Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...

I give you guys a lot of credit for writing reviews, in part because I can't and I really admire the ability. That said. A golden rule I heard a long time ago, is find a reviewer that appeals to your tastes. Everyone knows Iro is a great reviewer, but I get lost trying to figure out where he comes from and what he really likes and why.

I also think people hand out rep like halloween candy because this is the participation thread.
Let me know if you actually want to have this conversation.

Anyway...

Hot Fuzz -

Still my least favourite.

Welcome to the human race...
Understandable. It's a love or hate film for sure.

AND you did give it another chance after all.
Yeah, them's the breaks. At least it has a few shots/editing choices that I did think were kind of cool but that's about it.

Anyway...

Crank: High Voltage -

F*ck this movie.

The Last House on Dead End Street (1977)

This is an infamous low budget shocker with a bit of an interesting history, although not interesting enough for me to want to get into it. A guy decides to make snuff films after he gets out of the clink for a drug charge. The movie has a very foreboding atmosphere and musical score, and pretty good gore effects for it's budget. It's fairly creepy with it's share of WTF moments, and also some pretty hot chicks. It's a pretty bizarre movie, and what Killer Joe did for fried chicken, this movie does for a goat hoof.

Barking Dogs Never Bite (2000)

mr. Bong feature debut and nice dark comedy. Interesting to see some of social issues in S. Korea at the late 90s resemblance of us in recent years (or probably it's just typical asian countries issues lol).

Family Plot (1976)

This thriller was Alfred Hitchcock's last effort as a director. I'd say he went out with a bang

It's not made-for-tv.

Yeah..I was thinking of another movie of a similar nature. Whoops.

Tyrannosaur (2011)

Very bleak British drama that seems to have one upsetting scene after another. Very well made with excellent performances. A powerful film.

Naked Blood (1996)

A scientist developes a pain killer, but it works too well, turning the pain into pleasure. Three girls agree to test the drug, and you can predict what happens next. There's not much to the movie, but it's only 75 minutes long, kept my interest, and has some nice disgusting scenes. In the scene pictured above, one of the girls eats her eyeball right after eating her vagina and one of her nipples.

I'd say he went out with a fizzle. I like Hitchcock, but that movie sucks.
Looks like we disagree on a lot of things!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Originally Posted by cricket
Naked Blood (1996)
Hater! The metaphysical cactus alone deserves three stars!

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Forest

(Jason Zada)

Back in the 90's, when the internet was still new to people, there was a 'fun' craze that people would send others via email. You'd open the attachment and be told to have your volume up high while starring at a serene picture. Then out of nowhere a spooky face when pop up on the screen with a loud scream. It would freak people out, a classic jump scare. This is all The Forest is, cheap jump scares.

I'm surprised at how well this horror film was received with the critics because I found it to be lacking. The premise is good enough for a spooky horror film, but The Forest never bothers to use the setting it thrusts itself in to genuine scary effect. It's sad actually, that the film fails on these levels because I can only thing, 'what could have been'.

Sara discovers that her twin sister Jess has disappeared in Japan. She was last seen heading into Aokigahara, known as the Suicide Forest. Believing her to still be alive, Sara heads to Japan and into the woods with a guide to find her.

Natalie Dormer, of Game of Thrones fame, headlines this horror flick and plays double duty as the twins. The role doesn't ask much of her, just to be scared when needed and yell her sisters name a bunch of times. Taylor Kinney ventures into the forest with her. He's a journalist that hopes to cover the story. Are things what they seem with him? Who knows, the film doesn't really bother to answer these questions.

The horror elements don't really come into effect until late in the film, by then I felt bored by the tepidness of everything. The film takes place in a spooky forest for crying out loud, but it never takes advantage of this. It's the perfect atmosphere that a better director could creatively use to his/her advantage. This is why The Forest is such a disappointment, even by horror standards. It's just not scary.

Were told not to believe what we see in the forest, I can't believe I watched this.

Suspect's Reviews

The Forest

(Jason Zada)

Back in the 90's, when the internet was still new to people, there was a 'fun' craze that people would send others via email. You'd open the attachment and be told to have your volume up high while starring at a serene picture. Then out of nowhere a spooky face when pop up on the screen with a loud scream. It would freak people out, a classic jump scare. This is all The Forest is, cheap jump scares.

I'm surprised at how well this horror film was received with the critics because I found it to be lacking. The premise is good enough for a spooky horror film, but The Forest never bothers to use the setting it thrusts itself in to genuine scary effect. It's sad actually, that the film fails on these levels because I can only thing, 'what could have been'.

Sara discovers that her twin sister Jess has disappeared in Japan. She was last seen heading into Aokigahara, known as the Suicide Forest. Believing her to still be alive, Sara heads to Japan and into the woods with a guide to find her.

Natalie Dormer, of Game of Thrones fame, headlines this horror flick and plays double duty as the twins. The role doesn't ask much of her, just to be scared when needed and yell her sisters name a bunch of times. Taylor Kinney ventures into the forest with her. He's a journalist that hopes to cover the story. Are things what they seem with him? Who knows, the film doesn't really bother to answer these questions.

The horror elements don't really come into effect until late in the film, by then I felt bored by the tepidness of everything. The film takes place in a spooky forest for crying out loud, but it never takes advantage of this. It's the perfect atmosphere that a better director could creatively use to his/her advantage. This is why The Forest is such a disappointment, even by horror standards. It's just not scary.

Were told not to believe what we see in the forest, I can't believe I watched this.
I couldn't agree more, I was bored out of my mind watching this. I'll never understand how a movie can go so wrong when you have so many elements in front of you for at least a decent horror flick. By the way, that half popcorn is very generous of you.

Little Men (2016)

Another great little drama from Ira Sachs, I liked it just as much as Love Is Strange. The two leads give some of the best performances I've seen from kid actors in a long time. Greg Kinnear is also predictably good, especially those scenes with Paulina García, who just might be the best part of the movie. She has a strong, no bull presence that's really effective. Just all in all a recommended subtle, non flashy film that I feel is worth a watch.

Tangerine (2015)

Energetic, realistic, unstructured, and a pretty good watch. I feel personally I would've liked a little more focus, but I guess that would've strayed away for what the film was going for, so I'll give it a pass. Kitana Kiki Rodriguez is lighting on screen, she really deserves to be in more stuff. The chemistry between her, and Mya Taylor is really nice. When it strays away from the main plot it becomes a little less interesting, but overall I enjoyed it.