All-Time Worst Oscar Snubs

Tools    

In the Beginning...
Yeah, I knew I made a grammar mistake when I decided not to use "sequence". If they knew they had a hit franchise, why would they bother making any changes to it? Why risk doing a little too much and damaging things when you already know the outcome will be a massive success?
That's the question, isn't it? It makes no sense, but studio executives do it often. Call it hubris, call it whatever you want. I think these guys just like to get involved, but they're not filmmakers. They only know how to be derivative—how to copy what worked well in other films. And they ultimately get what they want because they control the dollars.

That's the question, isn't it? It makes no sense, but studio executives do it often. Call it hubris, call it whatever you want. I think these guys just like to get involved, but they're not filmmakers. They only know how to be derivative—how to copy what worked well in other films. And they ultimately get what they want because they control the dollars.
I see. Thanks for conversing! I'm a Tolkien fan and enjoy hearing other people's opinion on the books/movies.

Ed Norton was royally snubbed for American History X and that's the biggest injustice of them all. Roberto Benigni deserved absolutely nothing.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
In regards to missing out on a nom, there are a loads I feel were left out wrongly. But the ones I feel more strongly about would probably be:

Maggie Cheung - In the Mood for Love
Tony Leung - In the Mood for Love
Zhang Ziyi - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers, 2046
Virna Lisi - La Reine Margot
Isabelle Adjani - La Reine Margot
Lina Leandersson - Let the Right One In

I know these are all foreign language films, but considering foreign language performances have won Oscars before, and these films were hardly obscure ones that were all nominated at the Oscars, Globes or BAFTAs (except 2046), I feel like it was a missed opportunity to give them some recognition.
As for English language ones:

Joan Bennett - Scarlet Street
Edward G. Robinson - Scarlet Street
Talia Shire - The Godfather
Scarlett Johansson - Lost in Translation
Diane Kruger - Inglourious Basterds
Tilda Swinton - We Need to Talk About Kevin

I have to return some videotapes.
Jake Gyllenhaal - Nightcrawler... Wasn't even nominated and had the best performance of the year.

Jake Gyllenhaal - Nightcrawler... Wasn't even nominated and had the best performance of the year.

Like seriously, Nightcrawler is my favorite movie of the past 10 years. The performance Gyllenhaal gives in it is fantastic.

Welcome to the human race...
2001 and 2002: The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers for BP, please and thank you. The entire trilogy should've won BP in their respective years, yet only The Return of the King managed it.
I'm guessing the logic there was that, since everyone knew there would definitely be three films, then they could afford to give the award to Return of the King and have it serve as a win for the whole series and thus allow them to give out the awards to one-time contenders like Chicago or A Beautiful Mind. This logic seems to extend to the rest of the Oscars, with Fellowship winning four, Towers winning two, and Return winning eleven. Not like I think A Beautiful Mind or Chicago are great shakes themselves, but I understand the logic.

OK, I'm no sure if you're talking about nominees who lost or people who weren't even nominated, but I'm going to go ahead and go with people who weren't nominated at all:

Steve Carell was snubbed for Little Miss Sunshine
Interesting choice.

Originally Posted by Gideon
Toni Collette for Little Miss Sunshine
What? No.

What did she even do in that movie? She was the least developed character.

Godd*mn fact.

Jake Gyllenhaal is hate by the academy.

Sylvester Stallone got snubbed for Best Original Screenplay for Rocky in 1976.
I like Rocky and its script is one of its stronger points but no way did it deserve it over Network. Honestly that is something that just seems totally laughable to me, almost like it is not even an opinion that it is utterly wrong.

Emmanuel Lubezki getting snubbed for Best Cinematographer in Children of Men. And what ended up winning!? Pan's Labyrinth. I don't understand how this mistake was made, did they mislabel their ballots?

Also it's already been said but Jake Gyllenhaal for Nightcrawler. He was terrifying and believable.

Oh and how could I forget The Lego Movie not even getting nominated for Best Animated Picture.

Emmanuel Lubezki getting snubbed for Best Cinematographer in Children of Men. And what ended up winning!? Pan's Labyrinth. I don't understand how this mistake was made, did they mislabel their ballots?
Considering how much the Academy seems to be over-correcting for this by giving Lubezki two (possibly three) consecutive Oscars in recent years, I can't really be too upset about him missing out for Children of Men (even though it's probably my favourite film that he's worked on). Also, I can see how voters would prefer the richly saturated fantasy of Pan's Labyrinth to the grim dystopia of Children of Men (which, to be fair, only had a couple of long takes across its running time - compare that to Birdman being made up almost entirely of long takes).

I have to return some videotapes...
I think that one of the biggest snub imo is that Jake Gyllenhaal and Hugh Jackman didn't get more love for Prisoners. I love that film and think it probably should have been nominated for Best Picture and for sure Best Screenplay at least.

Speaking of Prisoners, that just reminds me of how Roger Deakins has lost out on the Best Cinematography award twelve times (soon to be thirteen, if the hype surrounding Lubezki is to be believed).

I didn't like Children of Men much, but if there's a single thing I'd praise it for it'd be the cinematography.

That lost to Pan's Labyrinth? That sucks.

Also it's already been said but Jake Gyllenhaal for Nightcrawler. He was terrifying and believable.

Oh and how could I forget The Lego Movie not even getting nominated for Best Animated Picture.
I kind of agree about Children of Men, though Pan's Labyrinth was beautiful.

But the year Chivo was definitely seriously most certainly snubbed, was with The Tree of Life.

That movie is like the ultimate magnum opus for the cinematographer, combining images of natural lighting, CG, practical, light, darkness, everything...

...and it lost to f*cking Hugo? Hugo? Seriously? Biggest snub ever.