Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't watch sci fi in a long time. So I'm enjoying the sci fi countdown. Tonight I'm watching either: This Island Earth
or When Worlds Collide

You'll have to let me know if the movie When Worlds Collide has a scene with big spiders. I know it's either that or World Without End, but I can't remember which. (I think it's World Without End, but I don't want to accidentally watch the wrong movie. )

Ooooo .... I've seen of those both Hitch's and Spellbound is definitely the superior of the two with I Confess a decent enough watch but just a little lacking .... in other words .... I agree Guess I really ought to try A Face In The Crowd at some point, it's just one of those where the synopsis has never really excited me enough to do so yet.

[center]

[left][center]
Spellbound (Alfred Hitchcock, 1945)

[left]Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Cast: Ingrid Bergman, Gregory Peck, Michael Chekhov
Genre: Film Noir Mystery

Great movie...I actually saw this for the first time in my 11th grade psychology class...might be time for a re-watch.

You'll have to let me know if the movie When Worlds Collide has a scene with big spiders. I know it's either that or World Without End, but I can't remember which. (I think it's World Without End, but I don't want to accidentally watch the wrong movie. )
I just watched When Worlds Collide last night I can safely say it has no spiders, I promise.

World Without End does have a giant spider, that looks hokey. (I haven't seen this one, I just looked up the images for it)

Ooooo .... I've seen of those both Hitch's and Spellbound is definitely the superior of the two with I Confess a decent enough watch but just a little lacking .... in other words .... I agree Guess I really ought to try A Face In The Crowd at some point, it's just one of those where the synopsis has never really excited me enough to do so yet.
It's bombastic, then again that's who the character is suppose to be. In a weird way, the loud mouth, drunk on his own power, character is like a 1950s version of Donald Trump.

In a weird way, the loud mouth, drunk on his own power, character is like a 1950s version of Donald Trump.
Yeah ... you're not really selling it to me there
I will get round to it at some point tho!

I just watched When Worlds Collide last night I can safely say it has no spiders, I promise.

World Without End does have a giant spider, that looks hokey. (I haven't seen this one, I just looked up the images for it)

Thank You.

Now I know which movie to rewatch, and which movie to avoid.

It's bombastic, then again that's who the character is suppose to be. In a weird way, the loud mouth, drunk on his own power, character is like a 1950s version of Donald Trump.

That sounds about right.

Café Society (Woody Allen, 2016)
Director: Woody Allen
Writer: Woody Allen
Cast: Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart, Steve Carell, Blake Lively
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance

About
: In the 1930s, a nervous young man from the Bronxs travels to Hollywood to get a job with his uncle, the movie producer. There he falls in love with a young woman who's already involved with a married man.

Review: If you've seen any Woody Allen film made in the last 10 years, then you've already seen this one! Cafe Society is the same old rehash that Woody has been telling in one form or another for a long while. The film is basically a visual representation of Woody Allen's fantasies. Like most of his latter films, Woody writes a main character to represent himself in the movie. This time it's Jesse Eisenberg who plays a caricature of Woody. He does the same stumbling, muttering dialogue, the hunch over stance while playing a slightly neurotic, babbling young geekish man who just happens to have beautiful women falling all over him....all while ending up in Woody's dream world of the past, the 1930s, filled with glamour and jazz. We've seen this film before!

A younger Woody Allen himself was funny in his own movies, but the elderly Woody constantly casting a character in his own likeness (nervous, self loathing, New York Intellectual, who by some stroke of luck is irresistible to woman) has gotten pathetically old hat.

Quote from Orson Welles:
I hate Woody Allen physically, I dislike that kind of man. I can hardly bear to talk to him...That particular combination of arrogance and timidity sets my teeth on edge... To me, it’s the most embarrassing thing in the world—a man who presents himself at his worst to get laughs, in order to free himself from his hang-ups. Everything he does on the screen is therapeutic.
Orson Welles
How prophetic! It's a good thing Orson isn't around to witness Woody still doing the same thing nearly 50 years latter...making movies that are all about one of the most uninteresting persons in the world, Woody Allen.

The two saving graces of this film is: Woody does know how to dress and shoot a period piece movie to make it look stunning. The other grace is Blake Lively (The Age of Adeline). Blake out charms and out classes the rest of the cast, especially the inept Jesse Eisenberg and the milquetoast Kristen Stewart.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	zzza.jpg
Views:	1139
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	27612  

When Worlds Collide (1951)
Director: Rudolph Maté
Writers: Edwin Balmer(novel)
Cast: Richard Derr, Barbara Rush, Peter Hansen
Genre: Sci-Fi

About
: A new star is discovered with an orbiting planet and scientist calculate that the new star will crash into Earth, destroying all life.
With less than a year to do so, a group of scientist hurriedly build a large rocket with the hopes of taking 40 people to another planet to start over again.

Review: George Pal the producer and man behind When Worlds Collide, was well known in the 1950s as producing, big budget, A list sci-fi movies with amazing special effects including: Destination Moon (1950), The War of the Worlds (1953) and The Time Machine (1960).

When Worlds Collide is a neat film, with impressive special effects for the day. The story at times is exciting and at other times a little dry, but always the film attempts to include as much hard science as it can for 1950s audiences. Shot in Technicolor the film looks great and the large rocket ship-plane is pretty darn cool!

We also get a romance triangle with a young Barbara Rush in the middle. On top of that is a look at the dark side of humanity represented by a greedy rich, older man in a wheel chair who wants to buy his way to safety but cares nothing for the rest of humanity.

I thought this was a pretty cool sci fi flick.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaa.jpg
Views:	1717
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	27632  

I haven't seen Café Society, but I'm very hit or miss with Woody Allen's movies. I'm not much of a fan of Jesse Eisenberg either, so that, in addition to your review, which doesn't make the movie sound like it's worth my time anyway, means I'll probably just pass on this movie.

I remember bits and pieces of When Worlds Collide, but I'll probably rewatch it for the Sci-Fi Countdown.
GBG, Just wanted to let you know that I finally watched Time After Time (1979) which I believe was based on your recommendation. It's one sci-fi movie I'd never seen, but saw it pop up on TCM On-Demand so gave it a watch. Thanks.

Time After Time is pretty good, especially thanks to a good-bad guy David Warner...and a good but usually bad guy Malcolm McDowell. I had never seen that film either until GBG nominated in the Sci Fi HoF. So score two points for GBG

Time After Time is pretty good, especially thanks to a good-bad guy David Warner...and a good but usually bad guy Malcolm McDowell. I had never seen that film either until GBG nominated in the Sci Fi HoF. So score two points for GBG
I love Mary Steenburgen, but her performance in this movie seemed a little wonky. It almost seemed like she was channeling a Diane Keaton character from a Woody Allen movie.
Just strange, but neat to see her in one of her early roles.

As with a lot of time travel movies I couldn't help but wonder at the supposed dilemma when they have access to a time machine - they could simply go back and prevent unwanted things from happening as many times as they wanted to. Wells could have just gone back to the beginning of the film and detained "Jack" back in the 19th century until the police arrived.

But, apparent time-travel plot paradoxes aside, an interesting film especially since they went the route of using historical figures rather than Wells' character known as "The Traveler."

[center]
Café Society (Woody Allen, 2016)
[left]Director: Woody Allen
Writer: Woody Allen
Cast: Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart, Steve Carell, Blake Lively
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Woody is always worth watching IMO and I will be adding this one to my watchlist.

Face in the Crowd (Elia Kazan 1957)

Director
: Elia Kazan
Cast: Andy Griffith, Patricia Neal, Anthony Franciosa
Genre: Social commentary drama

About: A drifter in jail (Andy Griffith) who with the help of a woman radio promoter (Patricia Neal) becomes an instant media sensation. As his stardom rises to ever increasing heights, he begins to believe his own hype. A case study of megalomania.
[size=4]
[size=3]Review: I love this film, I loved it the first time I watched it and even more so after a rewatch. It's a hard hitting expose about the sleazy world of media, advertising and power...with a megalomaniac drifter who has no real talent except in self promotion. I couldn't help think just how prophetic this movie was. In 1957 it might have seemed far fetched and indeed it bombed at the box office, but in the 21st century, I couldn't help thinking about another American media mogul who has risen to dizzying heights of political power, all the while promoting himself as he insults those around him.
I've always wanted to see this film but your review definitely makes me want to bump it up on my watchlist...Elia Kazan is a director who rarely does wrong and I LOVE Lee Remick.

I highly recommend Face in the Crowd to you, I think you will like it

Woody is always worth watching IMO and I will be adding this one to my watchlist.
I'd be interested in seeing your review of this one. I would have scored it much higher had someone other then Jesse Eisenberg been cast as the lead/proxy for Woody. The rest of the film was decent, it looked great.

I love Mary Steenburgen, but her performance in this movie seemed a little wonky. It almost seemed like she was channeling a Diane Keaton character from a Woody Allen movie.
Just strange, but neat to see her in one of her early roles.

As with a lot of time travel movies I couldn't help but wonder at the supposed dilemma when they have access to a time machine - they could simply go back and prevent unwanted things from happening as many times as they wanted to. Wells could have just gone back to the beginning of the film and detained "Jack" back in the 19th century until the police arrived.

But, apparent time-travel plot paradoxes aside, an interesting film especially since they went the route of using historical figures rather than Wells' character known as "The Traveler."
Yeah, I don't know what was with Mary Steenburgen in this film. I wrote this in my review of Time After Time

This was Mary Steenburgen second major film and she does have a weird way of talking in this film. She spoke very slowly, almost like she was dazed or dimwitted. But her character was supposedly a smart, self made woman. I liked her in this film anyway. Her and Malcom had good chemistry. In fact they married shortly after this film.
The best thing to do with time paradoxes is don't over think them, artistic licenses you know

Okay - so it wasn't just me (as far as Mary Steenburgen's acting in Time After Time)!
I had no idea she married Malcom McDowell!!! Never knew that!
A movie that drove me crazy with time paradoxes was About Time (2013).

I've never seen Face In the Crowd, but coincidentally my brother was telling me about it not long ago. We were talking about Andy Griffith and I mentioned his movie career before his TV series... I knew he was in No Time for Sergeants, and I said something about whether he was playing a country bumpkin or not, he always played big-hearted good guys. That's when my brother told me that wasn't so for Face in the Crowd - that the character was a complete departure from the roles Andy usually played.