.
I'm more than happy for shows continuing their success and for fans who still love it (or other shows this popular). I just completely lost connection with the characters nd not even negan can prick my ears up as the big bad. Might try the last two episodes to see what everyone in the thread is laughing about.

@OdumC
This is completely off topic, but I had to bring it to light. First, I love your avatar. Great composition and fun character. Second, for whatever reason whenever I'm reading one of your posts, I see Brian Griffin in my peripheral when I'm focused on your text. I always momentarily forget what your AV actually is until I look back to it, then I am startled bit to find it's Jason instead of a cartoon dog. That.... is trippy.

Alright. Please continue the TWD thread, zed.
Thanks, that's my favorite pic in that mask, I was wearing a blue shirt and for some reason it make the eye sockets glow blue

Back on point:
I think the issue with finding a large stash of guns at this point in time anywhere is the issue. Much like obvious food caches (supermarkets, convenience stores, restaurants, etc.), weapon caches would most likely be wiped out this long into the new world. The only real logical argument against that is to assume that 1) no one else has also been scavenging (for years, at this point), and 2) that none of the local community members or even those directly involved with the weapon caches were aware of them. At some point during the crisis transition, food would have been looted. At some point during the crisis transition people would have sought a means of defense and offense. Friends would have pooled their knowledge of resources to then raid any known stash of arms. If the Average Joe Banker didn't know, then surely the local farmers and hunters would have immediately made that priority.

The probability that a complete stranger to a rural area would just happen upon a mass source of firearms (by dumb-luck discovery) that none of the local folk who were intimately familiar with the area bothered to check or simply completely ignored, is on par with successfully navigating an asteroid field---approximately 3,720 to 1.

Locals would have known of and looted any remaining stashes available long before now. The bulk would have been spread thin as groups began to die off, leaving a few survivors to carry what they could to safer areas effectively leaving a bread crumb trail of guns and ammo to wherever those survivors ultimately died.

As a writer, all it takes is to question it. Compare the odds of your audience's average need to ask that same question to the difficulty of creating an alternate solution and there you go. I guess they either aren't asking these practical questions, or just don't believe their viewer base will bother. Some of us do, and it's annoying.

I'm more than happy for shows continuing their success and for fans who still love it (or other shows this popular). I just completely lost connection with the characters nd not even negan can prick my ears up as the big bad. Might try the last two episodes to see what everyone in the thread is laughing about.
For me, it's mostly the pacing of it all. I've swallowed my expectations of a lot of things since season 1, but I still enjoy the series over all. This season half is just damn slow! So the awkward faults in logic are just more obvious without the rest of the show's progression to cover them up. Especially in Abe's case where an entire episode is dedicated to a poorly developed impracticality. Maybe that was his character, but they could have planted that seed earlier in the series as we were discovering who he is, rather than just throw it all together last minute for the sake of the conclusion.

Mr Dani said the same thing - it's so slow it's going backwards. I think the last episode I saw was Carol's episode where she met the guy with the tiger. I love character arcs generally but dont like this fad of giving one or two characters an entire episode, and I simply just dont like Carol at all. I think the actress is great but really went totally off the character with the 'do you want a cookie' scene. No actually, I disliked her from the getgo because she was a cryer, then she sort of transformed into a psychopath over night.

Back on point:
I think the issue with finding a large stash of guns at this point in time anywhere is the issue. Much like obvious food caches (supermarkets, convenience stores, restaurants, etc.), weapon caches would most likely be wiped out this long into the new world. The only real logical argument against that is to assume that 1) no one else has also been scavenging (for years, at this point), and 2) that none of the local community members or even those directly involved with the weapon caches were aware of them. At some point during the crisis transition, food would have been looted. At some point during the crisis transition people would have sought a means of defense and offense. Friends would have pooled their knowledge of resources to then raid any known stash of arms. If the Average Joe Banker didn't know, then surely the local farmers and hunters would have immediately made that priority.

The probability that a complete stranger to a rural area would just happen upon a mass source of firearms (by dumb-luck discovery) that none of the local folk who were intimately familiar with the area bothered to check or simply completely ignored, is on par with successfully navigating an asteroid field---approximately 3,720 to 1.

Locals would have known of and looted any remaining stashes available long before now. The bulk would have been spread thin as groups began to die off, leaving a few survivors to carry what they could to safer areas effectively leaving a bread crumb trail of guns and ammo to wherever those survivors ultimately died.

As a writer, all it takes is to question it. Compare the odds of your audience's average need to ask that same question to the difficulty of creating an alternate solution and there you go. I guess they either aren't asking these practical questions, or just don't believe their viewer base will bother. Some of us do, and it's annoying.
Well keep in mind the area was fenced off, crawling with walkers, and the building was locked up tight, the only way they got into it was accidently falling through the roof.

For some reason most groups seem to shy away from taking on large groups, Like the Governor commenting that the prison was untakable when it was actually pretty simple.. so the random stray survivor finding the fenced off area and debating on going in would steer clear seeing the field of dead waiting on them especially not knowing what was in the building.

That's not even going on how many people might have actually tried getting in and just been added to the walkers numbers.

My biggest issue with the whole scene was just how they are on top of a car, relatively safe, and instead of using the katana to start lopping heads decide to jump down and run around like idiots.

Bck to the food issue, one question I always had when people complained that no one seemed serious about agriculture was wouldnt there be a lot of garden escapes after 2-3 years? I wouldnt be looking for processed food in that situation. I'd be foraging. Zombies arent going to be eating fruit and veg. And I'd probably move to the coast to be able to fish. And where re all the birds?

I laugh at that every time that chick, or really anyone in her group speaks. I must have missed the start of the episode when the crew met that new group so maybe there was an explanation, but it drives me crazy to think that not just one person, but an entire group of people just happened to forget their native language over the course of a few years. Especially given that there has been an entire community available to practice that language with.

Honest question: was that explained? Did they all take a vow of partial silence or something? That made sense in mad Max. I mean, that was a gap of a few generations I think. Sure language will get distorted. But 2-3 years? That's just silly.

To the Negan method of character acting: I often tease my coworker about how to play Negan. Just hold something over your shoulder, lean back as you emphasize every second word in a phrase, and then smile while cocking your head to the side. Don't get me wrong, I love the character and the actor. But it does crack me up sometimes.

I enjoy the show. As with many things though, it frustrates me to see such efforts being made to create something interesting, then be so lazy in the details or character motivation, contrived plot points, and stunted progression.

"le grrr," said the french dog. Or Mr. Garrison during role play.
I don't find the language issue too hard to believe.

Each generation naturally experiences widespread alterations, additions and deletions to the English language.

Anytime a major event (whether it's a devastating catastrophe, epidemic, war, terrorist attack, political change, life-changing invention, new technology, social change, etc.) occurs we usually pick up several new words - so a worldwide catastrophe would have that effect to an even greater degree.

Just look at the changes in words & phrases each time a new Presidential administration takes over (I won't go into examples here, but Bush, Obama and Trump each gave us brand new lexicons).

Additions to the dictionary sky-rocketed with the onset of computer technology & the Internet (another major albeit long-term event) more so than any other time since the Industrial age.

And any time there is a mixing of people, classes or increased diversity, language changes. So in the realm of a zombie apocalypse (a major, traumatic, global event) where most people are now on the move and intermingling with others, bringing both their personal phraseology, cultural & ethnic background, and geographic way of speaking with them, it's not hard to imaging that vastly different versions of English would begin to crop up very quickly.

Bck to the food issue, one question I always had when people complained that no one seemed serious about agriculture was wouldnt there be a lot of garden escapes after 2-3 years? I wouldnt be looking for processed food in that situation. I'd be foraging. Zombies arent going to be eating fruit and veg. And I'd probably move to the coast to be able to fish. And where re all the birds?
At least we see Darryl hunting squirrels occasionally - small game would become a major food source once society broke down.

Camera crews spook them. Birds get timid during zombie apocalypses. I've seen it time and time again. They're already pretty shy as it is. Start following actors around with lights, riggings, and cameras and they're like, "bump this. I'd rather poop on zombies. At least they're predictable."

So basically, if you ever find yourself a survivor of a zombie world remodeling reality show, then listen for the birds. If you don't hear them, odds are there's another crew nearby. That and the thunky-clunky sounds of Harleys driving by are a dead give aways. "dead." Get it? OMG I kill me! I did it again!!! mwahahahahaha...ah......ha.....

eh. =\
ok. I'm all sad now.

LOL. That;s better than the show! Gold.

I don't find the language issue too hard to believe.

Each generation naturally experiences widespread alterations, additions and deletions to the English language.

Anytime a major event (whether it's a devastating catastrophe, epidemic, war, terrorist attack, political change, life-changing invention, new technology, social change, etc.) occurs we usually pick up several new words - so a worldwide catastrophe would have that effect to an even greater degree.

Just look at the changes in words & phrases each time a new Presidential administration takes over (I won't go into examples here, but Bush, Obama and Trump each gave us brand new lexicons).

Additions to the dictionary sky-rocketed with the onset of computer technology & the Internet (another major albeit long-term event) more so than any other time since the Industrial age.

And any time there is a mixing of people, classes or increased diversity, language changes. So in the realm of a zombie apocalypse (a major, traumatic, global event) where most people are now on the move and intermingling with others, bringing both their personal phraseology, cultural & ethnic background, and geographic way of speaking with them, it's not hard to imaging that vastly different versions of English would begin to crop up very quickly.
Generations, yes. But this was the course of maybe three years. The only way I buy this level of broken language is if this entire community had already been a non-english speaking sub culture. Like a Korean community of immigrants that really only spoke enough english language to maintain level standards with the neighboring communities. In that case, I buy it but as a result of already not knowing the language and not as a side effect of the apocalyptic event. If they already spoke english before the event, I seriously doubt 3 years would destroy an adult's life of language experience. Especially considering there are other survivors to keep in practice.

Even if someone had been left alone for three years, I doubt their language skills would be destroyed. Communication and social skills would be out the window for sure! Psychological trauma would exist, definitely; but that would manifest in more obvious ways than broken Yoda sentences. I think Morgan's second appearance is a good sample of where someone in such isolation would most likely be, what with scattered ramblings and hallucinations. But he still knew his language! If so, "Kah-ruuuhl" should barely be drooling out his vowels by now.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Back on point:

You can maybe argue about low chances of finding "mass" sources of firearms, BUT the US has around 1 gun per person today (300+ million), so lets say that the Zombie Apoc drastically reduces the population of the US to perhaps somewhere sub 1 million, so now you have these 1 million survivors or less running around with 300 million firearms to be found and used. Obviously most of these 300 million will be small guns, handguns for example or hunting rifles but there are still loads of automatic weapons around, even if its say 25 automatic rifles per 1 survivor that's still plenty.

LOL. That;s better than the show! Gold.
You don't even WATCH the show! you claiming Carol went from weepy to a psychopath like a light switch confirms that what you watched you weren't even following...

Season 1, Carol was an abused wife. her husband was killed towards the end of the season, she demanded to bash his head in before he turned.

Season 2, Carol was still a bit cowed, but a protective mother. then she lost her daughter, the last of her family.

Season 3, Carol starts rebuilding her life at the prison with her new family, sees several of them killed when the Governor comes knocking.

Season 4, Carol takes it on herself to teach the kids at the prison to defend themselves so they won't be easy prey for walkers. (wonder why?) ends up killing a couple diseased and dying people to try to insure the rest of the group doesn't get the disease

Season 5, Carol has to kill her last adoptive daughter after finding out she's a straight up psychopath.

As for her "want a cookie" moments, Carol is a chameleon. she plays up the suzy homemaker routine so strangers don't realize she's a very present danger. she did it at Alexandria, she tried it at the kingdom but Ezekiel saw right through it, but after the group was supposedly settled in, she felt they were safe enough for her to exile herself to atone for all her killing. (hence her guilt reading her ledger where she'd made marks for all her kills) now that she found out her family is once again in danger, she's coming out of retirement to do what needs to be done to protect her family.

Carol has one of the greatest character arcs since Heisenberg on breaking Bad.

OMG OMG OMG I feel like I'm back on imdb, Odum You'll give me nightmares.

I have made it quite clear what I think of the show and how I watch it. With my eyes closed is my usual response. I;m just here for spoilers so I dont have to watch it at all until Negan does something interesting.

And I cant tolerate Carol. If you love the character, that's great.

You can maybe argue about low chances of finding "mass" sources of firearms, BUT the US has around 1 gun per person today (300+ million), so lets say that the Zombie Apoc drastically reduces the population of the US to perhaps somewhere sub 1 million, so now you have these 1 million survivors or less running around with 300 million firearms to be found and used. Obviously most of these 300 million will be small guns, handguns for example or hunting rifles but there are still loads of automatic weapons around, even if its say 25 automatic rifles per 1 survivor that's still plenty.
The real issue would be ammo. A scavenger might grab as many guns as they can carry that they find in a house that belonged to a hunter or gun enthusiast, but they'll probably take all the ammo they can carry that goes with them. You may come upon the same house and say "jackpot - a gun collector's house!" but come to find all the ammo for the guns that are left is gone.

And a gun may last for decades, but ammo is non-renewable and, unless you're Eugene, most people don't know how to make bullets (I know I don't).

Finding ammo could be difficult too - you may have a guns, but if you can't find the right ammo for them (maybe somebody took all those size bullets from a gun shop already), they're useless.