The official "I Hate Anime!!!" and "I Hate Fan Fiction!!!" Thread

Tools    

I just know they're coming to kill me.
I can't get the site to open, it's acting very slow and I have high-speed. What's the price?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Well it is a region 2 disc, so it wouldn't play in a standard US DVD player, but the price was equivelent to about 90 bucks for the entire Hellsing series.

Nope, infact, I'm sure there is someone who knows the laws of the matter, but if I remember right the US government declared that region free players may not be sold in retail stores. I could be wrong about that, maybe it is just strongly discouraged, but I have never once seen a region free player in a store or for that matter online counterparts. They are available in the US, you just have to know where to look for them, not very common.

Arresting your development
In the land of the free I want my phucking region free players sold at the damn nearest corner store with out the European plugs on it. I don't need Uncle Skam to tell me what dvd player to buy. I'm an army of one...damn it! I don't need a federal government paper clip pusher to baby sit me with a bureaucrat titty in my mouth.

Fine keep the titty in my mouth! But it's because I decided that it will be there.

For the record- Anime kicks big AS5 booty!

I suppose its not really as much of a problem in the States, over here it would suck @ss. Toughluck though.
Hmmm while i enjoy my nice region-free DVD player the bitterness of USA getting earlier releases subsides slightly

Depends on how you look at it. For your average American it doesn't matter one bit, but if you're an American film lover it can be pretty brutal. We may get releases sooner than you, but you guys tend to get more complete releases, DVDs that have some chunky features to them whereas sometimes ours are fairly bareboned, at least by comparison.

Oh hell's little love pudding...it hurts!

Tear drop!

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
All that money for anime... how sad...
All what money for who again? I see people asking about region free DVD players in this conversation.... Which as far as I can see is a general question about region free players, and has nothing to do with Anime. As far as Anime is concerned, some people like it and you clearly don't. If you think your opinion about films and anime is "fact", it isn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination. If you disagree with this assertation, you should be diagnosed with Solipsism. I don't know, I just went through this entire thread and found myself marveling at how many times someone can repeat themselves, and still not say anything at all! All that typing and arguing and all you needed to say was "I don't like Anime" to get the same idea across. Stop wasting people's time.

I can tell by your post's that you are quite young, and probably need some time to begin to understand different cultures, or even American culture for that matter, or how the word awfully is used in a sentence. This is nothing personal against you, it's just the way things work.

Now for the real question. Does it really bother you if others like things that you don't? If it does, I point you towards that Solipsism definition you had to look up earlier. As far as I can tell from your posts, you have never even seen any actual Anime (that is, original OAV, NOT edited for American television) aside from Spirited Away, which you were "forced to watch" by your father and probably didn't pay attention to it anyway.

I'll tell you what, watch a few of the BeBop episodes with your girl, watch a few of the titles OG has so patiently recommended to you, and THEN come tell us how all Anime blows. If you still at that point feel it isn't worth a ****, you will at least have a referent to fall back on. At that point you will at least garner the respect of an informed debater.

I like Spirited Away. What was wrong with that?

I also like Castle in the Sky.

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
I like Spirited Away. What was wrong with that?
Nothing, MovieMaker said he hated it. I was merely referencing that.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Nothing, MovieMaker said he hated it. I was merely referencing that.
MovieMaker,
Don't make me start an Anime appreciation thread...

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
MovieMaker,
Don't make me start an Anime appreciation thread...
Hmm... not a bad idea... I didn't like "spirited away" either. Only watched half and got fed up. But i'm still all for anime though...

All what money for who again? I see people asking about region free DVD players in this conversation.... Which as far as I can see is a general question about region free players, and has nothing to do with Anime. As far as Anime is concerned, some people like it and you clearly don't. If you think your opinion about films and anime is "fact", it isn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination. If you disagree with this assertation, you should be diagnosed with Solipsism. I don't know, I just went through this entire thread and found myself marveling at how many times someone can repeat themselves, and still not say anything at all! All that typing and arguing and all you needed to say was "I don't like Anime" to get the same idea across. Stop wasting people's time.

I can tell by your post's that you are quite young, and probably need some time to begin to understand different cultures, or even American culture for that matter, or how the word awfully is used in a sentence. This is nothing personal against you, it's just the way things work.

Now for the real question. Does it really bother you if others like things that you don't? If it does, I point you towards that Solipsism definition you had to look up earlier. As far as I can tell from your posts, you have never even seen any actual Anime (that is, original OAV, NOT edited for American television) aside from Spirited Away, which you were "forced to watch" by your father and probably didn't pay attention to it anyway.

I'll tell you what, watch a few of the BeBop episodes with your girl, watch a few of the titles OG has so patiently recommended to you, and THEN come tell us how all Anime blows. If you still at that point feel it isn't worth a ****, you will at least have a referent to fall back on. At that point you will at least garner the respect of an informed debater.
Wow... I must say, great comeback! Good job!

Now onto proving you wrong.

First, I'd like to comment that I did very well indeed pay attention to Spirited Away and as well as Cowboy Bebop. I use to flip through the channels late at night when it was on Adult Swim, and yes, I watched it, a couple of times mind you, and never once was did it hold my interest.

As to the Region Free players, look back to Pyro Tramp's post. I feel that that is a good resonpse to you critizing me about saying how those last few posts had nothing to do with anime.

Never once was my opinion on film and anime "facts" as you said. We're all welcome to saying what we like, and that's called an opinion. Nowhere is it written on stone "Anime SUCKS!!!" This whole thread is mainly about a matter of opinion, and you are trying to make it sound as if I'm Hitler and I'm spreading propoganda. I'm not. Let's think next time before we post something that we didn't take any time to think about it, shall we? And I will my admit, my little Star Wars thing back there was done without much of me taking any time or consideration into writing a proper and more mature post. I do apologize for that.

When you say that you found yourself "marveling at how many times someone can repeat themselves, and still not say anything at all!", did you just look at my posts only? Take a look at some of OG-'s post and Diablo's and such... do you think that they didn't repeat themselves at all? And when you said "All that typing and arguing and all you needed to say was "I don't like Anime" to get the same idea across. Stop wasting people's time", again, look at their posts. They basically said "I like Anime!" over and over again, and, yes, I got their idea, but then again, this is a hate and matter of opinion thread, so I am entitled to say whatever I want as many times as I want- it's my opinion and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

What does age matter? It means nothing from I what I can see. I've grown up watching both Warner Bros. and Disney cartoons, I understand American culture great well since I often speak to my relatives who grew up in American culture, and yes, I use to watch Godzilla all the time, and although that may not be the best reason, but it's good enough for me to understand a little bit of the Japanese culture. And let's keep Godzilla out of this- he's cool, he may be from Japan, but he's not anime. I'm just using him to state that I'm familar with the people who created him. At least I think I am.

And now, it's time to answer the real question...

As long as they don't overdo what they like. I mean, sure, my girlfriend may love anime, but she doesn't talk about it like it's God! I think now is a good time for me to say something I should have said a long time ago... a lot of my friends enjoy anime, and I'm cool with that, because maybe I may not like it with them, but they'll like something I like, like Star Wars or Halo or something like that. And I'm sure some of them dislike what I like, and I'm cool about that too. But it's the people like the picture that Nitzer posted that gets me mad... it's called being OVERLY OBSESSED and that is what gets to me. Even my girlfriend said that she isn't that obsessed, and that people like that freak her out. She said the post I made about how that one person hates anime fans pretty much sums up how those obsessed fans are and how scary it truly is.

And what's with this Solipsism crap? I didn't even bother to look that one up because I laughed that you would put such a thing. I think you are diagnosed with something that I posted above, and it's called OVER OBSESSION.

And Anonymous Last, by all means, start an Anime appreciation thread! If you guys like it and want to talk about it, that's fine! Go right ahead! It's your opinion, do what you want with it! Why would that bother me? It doesn't! This thread is for people like me who hate anime, so I see no problem with making one for people appreciate it for all it's worth, so go right on ahead and do it and talk about anime till your hearts content!

I am diagnosed with over-obsession? What am I obsessed with? I like anime and watch it when I get the chance, but I am by no means obsessed with it. It has actually been months since I have watched any Anime. As for age, clearly, it matters quite a bit when taking into account a great many concepts, if age didn't matter, we would have 4 year olds running major corporations, and 12 year olds running the stock market. BUT, I can see your point and I didn't mean to come down on you about age, you just seemed young and impulsive. I do not question your ability to think critically, nor do I question your self-awareness. I also used to hate it when people would come down on me for not understanding things because I was young, but the fact is, they were right, and I didn't understand the concepts they were trying to get across because I was too young. I know this...now

You understand Japanese culture because you watched Godzilla?? I choose not to respond to that, as there is no need.

Also, at no point did I say I wanted to "Do something" about your opinion, that was the whole point of my post. You have your opinion and your opinion is correct, for you. Just as mine is for me. If you have indeed given Anime it's fair shake, and still find it as repulsive as you seem to (some anime is repulsive btw), than so be it, jedi.

Good post, good retort.

I am diagnosed with over-obsession? What am I obsessed with? I like anime and watch it when I get the chance, but I am by no means obsessed with it. It has actually been months since I have watched any Anime. As for age, clearly, it matters quite a bit when taking into account a great many concepts, if age didn't matter, we would have 4 year olds running major corporations, and 12 year olds running the stock market. BUT, I can see your point and I didn't mean to come down on you about age, you just seemed young and impulsive. I do not question your ability to think critically, nor do I question your self-awareness. I also used to hate it when people would come down on me for not understanding things because I was young, but the fact is, they were right, and I didn't understand the concepts they were trying to get across because I was too young. I know this...now

You understand Japanese culture because you watched Godzilla?? I choose not to respond to that, as there is no need.

Also, at no point did I say I wanted to "Do something" about your opinion, that was the whole point of my post. You have your opinion and your opinion is correct, for you. Just as mine is for me. If you have indeed given Anime it's fair shake, and still find it as repulsive as you seem to (some anime is repulsive btw), than so be it, jedi.

Good post, good retort.
Thank you, and again, your post was good at defending anime.

I would, however, like to correct some things.

Re-read what I said about Godzilla. I said it may not have been the best reason, but it was good enough for me to understand a little bit of the Japanese culture. I hope that clears up any confusion and future insults.

As for age? I really see no point in discussing it any more. No one hear is 10 years old, maybe 12, but only a few I'd imagine. I think we all know what were talking about and how we feel and think about it when we post something, no matter what it is.

I apologize for the over obsessed thing, but I just felt that what you said about me having Solipsism was just something that I just couldn't go by. I think you understand.

And it looks as if we're cool on opinion, I also like it when you said your thing at the end followed up by calling me "jedi". Funny. And I must say, out everyone here, your posts are the ones that keep this on-going thread fresh with good arguments and come-backs, facts, and opinions. Keep up the good work!

P.S. I still hate anime.