Hereafter

→ in
Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Ugh. I'm bothered by how much I didnt' like this movie, and why. I really wanted to like it. This is a topic that I've dwelt upon (yes! Upon it I dwelt!!) recently, as a girl I'd known as a kid just up and died recently.

It's not like I was expecting answers from this movie. But in terms of the characters we're given and the exploration of the subject, it seemed sort of shallow. And there's a bit at the end, I'll spare you the spoilers, but it seemed really REALLY Hollywood.

The cast is interesting. Damon is good. He's very understated and seems grounded and earnest, which are necessary for his character. The woman who dies and comes back (it was in the trailer, don't get your knickers in a twist) is great. She's really interesting looking and great for the role. The kid in it is good, but really not great. Which is a problem because emotionally, he carries a lot of weight in the point of the film. But it was sort of distracting that he wasn't up to it.

Furthermore, re distractions, the whole film, end to end, is overexposed. It was like they were trying to make it all dark, because the tone of the storytelling is pretty much schmaltzy sentiment, dressed up as a mystery but with its pink slip hanging down about 2". :/

Ennywho... has anyone else seen this? I feel the need to discuss.

I have not, but plan too as soon as I can. I'm in the bag for Eastwood as you may or may not know and this looks like yet another step on his journey to, what? His own death maybe? I don't know, but you've intrigued me a bit with your review because I think I really get Eastwood and so I'm looking forward to this a bit more now.

Not to imply that you somehow don't get him, but I also don't know if you're as in the bag for him as I am. So, yeah. Thanks.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm a fan of his, either. I'm curious to find out, actually.

I liked Unforgiven a lot. Ditto, Midnight in the Garden... and Bridges of Madison Co. I liked Million Dollar Baby, but the ads for it looked super tear-jerky, and due to that it was a long time before I saw it. I didn't see the one where he's dealing with hood-rats, it looked so very schmaltzy.

I'm not sure if I'm getting too sensitive to manipulative cinema to appreciate his direction, or if I'm just getting cynical and he's awesome and I'm missing subtleties.

Tell me I'm crazy, PW.

I'm fairly certain I'm not qualified to label anyone crazy. Crackhead? Sure. But I don't think you've even come close to that threshold yet.

Gran Torino is definitely worth a watch I reckon as it doesn't have a typical Hollywood ending. Nor does it have a major cast per se other than Eastwood.

Man, I haven't seen Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil in several years. That is such a good flick. Think I may to go throw that in pretty soon.

Great info' - I want to see this soon, but it looked a bit presumptuous to me and after your thoughts maybe I can wait for DVD. Not sure.

I'd only recommend the big screen if there are amazing visuals in something. I'd definitely say it can wait for DVD. The only visual that is really cool is the tidal wave, which you can see in the trailer, and I think the raw power of it would work fine on a tv.

mmmmmwoops! Didn't realise there was a thread already - I looked down the page and didn't see one. Maybe someone with magical thread-combining powers can merge these?

I agree with your review. I think the coldness of the picture hampered my ability to connect with the characters, but it was also that getting to know the little boy and the woman seemed kind of sketched, rather than having a minute to start to like them. I wonder how this might have been accomplished with better results.