The Thread Where I Post Stuff That I Just Happen To Really Like

Tools    

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused
My family own a house in Osijek
are they croatians?

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
The label of Arrogant Bastard Ale:

This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory -- maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this.

Lets put a smile on that block
Posted this on the shoutbox a couple of days ago but not sure if anyone bothered checking it out so im putting it here as well.

The JCB Song

Have a listen, just click on the book (Its a pretty cool site) then click on listen to the JCB song. Its nice and nostalgic. And quite funny. yet i fear it may become annoying quite soon...

there's a frog in my snake oil
Oh Blibby. You and your JCB love. I've already advertised it in the nothing thread...

That's you that is

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Can't rep you on the beer label Sam, but that's awesome.

Also, the letter to Hershey is good enough to be published.

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Posted this on the shoutbox a couple of days ago but not sure if anyone bothered checking it out so im putting it here as well.

The JCB Song
Cute

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I've never been much for sweets. They're nice, but after a bite or two, I'm done. And after several bites, I feel sort of nauseated and hectic and I want to melt out of the place.

Even as a child, I never enjoyed Circuis Peanuts or Peeps... all that whipped-up synthetic froth and a taste so overblown that it seemed determined to turn my head inside out, rather than please the palette. Such things made my jaw ache.

I know... I'm weird. My brother used to call me 'Lola Granola', after the Breathed character, because I asked for trail mix in my plastic Easter eggs, rather than candy. I know sugar is supposed to be this amazing thing. I've heard the hype. I have friends who get such cravings for sweets that they'll go out wandering the darkening streets like Lestat on the hunt, until they find the non-pariel of their heart's desire. I'd just as soon not.

When I was a teenager, my idea of the perfect dessert was a slice of bread: 7 grain bread with butter and the merest layer of blackberry jam. Blackberries grew on a single vine that embraced the snowball bush in the front yard of my childhood. They were intrinsic: blackberries knew my most successful disappearances in games of hide and go seek. They were organic: no one fertilized those berries. They grew of their own accord, with no plan and no notion of what a blackberry vine was supposed to be except that pattern buried within the vine itself. Most important to me though: blackberries... taste like blackberries. They're sweet, but they're also tart and sharp, with mellow undertones and they're deep-purple-tasting. Eat one. You will taste the deep purple. All you have to do is pay attention.

My preferencess about love run along similar lines. Oh, I like to taste the pretty confections, the valentines and poetry and all the trimmings. Those whipped up and frothy exchanges are not sustaining for me, though. In short order, the complications cloy and I get that same hectic feeling and I want out.

I want a love like the blackberry vine: not forced, only occasionally pruned, and allowed to grow according to its own internal dictates. I want the love of that person who truly knows and understands me... and loves me anyway. I crave the array of flavors in the deep purple, blackberry, 7-grain love.
That's really good. Did you write that?

This is a pair of short stories written a couple of years ago, by a friend and I (he did the first one).

Life Lesson #3 - by C. F.
In fifth grade, I spent a significant amount of time with this girl Heidi. I was too young, then, to get erections, so it was mostly for the burgeoning tingling feelings that I felt when I saw her. They were like root beer for the skin.

Her older sister Marjorie didn't cotton to this notion, and spent most of her time harrassing me. I was slight and bookish, and for the most part, unable to muster much of a defense. She was older than I, and sort of burly, and I tried to keep away from her as best I could. She had a bad habit of grabbing me by the arm, and digging her fingernails into my skin until I welped and ran away.

Needless to say, this was embarrassing. She was a girl, if I haven't made that perfectly clear.

That year, they started serving us breakfast at school. Being a hungry sort, I often chose to take advantage of this option. One day, I was in line, and Marjorie was behind me. She started pushing me into the person ahead of me, and saying nasty things. The line was progressing slowly, and she just kept pushing me, and pushing me.

I couldn't take it. I turned around and punched her in the face as hard as I could. It was the first time I'd ever punched someone, and from an objective standpoint, it was a good knock.

I caught her square on the jaw, and her head slammed into the brick wall next to her. Her mouth split open like a microwaved hotdog, and she fell to the floor, crying and bleeding.

I just stared at her, and didn't say anything. Miraculously, no authority figure noticed, and Marjorie, for some reason, was in no hurry to tell. She stood up, and walked to the back of the line. Her friend who stayed behind gave me a deep glare and said, "You know, she just got braces."

Like I was supposed to feel bad.

That afternoon, I was walking home from school, and I cut through this field.

From behind clump of small trees, leapt Marjorie and three of her friends, like they were ninjas or something. "I just got braces!!!" Marjorie yelled, and she ran up to me, but she didn't do anything. I think she was still vaguely scared of me, what with the me punching her and all.

But her friends weren't scared. They cornered me, and one by one, kicked me square in the balls. Lacking the lack of pain in my balls, I was stripped of my ability to make sounds, and just sort of twitched.

The worst was yet to come, however. Marjorie walked over to me, leaned down to my ear, and whispered, "I love you."

Then she ran away with her friends. The next day she fell down some stairs, and I think she interpreted that as a karmic response to the 'Were we meant to be together' question, and we never spoke again.

I learned a lot that day, though, and from my experiences, so should you.

Lesson: Punching chicks gets you chicks--bad chicks. Don't punch chicks unless you can handle chicks that like guys that punch chicks. You heard it here first, folks.

Rebuttle - by SammyD.
When I was in 6th grade, there was this boy I knew. He lived in our same trailer park. He had a crush on me for a little while; kept following me around and telling me my hair was the color of root beer. But he was younger than me, bookish and tired easily and I wasn’t interested. He didn’t take that news well. He got very mean after that. He would wait at the entrance to the Hi-Ho Trailer Park and throw stones at me when I came home from school. And he started telling his friends that I was a Nazi, because I had a German last name.

He was very circumspect with his harassment, always waiting until no one was looking. I think this was because he had decided to cozy up to my sister, Heidi. I tried to warn her that he was a mean little boy, but Heidi’s head was turned by flattery. He was quite the word-worker, that boy. But that Nazi rumor got around school, which was so embarrassing. Even when I got my braces, Dr Wankowiez actually gave me two lollypops and said, “you see, Jews are nice people”. I was too humiliated to tell him that it was all just a rumor.

I didn’t plan to avenge myself, but he pushed just too far one day. We were in line for breakfast and he was right in front of me. He kept holding back, so I couldn’t reach for anything, and slamming his tray back into mine. When he spilled my orange juice, I slipped in it and fell against him. He took the opportunity to haul off and hit me right in the mouth! I sat there, bleeding and crying for a minute, and he just looked down at me and very quietly said with a sneer, “that’s for Anne Frank!!”

At this point, my friends demanded to know what was going on. When I told them, they couldn’t believe their ears. “You even made me that Channukah card last year,” said Ulrike Schmittenstein. Greta Gerschnoodleschmit agreed that I was no Nazi and that he was a little creep to spread such lies. We made a plan to get him, after school, and get him we did. We waited in the field he always cut through, and my friends kicked the crap out of him. I stayed out of the action, as my head was still foggy from the knock he’d given me that morning. But when they stopped, and he was still there on the ground, I walked over to him and made sure he understood what this was all about.

My voice was muffled by my swollen lip as I said, “I love Jews.” Then we all ran away.

I had a slight balance problem after that, and actually fell down some stairs the next day, but that boy never told another lie about me.
This is the best exchange ever. EVER.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
This story:

The House of Asterion

by Jorge Luis Borges

And the queen gave birth to a child who was called Asterion.
Apollodorus: Bilbliotheca, III, I

I know they accuse me of arrogance, and perhaps of misanthropy, and perhaps of madness. Such accusations (for which I shall extract punishment in due time) are derisory. It is true that I never leave my
maze
house, but it is also true that its doors (whose number is infinite)[note: The original says fourteen, but there is ample reason to infer that, as used by Asterion, this numeral stands for infinite.] are open day and night to men and to animals as well. Anyone may enter. He will find here no female pomp nor court formality, but he will find quiet and solitude. And he will also find a house like no other on the face of the earth. (There are those who declare there is a similar one in Egypt, but they lie.) Even my detractors admit there is not one single piece of furniture in the house. Another ridiculous falsehood has it that I, Asterion, am a prisoner. Shall I repeat that there are no locked doors, shall I add that there are no locks? Besides, one afternoon I did step into the street, if I returned before night, I did so because of the fear that the faces of the common people inspired in me, faces as discolored and flat as the palm of one's hand. The sun had already set, but the helpless crying of a child and the rude supplications of the faithful told me I had been recognized. The people prayed, fled, prostrated themselves; some climbed onto the stylobate of the temple of the Axes, others gathered stones. One of them, I believe, hid himself beneath the sea. Not for nothing was my mother a queen; I cannot be confused with the populace, though my modesty might so desire.

The fact is that I am unique. I am not interested in what one man may transmit to other men; like the philosopher, I think that nothing is communicable by the art of writing. Bothersome and trivial details have no place in my spirit, which is prepared for all that is vast and grand; I have never retained the difference between one letter and another. A certain generous impatience has not permitted that I learn to read. Sometimes I deplore this, for the nights and days are long.

Of course, I am not without distractions. Like the ram about to charge, I run through the stone galleries until I fall dizzy to the floor. I crouch in the shadow of a pool or around a corner and pretend I am being followed. There are roofs from which I let myself fall until I am bloody. At any time I can pretend to be asleep, with my eyes closed and my breathing heavy. (Sometimes I really sleep, sometimes the color of day has changed when I open my eyes.) But of all the games, I prefer the one about the other Asterion. I pretend that he comes to visit me and that I show him my house. With great obeisance I say to him: Now we shall return to the first intersection or Now we shall come out into another courtyard or I knew you would like the drain or Now you will see a pool that was filled with sand or You will soon see how the cellar branches out. Sometimes I make a mistake and the two of us laugh heartily.

Not only have I imagined these games, I have also meditated on the house. All the parts of the house are repeated many times, any place is another place. There is no one pool, courtyard, drinking trough, manger; the mangers, drinking troughs, courtyards, pools are fourteen (infinite) in number. The house is the same size as the world; or rather, it is the world. However, by dint of exhausting the courtyards with pools and dusty gray stone galleries I have reached the street and seen the temple of the Axes and the sea. I did not understand this until a night vision revealed to me that the seas and temples are also fourteen (infinite) in number. Everything is repeated many times, fourteen times, but two things in the world seem to be only once; above, the intricate sun; below, Asterion. Perhaps I have created the stars and the sun and this enormous house, but I no longer remember.

Every nine years nine men enter the house so that I may deliver them from evil. I hear their steps or their voices in the depths of the
mino
stone galleries and I run joyfully to find them. The ceremony lasts a few minutes. They fall one after another without my having to bloody my hands. They remain where they fell and their bodies help distinguish one gallery from another. I do not know who they are, but I know that one of them prophesied, at the moment of his death, that some day my redeemer would come. Since then my loneliness does not pain me, because I know my redeemer lives and he will finally rise above the dust. If my ear could capture all the sounds of the world, I should hear his steps. I hope he will take me to a place with fewer galleries and fewer doors. What will my redeemer be like?, I ask myself. Will he be a bull or a man? Will he perhaps be a bull with the face of a man? Or will he be like me?

The morning sun reverberated from the bronze sword. There was no longer even a vestige of blood.

"Would you believe it, Ariadne?" said Theseus. "The Minotaur scarcely defended himself."

there's a frog in my snake oil
Niiiice.

Borges is such a freaking genius, from what i've read. That's another palpably classy, educated yet sweeping piece of condensed creativity.

This section almost sums up what's so striking about the way he works:

I think that nothing is communicable by the art of writing... Bothersome and trivial details have no place in my spirit, which is prepared for all that is vast and grand... Sometimes I deplore this, for the nights and days are long.
His work somehow manages to communicate on both the broadest and most refined/specific terms. He's a master of wordsmithing and plumbing crazy facts, and yet he lays his little gems out in a way that makes them shine together and illuminate some bigger truth. (In other words - he's both learned and instinctual )

I still love the fact that even he doesn't seem to know what his message is - but you feel him sitting there at the centre of his stories, saying 'whatever this is, you know its feel is true'

I was talking just yesterday with a mate about The Zahir and The Aleph. If you haven't read 'em you simply must

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
50 Things I Hate

18. People who yell at other drivers.
does that still count if im yelling with the windows up?

22. Whiney, needy, boring people.
hey, at least im working on it!

24. That I didn't know who Gavin Rossdale was when I talked to him online.
wait...what??? how did this happen??
25. Bad remakes of good songs.
The First Cut Is The Deepest - Sheryl Crow

29. Glitches where I lose a longass PM or post.
i always save my posts other places, or copy them, before i finish, just to avoid this

36. "I did a modified Atkins (that I made up) and it didn't work. Atkins is a scam."
didn't he die of a heart attack?

42. Gender-bashers.
43. Pantyhose.
ha!

48. People who take potshots at celebrities.
hehe...thats how i met your colorful personality!

50 Things I Love
5. The gift of someone cooking for me.
i'm afraid i take advantage of this one.

10. When my neice wants to talk to Auntie Cindy.
do you pronounce it ANTIE...or AHHNTIE? just curious.

30. Singing with friends.
and family. i wish i could make a living off of that!

45. Earthquakes.
hmmm. and this isn't on the wrong list?

46. Irony. Which will come in handy when I die in an earthquake.
oh! gotcha!

50. Finishing huge projects.
yeah...im going to go take a shower now!

Ground Control To Major Thom
Meeeeeee

Ground Control To Major Thom
Originally Posted by SmegFirk
Meeeeeee
Seriously though, me yeah?