Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Family Jewels (Jerry Lewis, 1965)
-
Summer's End (Helen Shaver, 1999)
+
Tapped Out (Allan Ungar, 2014)

The Sound of Music (Robert Wise, 1965)

The Von Trapp children look at the program of their singing festival while their new mother Julie Andrews, father Christopher Plummer, and "uncle" Richard Haydn look on.
My Dinner with Jimi (Bill Fishman, 2003)

Spy Hard (Rick Friedberg, 1996)

Pulp (Mike Hodges, 1972)

The Wilby Conspiracy (Ralph Nelson, 1975)
+

On the run from racist South African police, British engineer Michael Caine and black nationalist Sidney Poitier are pursued by state security officer Nicol Williamson who has ulterior motives.
The Swarm (Irwin Allen, 1978)

Royal Wedding (Stanley Donen, 1951)

The Crossing Guard (Sean Penn, 1995)

Deathtrap (Sidney Lumet, 1982)

Broadway murder mystery playwright Michael Caine has young student writer Christopher Reeve at his mercy, but the plot twists are only beginning.
Muppets Most Wanted (James Bobin, 2014)

The Romantic Englishwoman (Joseph Losey, 1975)

Little Women (George Cukor, 1933)

What Now? Remind Me (Joaquim Pinto, 2013)

Portuguese director/sound designer Joaquim Pinto undergoes experimental HIV treatment while dealing with the loss of both memories and friends but maintaining the love of his husband Nuno and the companionship of his four dogs.
Alien Opponent (Colin Theys, 2010)

The Delta Force (Menahem Golan, 1986)
+
Airborne (Alexander Williams [Dominic Burns], 2012)
-
Kingsman: The Secret Service (Matthew Vaughn, 2015)
+

Veteran kingsman Colin Firth commits massive mayhem at a hate group’s church in Kentucky.

Master of My Domain
A few thoughts on Kingsman, mark?
He's probably gonna say it's awesome. It officially confirms that a
+ from mark is a
for me. Great flick!

Please ask for thoughts I'll try, I've wrote about many of the Ford films here. I will try and write more for the others soon too, but I feel like I'm quite busy at the moment and I might as well get these posted.

The Equalizer (Antoine Fuqua, 2014)

Big Hero 6 (Don Hall & Chris Williams,2014)

How The West Was Won (John Ford, Henry Hathaway & George Marshall, 1962)

Blackhat (Michael Mann, 2015)

Jurassic World (Colin Trevorrow, 2015)

Two Rode Together (John Ford, 1961)

Fort Apache (John Ford, 1948)

Spring in a Small Town (Fe Mui, 1948)

Drums Along The Mohawk (John Ford, 1939)

7 Women (John Ford, 1966)

3 Bad Men (John Ford, 1926)

Young Mr. Lincoln (John Ford, 1939)

The Big Sky (Howard Hawks, 1952)

A Seperation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)

Sans Soleil (Chris Marker, 1983)

Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)
[RW]

L'Atalante (Jean Vigo, 1936)

Singin' in the Rain (Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly, 1952)
[RW]

Yojimbo (Akira Kurosawa, 1961)

Being John Malkovich (Spike Jonze, 1999)

The Blues Brothers (John Landis, 1980)

The Sons of Katie Elder (Henry Hathaway, 1965)

The Long Gray Line (John Ford, 1955)

Tootsie (Sydney Pollack, 1982)

Stalag 17 (Billy Wilder, 1953)

Foxy Brown (Jack Hill, 1974)

Dressed to Kill (Brian De Palma, 1980)

Rififi (Jules Dassin, 1955)

Weekend (Jean-Luc Godard, 1967)

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (David Lynch, 1992)
[RW]

Big Hero 6 (Don Hall & Chris Williams,2014)
Agreed.

Haven't seen this one yet, but naturally I'm very interested. Any reason why it's only three stars?

Master of My Domain
Thoughts on Weekend? Personally it's my favorite Godard film, but sadly I don't think it will make the list only you know if that's true or not.

Mainly boring and predictable for me. An "average" animation at best, the design didn't interest me and the attempt at a cross American-Japan and gaming humour mainly fell flet in my eyes. You can give it an extra popcorn if your generous and don't mind an easy watch, but I feel like I need to balance out my ratings and this just wasn't an interesting film for me.

Haven't seen this one yet, but naturally I'm very interested. Any reason why it's only three stars?
I've put it as 3.5 now, but it's somwhere between a 6.5-7 on a more detailed scale. I'm trying not to do plusses or minus, so some of my ratings are a little indecisive.

There's a half hour silent heist scene that the film's known for, and that is excellent. If all the film was up to that quality I would give it at least four popcorns, unfortunately after that I found the plot to be weak as everything falls apart. Maybe if I cared more for the characters it could have been more effective, I think Bob Le Flambeur handled it's characters better and was more coherent all round. It's shot well, and has some great moments, but it just wasn't a favourite. I'm not sure how it's rated lower than Le Cercle Rouge on IMDb, Mubi etc. either, I felt the storytelling was better in that too, plus it has the heist scene to match.

Thoughts on Weekend? Personally it's my favorite Godard film, but sadly I don't think it will make the list only you know if that's true or not.
Well, I watched it after the list deadline, unfortunately. But I loved it. I love Godard so it's no surprise, but I found myself laughing at quite a lot of it. I really enjoyed the dark humour, the playfullness of it all (as it is with a lot of Godard films, but here the content really matches up to the way its edited too), it felt like Godard had a lot of fun making the film.

Master of My Domain
Well, I watched it after the list deadline, unfortunately. But I loved it. I love Godard so it's no surprise, but I found myself laughing at quite a lot of it. I really enjoyed the dark humour, the playfullness of it all (as it is with a lot of Godard films, but here the content really matches up to the way its edited too), it felt like Godard had a lot of fun making the film.
Agreed, the more and more new films Godard made he would deconstruct any possible unnecessary frolics as much as possible, and by the time he got around to Weekend he arrived at pure dark comedy fun, which ended oh giving birth to an ultimate masterpiece. The film start to finish is endless absurdity, but is surprisingly organized inside Godard's rule of thumb. Glad you enjoyed it.

Jurassic World (Colin Trevorrow, 2015)

Not much to say, just a terrible film. Really was painful to watch.

El Dorado (Howard Hawks, 1966)

Really enjoyable film and fun to watch. Great humor throughout, nothing really to complain about. Doesn't get any higher than 4* because it's basically the same as Rio Bravo but shorter, and for me Rio Bravo is better.

Lost Highway (David Lynch, 1997)

Strange, dark and brilliant. I'm a big fan of David Lynch and consider this to be one of his best films. Bought it on Blue Ray recently to watch it again and it just gets better.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966)

A masterpiece. This was one of the first great films I watched when I was just getting into films and I also bought this on Blu Ray recently for another watch. It was even better this time because I bought surround sound speakers and a load of films. This film on Blu Ray with those speakers really is amazing. I only put it on to try out the speakers and ended up watching the whole film. Brilliant.

Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)

Another great film film, great performances from everyone, perfectly made, can't get over how good it is.

A generous rating from me, apart from a brilliant heist scene I thought it was a poor film. No stand out performances, an extremely simple story. Stupid things happen just to make shortcuts and make the story even easier. The fact I didn't feel anything for the character at all by the end of the film tells me all I need to know about how much I enjoyed it, also the fact that I was so glad when it ended tells me enough.. The film really didn't interest me in anyway from start to finish, but yeah the heist scene was great. It annoys me because the film clearly had so much potential but all in all it turn out pretty poor, found it quite dull if I'm honest.

Dressed to Kill (Brian De Palma, 1980)

A good film, I enjoyed the suspense throughout and think the film was well made. A nice few twists as well. The film was what I expected it to be and it's the type of film I like. Can't bump it up to 4* because I don't feel it's quite worth of that, but it certainly deserves more than 3* in my eyes.

The Sons of Katie Elder
(Henry Hathaway, 1965)

Well made film, enjoyable performance from Dean Martin as always and the usual very good performance from John Wayne. All in all just a good solid film.

Foxy Brown (Jack Hill, 1974)

It is what it is, enjoyable I guess yeah but nothing I'd really watch again. I can see why people would like it and it's not to bad but just not really for me. Still a decent rating though because it wasn't a bad experience watching it and I didn't really dislike it, just wouldn't say it's that good.

Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)

Possibly my favourite film of all time, watched it a while ago and recently gave it a rewatch and remembered how brilliant it is, it's perfection.

Singin' in the Rain (Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen, 1952)

Great film, really fun, loved the story and loved the comedy. Haven't watched many musicals but my brother convinced me to watch this one. It really surprised me how funny and clever it was, Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor are brilliant and I loved their chemistry. A truly great film.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (David Lynch, 1992)

Twin Peaks is my favourite TV series and I love all of David Lynch's films so it's no surprise I love this one. The film was exactly what I wanted it to be, a perfect prequel to a perfect series.

In a Lonely Place (Nicholas Ray, 1950)

Great performances from Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame. Loved the style of this film. A great Noir.

Rebecca (Alfred Hitchcock, 1940)

Not for me. Didn't seem at all like Hitchcock, it was dull, boring and so much longer than it needed to be. Good performances by Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine but nothing too memorable. Just a typical Oscar film, I was left really disappointed.

Some thoughts on these two, Daniel.
Foxy Brown - Enjoyable film, three stars means good. It was my first venture into the exploitation or more specifically the blaxploitation genre, so I had certain expectations at what I was going to get, and I got pretty much that. There were a few really fun moments that I enjoyed, but I didn't love the whole thing in the way that I'd want to watch it over and over again.

Dressed to Kill - Very good, although not great, like on the level of Blow Out for me. The Hitchcock influences were cool but also meant that a lot of it was predicable, but certain scenes still managed to be suspenseful and interesting. I liked the style of the direction and really enjoyed Nancy Allen (who I know sometimes gets criticised for her acting) too. I liked how there were some moments of comedy to balance out the tension too, maybe I wish it had some of its own story/depth past its stylistic influences. I've got Body Double recorded that I'm looking forward to as well.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It's really great... You'll love it.
Now that's better!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Gone Girl

Firstly the spoiler-free review:
A standard thriller; Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck) is married to beautiful Amy (Rosamund Pike), who disappears one day. The media hound him accusing him of murder- but did he do it? This is a very slow-paced film; David Fincher was clearly relying on the hype of the twist because had people not watched the film knowing there was a twist, they would have left after the first thirty minutes. The pace quickens slightly after the twist but it is overlong and overhyped. Rosamund Pike's performance is good but not Oscar-winning and Ben Affleck is so irritating in the film that you want something bad to happen to him.

The rest of the review has spoilers:

WARNING: spoilers below
I was disappointed by the twist; I was expecting something cleverer. I suppose you could argue that the audience's dislike of Affleck's character means that we ignore the obvious signs that she was faking it (the blood, the supposedly abusive exes) but he's so insidious that I could never feel pity for him. The characterisation of Amy was insultingly mispgynistic (the novelist/screenwriter being female is not a cop out); it plays to the bunny boiler stereotype of pretty women being manipulative and out to destroy men and once they reach true heights of lunacy, we are meant to forgive the man's behaviour. Once the twist is revealed, Nick is no longer morally ambiguous- the film shows him as the good guy (albeit a flawed one) whereas she is a total psychopath. This kind of film belongs in the nineties; the dynamic of douchy guy/psychopathic wife/lover is played out.

The theme of how the media twists everything and hounds him might be interesting to some people but seeing that you can glean that from reading any newspaper or watching any news programme, do we really need a film about it?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm not only addicted to movies, but also to posting in this thread! HELP!

I could look at this GIF forever!
浮草 [Floating Weeds] (1959) -
- One of my favourite Ozu films! I only gave 4.5 to this and Tokyo Twilight, which gives me some serious pangs of consciencefor giving all these Setsuko Hara flicks 'only' 4 stars. Sometimes I think I'm slowly becoming one with cinema and the ultimate ending will be rating everything 4.5, then rewatching Werckmeister Harmonies, which is of course my only 5 and then dying happily. More on a serious note, this one is slightly different from other color Ozu films. Or at least it felt different for me. Of course, it doesn't mean this time the most Japanese of Japanese directors made an action flick that would embarass Michael Bay. To the point... Chishû Ryû only appears for a minute, but the second he appeared I was screaming badass to the screen (also happened to me while watching the original Django and Lady Snowblood). I don't know why I did this. He was just sitting, smiling and having a nice chit-chat with some other guys. It's just that his face always brings happiness to my soul. Next, we also have a delightfully beautiful Japanese lady here. There are kissing scenes (!), a nice plot with usual for Ozu style of developing the story. There's a lot of swear-words in this one, too! The Master in this film goes around calling women sluts and even slaps & tugs them! The colors are beautiful. Beyond words amazing.
Opening Night (1977) -
(Gena Rowlands once again proves she is one of the best actresses ever! The story is pretty interesting and the character development just as the story develops was done with a great intuition. The theatrical scenes were amazing, too. The final performance, with Rowlands in a certain state was beyond amazing, not to mention an improvised (?) last act, in which she and her husband (both in real life and in the play) do some weird stuff like athlete's trick and what not. I'm watching Love Streams next!)

Eva Mendes likes to play with blood and guts!
Lost River (2014) -
(Haters gonna hate! For me Gosling's debut is an amazing film! The only thing I can accuse the movie of is lack of originality and Gosling of lack of his own author style, but since it's his first film, it's not a big flaw for me. In this Lynchian&Refnian reverie nightmarish style over substance tour-de-force (I was trying to be a pretentious reviewer here, let me know if I succeeded) Gosling shows he's a very promising filmmaker! The cinematography, music and mood create an atmosphere very similar to that in Only God Forgives [if you liked that film, chances are you'll like LR, too]. There's a scene with Christina Hendricks (dem redheads, tho) trapped in a plastic fetish-shell! Then a man appears and what does he do? HE STARTS DANCING TO AWESOME MUSIC AND HE DANCES LIKE A JUNKIE GAY ON STEROIDS! Gotta love this sh*t. PS: Barbara Steele is in this one!)
Nostos: Il ritorno [Nostos: The Return] (1989) -
(Okay, so this is a contemplation film just like every Piavoli flick. He's made better ones, but this offbeat interpretation of Odysseus mythos is very interesting and the mythical mood was enough for me to stick to the screen.)

The over-expressiveness of Dodes'ka-den certainly has its reason.
色即是空 [Everything Visible Is Empty] (1975) -
(Matsumoto's experimental short! Epileptic seizure in 3... 2... 1...)
Aranymadár [Golden Bird] (1987) -
(A break from the eye-killers of Matsumoto! A Hungarian fairy tale! The animation style is simple, but pretty nice, while the narration is really beautiful.)

It's so disturbing when he smiles like this and then in a second changes his face expression into poker face!
アートマン [Atman] (1975) -
(Matsumoto's experimental short! It's interesting how at the beginning the epileptic blinking screen is almost impossible to bear, but by the end you're used to it and kinda get into this stuff. It's hypnotizing!)
どですかでん [Dodes'ka-den] (1970) -
(I expected a heart-crushing experience of Red Beard proportions, but it never happened! It's a good flick, nevertheless. First Kurosawa in colour and it uses it quite effectively. It has a bunch of memorable characters, like the mime train-lover, the poor father and a son living in a wrecked car, or an old man kind to thieves. It's pretty cool, but I guess my expectations were too high!)

Labyrinth of Dreams. Human body or a bunch of rags? This moment is not only tense, but also inexplicably mysterious!
Bronson (2008) -
(Not quite as atmospheric as Only God Forgives, or Drive, but still a pretty good flick with a phenomenal Tom Hardy's show-off!)
ユメノ銀河 [Labyrinth of Dreams] (1997) -
(Not even close to the awesomeness The August in the Water is, but the constant subtle feeling of dark mystery is enough to sit through it and enjoy every second! No other director can make simple scenes feel so alien, mythical, uneasy and mysterious!)

Bachus/Caravaggio.
Novecento [1900] (1976) -
(A five-hours-long epic from Bertolucci! Starring among others De Niro, Depardieu, Lancaster and Sutherland in his evilest role! The cinematography is glorious and one can clearly see this film was one of the main inspirations for Angelopoulos! The music composed by Morricone is pretty good, too and plays well with the images. The acting is really nice. The second part of the film felt much better than the first part I didn't like that much at first, but as a whole it was amazing (I had this with Once Upon a Time in America, too). Guess I don't like to look at young boys playing with their penises. The scene with Depardieu and De Niro getting a double handjob from a epileptic woman was, on the other hand, alright, since they weren't children already. LOL at the woman commenting on Depardieu's small winnie. LOL at both of them being flaccid. I wonder if it was because if they were hard the censorship wouldn't let the movie be released. Yeah, the second part expands the character of Sutherland, who plays an evil Fascist doing some terrible things and still being Sutherland (that face, tho) as well as expands the Communism vs. Fascism themes. Obviously, Bertolucci is biased and champions Communism a little too much, but it didn't bother me that much. I like the idea of the friendship between De Niro and Depardieu and how they helped each other as far as they could. Sutherland was dealt with brutally, too and the pseudo-trial at the end was powerful! The ending on the railtrack was unexpected! It's a four star film, but I'm giving an additional half a star for Sutherland! WHY DON'T YOU KNOCK IT OFF WITH THEM NEGATIVE WAVES, ATTILA!?)
Caravaggio (1986) -
(A true work of art to behold! Living pictures, stagnant frames! It's so artsy, even the most hardcore cinephiles may be perplexed by the film (and gay scenes). The idea of incorporating modern items into the picture was good, too. Of course, it's not like Titus Andronikus, in which Romans drive cars and listen to jazz, but the use of calculator, or typewriter in XV / XVII century is enough. Jarman manages to cover Caravaggio's works and make them look beautiful on celluloid! Also, Jarman somehow managed to make Tilda Swinton look beautiful!)