Most interesting actor to watch onscreen

Tools    

You all might think me to be old fashion and that this might not make sense but I would have to say I like Lon Chaney. You know, The Man of a thousand Faces Lon Chaney. He was so interesting. He was so committed to his roles. He designed his own make-up when he played the Phantom in the silent version of The Phantom of the Opera. He was so excalent in The Hunch back of Notrdom. I loved him in that and his son, Lon Chaney jr., was also one fabolus actor. When It comes down to my most favorite actor, Lon Chaney wins!

Originally Posted by Lily
When It comes down to my most favorite actor, Lon Chaney wins!
He was a big favourite of my Dad's

I would say Juliette Binoche especially her role in Bleu, Code unknown, chocolat, the unbearable lightness of being...the english patient. I think she is very adaptive. I have enjoyed her in every role I have seen her in and been surprised by her ability in many.

I would also suggest Michael Caine. An actor who I once thought I detested, but cannot help but appreciate now.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Ophelia
I would say Juliette Binoche especially her role in Bleu, Code unknown, chocolat, the unbearable lightness of being...the english patient. I think she is very adaptive. I have enjoyed her in every role I have seen her in and been surprised by her ability in many.

I would also suggest Michael Caine. An actor who I once thought I detested, but cannot help but appreciate now.
Nice choices Ophelia. I'm curious...why did you once detest Michael Caine, and what made you change your mind about him.

I really like Juliette Binoche also.
Have you seen Horseman on the Roof(Le Hussard sur le toit)(1995)?

Originally Posted by Aniko
Nice choices Ophelia. I'm curious...why did you once detest Michael Caine, and what made you change your mind about him.

Thank you

Michael Caine - I think I was too young to actually appreciate him. I had seen him in 'Dirty rotten scoundrels' and thought anything else he starred in was boring. Thank god we get older. I loved him in 'hannah and her sisters' 'get carter' as well as more recent films like 'the cider house rules' which if you read the book, I think he played perfectly and 'the quiet american'. He is quite amazing when you think he has been in over a hundred films.

The horseman on the roof, I did see this but to tell you the truth I was looking at Olivier a tad more than Juliette I also enjoyed her in 'la veuve du saint-pierre' and even 'wuthering heights'. I think she has a real beauty from within that comes out when you see her acting. She is also beautiful to watch, her intensity came across for me most of all in 'bleu' and 'code unknown'. I would suggest you see them if you have not already

EDIT - I also have to mention Patricia Clarkson - pieces of april, station agent, six feet under..

Here are some actors who demand my attention when they're on screen. I don't know what it is, some aren't classically beautiful or handsome...maybe it's an appealing quirkiness or an inner strength.

Franka Potente
Famke Janssen
Lance Henriksen
Scott Glenn
Christina Ricci
Thora Birch
Max von Sydow
Rutger Hauer
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

De Niro, Travolta, Pacino, Walken, Hackman, Nicholson, are all obvious choices, and they are my favorite actors. But besides them I really love to watch these guys:

Phillip Seymour Hoffman - He is one of the finest actors working in Hollywood. Any role he accepts, he excells it. He can be very, very emotional and very charismatic. Owning Mahowny he played a gambling addict/loser. Then in Capote he played the much complex yet charismatic Capote. He's so interesting to watch. Just the way he talks, walks, acts, moves, his facial expressions. This is what makes a true actor.

Edward Norton - He's possibly one of the best 'young' actors in Hollywood. He's so charismatic, and versatile. He can play any role, comedy or drama, or crime. Either be antagonist or protagonist. He's one of my favorite actors, and like Hoffman: He steals the show.

Steve Buscemi - I just love him. One of the best actors in Hollywood.

Matt Dillon - A very talented actor, who pulls of a hysterical role in a comedic film or a powerful role in a serious movie.

I absolutely enjoy these guys: Keitel, Madsen, Penn, Sizemore, Harrelson, Giamatti, Jackson, Liotta, Pesci, Spacey.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Great choice on Perkins, especially in The Trial.

Welcome to MoFo.
I don't know, for me that was more a case of good casting than good acting. Sort of the Harrison Ford in Bladerunner effect of "takes a dope to play a dope".

There are only a few actors who I'd be willing to watch anything they act in (P.S. Hoffman is on there), and of the current crop the top spot probably goes to Tilda Swinton. Heck, she even made Constantine watchable.

My favorite acting ever though is Wallace Shawn in Dinner w/ Andre and Uncle Vanya. If only he'd get some more roles.

What's In Your Woods
I really enjoy Tom Hanks and how he portrays his roles. I also love looking at Jennifer Connolly onscreen.

Just a girl who loves movies
Glenn Close and Kevin Spacey would be my choice for male and female actors ...

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by linespalsy
I don't know, for me that was more a case of good casting than good acting. Sort of the Harrison Ford in Bladerunner effect of "takes a dope to play a dope".
I dunno either. He brought his innate edginess to the role and the thread is about interesting actors, of which Perkins was certainly one.

Sean Penn in my opinion, espically his role in 21 Grams, he's incredibly tense and powerful. Johnny Depp is the most versitile actor I've ever seen though, anyone who can go from Blow to Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory has got my vote.

Yeah, I thought of Juliette Binoche. I think it's because she's very close to her own emotions and she can call on them for the characters she plays quite easily. That's how it seems anyway. Chocolat's a favourite of mine and I like Certified Copy as well.

I have – beautiful film. Very interesting and surprising when I first saw it.

I think one of my favourites is Patrick Troughton as the Doctor in The Tomb of the Cybermen. That's an extremely interesting and layered performance by a brilliant character actor, and it could well be the best performance he gave in Doctor Who.

There are things he does that are so clever, but one thing I love is that he has a line fluff which seems to occur because he's listening so intently to George Pastell that he echoes Pastell's own fluff. It's a mistake but only makes the scene more realistic . There's also a classic and very emotive scene about the Doctor's family that is a proper tearjerker.

The best thing about the Doctor in that story though is that you never know how well-intentioned he is – did he plan what happens all along or is it accidental? Troughton plays with that phenomenally well.

Kevin Spacey! He is really great in House of Cards!
I haven't seen it but I imagine he would be really good. Ian Richardson was brilliant in the original series.

Being able to watch Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris in a weekly series (HBOs Westworld) is incredible. Truly a treat. Robin Wright & Kevin Spacey are excellent in House of Cards.

A new actor is intriguing me more and more. Im thoroughly impressed by his range - Tom Hardy. He is gonna be this generations Robert DeNiro.

Being able to watch Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris in a weekly series (HBOs Westworld) is incredible. Truly a treat. Robin Wright & Kevin Spacey are excellent in House of Cards.

A new actor is intriguing me more and more. Im thoroughly impressed by his range - Tom Hardy. He is gonna be this generations Robert DeNiro.
The first time I saw him was in Star Trek: Nemesis, and he was the best thing in the film. Then A for Andromeda, which was a totally different performance. The range of parts he's had is staggering really. I mean that he can play Robert Dudley and Bane is quite something . That shouldn't even be possible.

I think he's excellent. I loved his performance in Take Shelter. And he can sing every word of It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine), which can't be bad .