Zotis' Top 100 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

you haven't listed the Scream movies yet
Don't worry, the first Scream is in my top 3,000.

I miss you're invisible man avatar btw. I can't imagine you as anything else.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
So far I have only seen Basterds and Stalker. Basterds is an all time favorite if mine and sits between 15-20 on my 100. I really enjoyed Stalker. Guap nominated it for a HOF and I gave it a 4/5. I look forward to more Tarkovsky despite only being luke-warm on Ivan's Childhood.
Guap nominated something other than an anime to an HoF? When was that??

So far I have only seen Basterds and Stalker. Basterds is an all time favorite if mine and sits between 15-20 on my 100. I really enjoyed Stalker. Guap nominated it for a HOF and I gave it a 4/5. I look forward to more Tarkovsky despite only being luke-warm on Ivan's Childhood.
Oh yeah, I saw Ivan's Childhood too, so that's three Tarkovski's I've seen. Solaris is the other one I've seen, and it's quite potent like Stalker was.

Don't worry, the first Scream is in my top 3,000.

I miss you're invisible man avatar btw. I can't imagine you as anything else.
Same, i think that was my favourite avatar here.

Care for some gopher?
I've only seen Inglourious Basterds so far. It's part of my top 100 as well.

#2 or #3. Can't remember for sure.He nominated something different for the 50's hall too. I am having trouble remembering though.

Oh yeah, I saw Ivan's Childhood too, so that's three Tarkovski's I've seen. Solaris is the other one I've seen, and it's quite potent like Stalker was.
I will be watching Solaris and Andrei Rublev this year as part of my movie a week about faith thread.

I nominated Tarkovsky's Stalker for the 2nd Hall of Fame. And Sunshine for the Science fiction horror Hall of Fame. I also nominated a live action for the 1950's Hall of Fame.

I decided to nominate mostly animation for HoF because most people here don't watch much non-American animation so it's nice for them to acquire some more culture about the world of animation.

Ivan's Childhood lacks the qualities of Tarvkosky's other films, which are much more spiritual, emotional and non-narrative/experimental.

I wouldn't mind seeing Shinjuku Triad Society. I've recorded it a couple of times, but always deleted it before I got around to watching it.

I also liked Ivan's Childhood a lot, very good WW2 movie.

Edit: I noticed that I have to watch more contemporary live action Japanese stuff. Never watched Takashi's movies, for instance.

Payback

(1999) Action/Crime/Drama

Directed by Brian Heldgeland
Written by Brian Heldgeland and Terry Hayes
Based on the novel by Donald E. Westlake
Starring Mel Gibson, Gregg Henry, Maria Bello, David Paymer, Bill Duke, John Glover, William Devane, Lucy Liu, Jack Conley, and Kris Kristofferson

This is one of the few movies from my very first top 100 draft that is still on here. I used to love this movie as a teen, and I still love it. It's my second favorite Mel Gibson performance, and it's just a really cool, slick action movie. Gibson plays a clever thief in his anti-hero role as the protagonist. The acting is pretty decent. In terms of film technique I'd say it's pretty much by the book with nothing that really stands out to me as exceptionally artistic. The plot is one of the most interesting aspects of the movie for me; the way that the characters connect and events transpire into a crazy mess.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Have you seen the original - Point Blank - which is more-creatively told if no more entertaining?

V for Vendetta

(2005) Action/Drama/Thriller

Directed by James McTeigue
Written by Andy and Lana Wachowski
Based on the graphic novel by Alan Moore
Starring Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving, Stephen Rea, John Hurt, Tim Pigott-Smith, Stephen Fry, Rupert Graves, and Roger Allen

It's funny, but IMDB doesn't even credit Alan Moore. It credits the artist who drew the graphic novel, but not Moore as the writer. Anyway, I know Moore wasn't thrilled about his works being made into movies. I read that he criticised the American filmmakers for being unwilling to make a satire set in their own country. Well personally I do think that Moore's graphic novel is better, and it is one of my all-time favorite graphic novels. I even like it more than the Watchmen graphic novel. But the movie is actually pretty decent too. If all Hollywood Blockbusters at least matched this level of dialogue, plot structure, and acting then I would have no problem with how much money they make and that they're made for entertainment. I'm not above appreciating entertainment or mainstream cinema.

Natalie Portman wasn't the first person they wanted for the role, but the first person wasn't willing to cut off all her hair. Portman is a serious actress and I really respect her for her movie choices and her consistency in the caliber of her acting. Probably the most important thing that is not quite as good about the movie compared to the graphic novel is that the potency of the criticism of the government and pharmaceutical companies is not as strong. There most definitely is corruption in the highest places of government, and the wealthiest people in the world. But the movie is still very good because it still does deliver a strong story and message, and it brings the story of the graphic novel into motion picture format.

Kill Bill Vol. I

(2003) Action

Written and Directed by Quentin Tarantino
Starring Uma Therman, Lucy Liu, Vivica A. Fox, Daryl Hannah, David Carradine, Michael Madsen, Sonny Chiba, Chiaki Kuriyama, and Jun Kunimura

This is another movie I would consider "entertainment." Although unlike most entertainment movies Kill Bill, much like Inglorious Bastards, has tons of artistic merit and excellent technique in addition to doing things for fun. That is not something that's common in entertainment cinema. Most of Tarantino's movies I would say are like this except for a few that I consider to be even higher in caliber. Reservoir Dogs would be one example of a Tarantino movie that I consider above mere entertainment, but unfortunately I never quite enjoyed it enough to contend for my top 100. Kill Bill was a movie that I heard a lot of ignorant people criticise because they did not appreciate the artistic elements (I'm not talking about MoFo's btw). There are a lot of entertaining and fun movies that are just not very realistic due to a lack of effort on the film makers' parts in terms of attention to detail and research. Then there are movies like Kill Bill which are intentionally unrealistic for the sake of style in a creative way, while still having a lot of attention to detail and marks of considerable research and preparation. That is something I do consider praise worthy when it's done as well as it is in Kill Bill. In that regard I think this movie is a text book example of style and entertainment. Tarantino's use of music is always excellent, but I think Kill Bill might actually have his best use of music. The band playing in the background of several scenes was a band that Tarantino heard when he was in Japan. He tracked them down and asked them to be in his movie. Stuff like that is just going the extra mile that most film makers do not do. All of the characters are so well developed. It's just an extremely fun experience watching this movie. I don't have to suspend disbelief. I don't have to turn my brain off. I could over analyze this movie until the end of time and I would not get bored. I see no validation in the defenses of movies like Scream when movies like this accomplish an even better level of entertainment and can be appreciated even by someone who is unwilling to compromise their standards. Unfortunately Vol. 2 got bumped off my top 100. I just like Vol. 1 more, and there is so much competition these days for spots on my top 100 that I had to cut many great movies that I love. Also the animated scene of Lucy Liu's character's background is so amazing, and I've never seen a live action movie insert an animated segment like that before or since. There will be one more Tarantino film appearing on my list.

Welcome to the human race...
V for Vendetta
And this list was going so well, too.

But seriously, some good picks here and also some interesting ones I haven't seen (Smashed looks interesting). Keep it up.