Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Trouble with a capital "T"
1 + 4 = 5. 5 + 5 = 10. Since 10 - 1 = 9, and 9/2 = 4.5, then the actual Imdb middle ground would be 1 + 4.5 = 5.5.

I'm helping!
I don't understand that. Abstract math communication is alien to me. Can you explain?

I don't understand that. Abstract math communication is alien to me. Can you explain?
It's hardly abstract, it's elementary my dear Citizen. No. Really. It's single-digit decimals. You're adding uneven halves by going from 1-5 and then from 5-10.

OK, you say that a 1/10 can be the worst someone's seen on Imdb. However, the thing is that Imdb does not allow us to address 0 quality (I've seen many 0's in my life), so the math needs to be adjusted if 0 is to be technically included for Imdb. For MoFo, we do have a
option, so 0 is our starting point. So to get from 0-10, we add five and then five again.

0 = Lust for Frankenstein
5 = The Golem
10 = The Godfather

True, this means that we have 11 numbers, 1-10 and 0, but 0 means absolutely no quality. Since Imdb does not allow us to address 0 quality, than 1 is acting on 0's behalf, so we need to adjust the meter and the math that goes with it. This is part of why I prefer MoFo to Imdb. It allows 0-star ratings. Now if only Letterboxd would.

We don't have to "actually adjust all our ratings," but to get a halfway point, you do need to adjust the math. Halfway to the minimum is halfway to the maximum. So halfway from 0-10 is 5, and 1 is our minimum, and not 0, then instead of taking 10 "spaces" to get to 10, we need 1 less. 9. So what's half of 9? Add that to the minimum and you get the halfway point.

The minimum (x) for MoFo: 0.
The Maximum (y) for Mofo: 10
Subtract the maximum from the minimum: y - x = 10 - 0 = 10
Half of the maximum is 5.
Thus, the halfway point is (y - x) / 2 + x = (10 - 0) / 2 + 0 = 5

The minimum (x) for Imdb: 1.
The Maximum (y) for Imdb: 10
Subtract the maximum from the minimum: y - x = 10 - 1 = 9
Half of the maximum is 4.5.
Thus, the halfway point is (y - x) / 2 + x = (10 - 1) / 2 + 1 = 5.5

Does your brain hurt yet?

It's hardly abstract, it's elementary my dear Citizen. No. Really. It's single-digit decimals. You're adding uneven halves by going from 1-5 and then from 5-10.

OK, you say that a 1/10 can be the worst someone's seen on Imdb. However, the thing is that Imdb does not allow us to address 0 quality (I've seen many 0's in my life), so the math needs to be adjusted if 0 is to be technically included for Imdb. For MoFo, we do have a
option, so 0 is our starting point. So to get from 0-10, we add five and then five again.

5 = The Golem
10 = The Godfather

True, this means that we have 11 numbers, 1-10 and 0, but 0 means absolutely no quality. Since Imdb does not allow us to address 0 quality, than 1 is acting on 0's behalf, so we need to adjust the meter and the math that goes with it. This is part of why I prefer MoFo to Imdb. It allows 0-star ratings. Now if only Letterboxd would.

We don't have to "actually adjust all our ratings," but to get a halfway point, you do need to adjust the math. Halfway to the minimum is halfway to the maximum. So halfway from 0-10 is 5, and 1 is our minimum, and not 0, then instead of taking 10 "spaces" to get to 10, we need 1 less. 9. So what's half of 9? Add that to the minimum and you get the halfway point.

Does your brain hurt yet? YES You're good math! I just can't process that but thanks for explaining.

OK... when I was a kid I saw a Cyberchase episode on this same topic. No. Really.

Take a ten inch ruler. You'll start at the 0 and work your way to ten inches, right? But in that Cyberchase episode, the symbol for 0 disappeared from existence. Well, that's the long and short of it.

So, if 0 is not part of the equation, you may find yourself measuring with that ten inch ruler by starting at the 1 where the zero should be, and you could confuse nine inches with ten. So if you go halfway from 1 - 10 and end up with five, you measured wrong.

Or you can just do (x+y)/2 to find the mid-point.

Submitted a list. Most of these have zero chance of showing up. Even probably some that obviously should.

Those are the bests user lists to look through. Everything else running the risk of predictability.

My list is pretty mainstream for this one but I'd still not be overly surprised if as few as six of mine make the countdown .... more likely be around 11 or so make it though I think. Six or seven I have very little to no hope for but I likes 'em so it matters not.

Those are the bests user lists to look through. Everything else running the risk of predictability.

I've got 5 locks on it. 5 maybes. And the rest are either probably nots or no ways.

I've got 5 locks on it. 5 maybes. And the rest are either probably nots or no ways.

I'm gonna wait to count the locks, since I've been struggling with finding updates. I've been getting more into the habit of addressing complaints about movies, despite still giving them high ratings. For example: Get Out isn't that scary for the first two acts, so despite being beautifully directed, I won't quite give it a five-star, so it's not going on my ballot. Right now I'm in the middle of a movie that's REALLY looking like it's getting on my ballot. Depends on what I think of the final decisions in tune with the specific type of movie it's trying to be. Gonna keep the title quite. But if I find a couple other movies that reach these heights, then I'll knock off the movie I was really excited to add to my chart before and post what the old one was.

Finalized my list and going to send it in. 11 films are from 2010 or 2011, 13 of 25 are foreign language, and I'd guess 9 to 11 will show up including about 5 of my top 10.

If a 1 rating is the worst film a person has ever seen and a 10 the most amazing film one has ever watched...then the middle of the road would be a 5 which would be just an average movie.

Here at Mofo with the same philosophy a
is an average OK movie. Though a lot of people rate on a higher scale, including myself. To me a
is a decent average movie.
Yeah normally for me a 6 would be like a guilty pleasure and a 5 is something I don’t like. And then lower than that is sliding into unwatchable territory and serious tech problems.

2010: 1
2011: 1
2012: 4
2013: 2
2014: 1
2015: 5
2016: 2
2017: 5
2018: 2
2019: 2

1 hr. 34 min. to 2 hr. 49 min., Average 2 hr. 5 min.

IMDb 6.6 to 8.8, Average 7.8

Rotten Tomatoes 22% to 100%, Average 80%

Audience Score 63% to 96%, Average 81%

Metacritic 31 to 94, Average 71

User Score 4.7 to 8.8, Average 7.5

All five of these sources agree on the worst movie, but show four different films as the best.

2 Animated

1 Documentary

2 Repeated directors

24 are primarily in English

Finalized my list and going to send it in. 11 films are from 2010 or 2011, 13 of 25 are foreign language, and I'd guess 9 to 11 will show up including about 5 of my top 10.
But how many off your list will make my list? I'm guessing none BUT I'd bet you've seen and liked many of my list movies, just not 5/5 for you.

Yeah normally for me a 6 would be like a guilty pleasure and a 5 is something I don’t like. And then lower than that is sliding into unwatchable territory and serious tech problems.
I do like you do, a 5 would be a pretty meh film for me, 6 to 7 is where many of them would fall for me.

2010: 1
2011: 1
2012: 4
2013: 2
2014: 1
2015: 5
2016: 2
2017: 5
2018: 2
2019: 2

1 hr. 34 min. to 2 hr. 49 min., Average 2 hr. 5 min.

IMDb 6.6 to 8.8, Average 7.8

Rotten Tomatoes 22% to 100%, Average 80%

Audience Score 63% to 96%, Average 81%

Metacritic 31 to 94, Average 71

User Score 4.7 to 8.8, Average 7.5

All five of these sources agree on the worst movie, but show four different films as the best.

2 Animated

1 Documentary

2 Repeated directors

24 are primarily in English
Impressive that you broke your list down into so many different stats Me I'm too lazy to do that.

Impressive that you broke your list down into so many different stats Me I'm too lazy to do that.

Thank you! I make up for it with plenty of other laziness in my life.

5 = The Golem
10 = The Godfather

Were you under the impression that you were making it easier?