Meryl Streep Gets Closer To Kathrine Hepburn

Tools    

In 1981 Kathrine Hepburn set the Oscar olympic mark as the only person to ever win 4 Oscars as an actor/actress.
It appeared at that time that the bar she set will never be equaled in our life time.
Ingrid Bergman had won 3 (1944, 1956 Best Actress, 1974 Best Supporting Actress )
Prior to her Walter Brennan had won 3 Oscars for Best Supporting Actor ( 1936, 1938, 1940 ) and in 1983 Jack Nicholson won his 3d Oscar ( Best Actor 1975, 1997, Best Supporting Actor 1983 ) and looked like he might catch up but hasn't been able to do so yet.
Last night Meryl Streep joined Walter Brennan, Ingrid Berman and Jack Nicholson in winning 3 Oscars [Best Supporting Actress (1979), Best Actress (1982), (2012)].
She now leads the field with 17 nominations and her 3 wins place her in a good position to catch up to Kate and possibly win her 4th Oscar within the next ten years. I believe she has that much left to do it and dare I say, if she does, go on to set the new standard with 5.
So far there have been only 33 other individuals with 2 Oscar wins for acting and the ones most likely of possibly achieving a third one, at least the way I see it, could be Daniel Day Lewis, Robert De Nero, Sean Penn, Michael Caine, Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks, Kevin Spacey, Dustin Hoffman, Hillary Swank, Jodie Foster and/or Jessica Lange.
Of that group, the most likely candidate would be Hillary Swank, who has the ability and enough time to catch up to Meryl.

Meryl Streep is the top actress of her generation. Very gifted. I can see her topping out at 4 Oscars. She is 62 years old now. I don't know that she has a fifth Oscar left in her. It would be an interesting bet, wouldn't it?

I liked the Devil wears prada and Doubt, another that...I'm not a big fan. I don't know why?

Have you checked out her older films? She's been around for awhile

Yeah, I think Doubt is one of my favorite Streep performances.

Semper Fooey
In 1981 Kathrine Hepburn set the Oscar olympic mark as the only person to ever win 4 Oscars as an actor/actress.
It appeared at that time that the bar she set will never be equaled in our life time.
Ingrid Bergman had won 3 (1944, 1956 Best Actress, 1974 Best Supporting Actress )
Prior to her Walter Brennan had won 3 Oscars for Best Supporting Actor ( 1936, 1938, 1940 ) and in 1983 Jack Nicholson won his 3d Oscar ( Best Actor 1975, 1997, Best Supporting Actor 1983 ) and looked like he might catch up but hasn't been able to do so yet.
Last night Meryl Streep joined Walter Brennan, Ingrid Berman and Jack Nicholson in winning 3 Oscars [Best Supporting Actress (1979), Best Actress (1982), (2012)].
She now leads the field with 17 nominations and her 3 wins place her in a good position to catch up to Kate and possibly win her 4th Oscar within the next ten years. I believe she has that much left to do it and dare I say, if she does, go on to set the new standard with 5.
So far there have been only 33 other individuals with 2 Oscar wins for acting and the ones most likely of possibly achieving a third one, at least the way I see it, could be Daniel Day Lewis, Robert De Nero, Sean Penn, Michael Caine, Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks, Kevin Spacey, Dustin Hoffman, Hillary Swank, Jodie Foster and/or Jessica Lange.
Of that group, the most likely candidate would be Hillary Swank, who has the ability and enough time to catch up to Meryl.
I don't think Hillary Swank will get a third because she is fading. It will probably be one of the guys. Streep is one of the rare actresses to have a long movie career.

I never did see Streep in that film with Roseanne Barr. Some say that film actually detracted some from Streep's reputation.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think the only Streep performance I enjoyed was The Hours. And that one wasn't even nominated. Granted I don't go out of my way to see a performance of hers though either.

I never did see Streep in that film with Roseanne Barr. Some say that film actually detracted some from Streep's reputation.
As you're on a Brit trip, try and find the BBC drama The Loves And Lives Of A She-Devil, the success of which (and the source novel, of course) prompted that hideosity in the first place.

I liked Kramer & Kramer but I have seen a few films with Streep.

I have seen a few films with Streep. One was Kramer vs Kramer.

I've seen all of Merryl Streep's movies, just like I've seen all of Marlon Brando's movies and feel more enlightened about true acting as a result.

I think the only Streep performance I enjoyed was The Hours. And that one wasn't even nominated. Granted I don't go out of my way to see a performance of hers though either.
Try, Silkwood - an excellent film:

Did you see Adaptation or Kramer vs. Kramer? Both excellent films as well as performances.

I don't think Hillary Swank will get a third because she is fading. It will probably be one of the guys. Streep is one of the rare actresses to have a long movie career.
Hillary Swank fading??? Are you kidding.. She got her last Oscar in 2004.
In 2011 She was nominated by Screen Actor's Guild for her strong performance in Conviction but Natalie Portman won the award for Black Swan and went on to win the Oscar for same. Conviction was a much smaller film and Hilary got snubbed by the Academy.
Hilary has three major projects in the works and will only by 38 in July of this year. I'll tell you what, if Clint directs her in another movie before he dies, watch out Meryll! It just might turn into an even race and Hilary has the youth in her favor not only in the choice of roles but also in the longevity department do do them in. Look at Meryl. It took her 29 years to get her 3d Oscar, and it's not like she wasn't trying.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've seen all of Merryl Streep's movies, just like I've seen all of Marlon Brando's movies and feel more enlightened about true acting as a result.
You've seen Dark Matter, Evening and Free Money?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'd like to see another big Swank performance to give Streep a run for her money.

Yes, I saw Kramer vs. Kramer and I thought it was decent but nothing extraordinary.

Semper Fooey
Hillary Swank fading??? Are you kidding.. She got her last Oscar in 2004.
In 2011 She was nominated by Screen Actor's Guild for her strong performance in Conviction but Natalie Portman won the award for Black Swan and went on to win the Oscar for same. Conviction was a much smaller film and Hilary got snubbed by the Academy.
Hilary has three major projects in the works and will only by 38 in July of this year. I'll tell you what, if Clint directs her in another movie before he dies, watch out Meryll! It just might turn into an even race and Hilary has the youth in her favor not only in the choice of roles but also in the longevity department do do them in. Look at Meryl. It took her 29 years to get her 3d Oscar, and it's not like she wasn't trying.
You said it. It was a much smaller film. It reduces the odds of getting an Oscar. Yes, I know her first Oscar was such a film, but the chances it happens again for her in a small movie are...small. She has also developed a reputation for being a prima donna, which might make it harder to get a third win. Huge stars can can away with it, but she never reached that level. Winning Oscars isn't a popularity contest, but intangible factors like that can be a factor. 38 is close to over the hill for most actresses. Here is my prediction: mostly televison work when she hits 45 if not sooner. Streep hangs in there because she accepts supporting roles when she isn't starring.

What are these three major projects?
She had a part in New Year's Eve.
She produced Something Borrowed
She is in Closer Than Love, which is in pre-production, due to be released in 2013.

You said in the works, New Years Eve has been out for a while, so not three major projects in the works then and Something Borrowed she is just producing and is she even in Closer Than Love? I thought people were talking about her acting, not producing when it comes to fading out/winning an Oscar again.