The Day After Tomorrow

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Cryton
yep i have, im a third year geology student so we live eat and sleep ultraplinian (super volcanoes) Kakatoua, El chechon these eruptions have combined had a greater effect on the earths climate than the last hundred years of fossil fuel burning.
Sure. But isn't the argument that we might be tipping the balance by supplementing the natural release of "greenhouse" gases? And not just through fossil fuel burning - through deforestation too. (and i've heard some other bizarre things. Like, don't humans produce "greenhouse" gases as well in theory? I've never checked that one out. I know methane from livestock is a problem. But on the plus side, human products like paper, and even asphalt i think, lock carbon away too. So it's all swings and round-a-bouts )

All i know is...whatever the cause/process...climate change does exist. It may not pose the specific threats this film presents...but, for example, it's apparently to blame for the increased risk of flooding in the UK. 4 million houses are now at risk that weren't previously.

Cool reception for ice-age moviehttp://film.guardian.co.uk/news/stor...202858,00.html

Originally Posted by Golgot
Sure. But isn't the argument that we might be tipping the balance by supplementing the natural release of "greenhouse" gases? And not just through fossil fuel burning - through deforestation too. (and i've heard some other bizarre things. Like, don't humans produce "greenhouse" gases as well in theory? I've never checked that one out. I know methane from livestock is a problem. But on the plus side, human products like paper, and even asphalt i think, lock carbon away too. So it's all swings and round-a-bouts )

All i know is...whatever the cause/process...climate change does exist. It may not pose the specific threats this film presents...but, for example, it's apparently to blame for the increased risk of flooding in the UK. 4 million houses are now at risk that weren't previously.

Cool reception for ice-age moviehttp://film.guardian.co.uk/news/stor...202858,00.html
your right about the locking up of carbon in paper and other such related products, but gases such as methane only make up a small percentage of the earths atmosphere the main green house gas is H2O. they do however may increase the earths temperature. the livestock issue is a factor but not a significant one as one termite mound can produce more methane than a large herd of cows. Increased flooding however is not only due to global warming it can in most cases be down to poor land management and lack of understanding of river flow patterns and flooding histories. if you locate a housing development on a flood plane (even if it hasnt been flooded on the last decade) there is a significant risk that it may get flooded. poor management of the river systems such as straightening and little dedging of the main channels can be blamed for other flooding event, and yes in a way climate change on this dynamic earth could be blamed for other flooding events

the system of this planet may be balanced or not but what i know for sure is that the system will balance the impact of the human race wether we help it or not

im glad this film is coming out as it is a possitive way for people to learn more about the issues highlighted if loosely concerning global warming.

PS i live near a river and for the first time in 40 years we had partional flooding this was attibuted by poor management and hell lot of rain

A scientist type guy trys in vain to warn others of impending doom, where have i seen this before?
I'm just waiting for that token black guy to shout "yo man you aint gana get me without a fight suka" or somesuch at the storm, then this film will be complete.

there's a frog in my snake oil
your right about the locking up of carbon in paper and other such related products, but gases such as methane only make up a small percentage of the earths atmosphere the main green house gas is H2O.
Wait, wait.... i wanna believe what you're saying and all...you sound like you've been studying this recently and all....but you've just said water is a greenhouse gas . (do you mean hydrogen???)

they do however may increase the earths temperature.
Sure, i'm just talking about the ones that trap heat in the upper-atmosphere etc. (or however it works )

the livestock issue is a factor but not a significant one as one termite mound can produce more methane than a large herd of cows.
Ah, i never knew. (let's hope we never start harvesting termite milk eh? )

Increased flooding however is not only due to global warming it can in most cases be down to poor land management and lack of understanding of river flow patterns and flooding histories. if you locate a housing development on a flood plane (even if it hasnt been flooded on the last decade) there is a significant risk that it may get flooded. poor management of the river systems such as straightening and little dedging of the main channels can be blamed for other flooding event, and yes in a way climate change on this dynamic earth could be blamed for other flooding events
Sure. There's also poor soil management (through intensive farming practices etc.). I'm glad to say that river bank management and soil maintenance have become high priorities in the UK over recent years.

the system of this planet may be balanced or not but what i know for sure is that the system will balance the impact of the human race wether we help it or not
I see things in the same kind of way. I just hope we haven't sat on the scales so heavily that they're gonna flip us off into oblivion in response (long[ish] term that is)

im glad this film is coming out as it is a possitive way for people to learn more about the issues highlighted if loosely concerning global warming.
Yeah, let's hope the sensationalism provokes debate more than it smothers it.

PS i live near a river and for the first time in 40 years we had partional flooding this was attibuted by poor management and hell lot of rain
T'wasn't abnormally heavy rainfall by any chance was it?

There is a theory that was proposed in 1997 that caused quite a stir among scientists. It was reviewed and modeled by others, in which the models tended to agree that a deflection of the gulf stream (north atlantic drift that is the cause of the ice age in the film) would cause an ice age. If you are interested the paper is available here:
Climate Change Requires a Dam at the Strait of Gibraltar

Just to clear up some things that were mentioned in earlier posts:
CO2 and methane are the two major gases that are implemented in global warming. Nitrous oxide N2O also functions as a greenhouse gas. Many people would be surprised that CO2 only makes up 0.037% of the atmosphere, which has increased from 0.028% pre-1750, which is a significant increase. CO2 is normally "locked up" or "sequestered" within the ocean, soil, wetlands, and plants, approximately in that order. Deforestation results in a decrease of CO2 removal and the highly significant draining of wetlands worldwide, which function as very efficient carbon stores actually results in the release of CO2 to the atmosphere in very large amounts. These factors, coupled with increased CO2 emissions that are not letting up, result in the large increase of CO2 in the atmosphere. It should be noted that the soil, which functions as a net store of carbon, is actually the largest producer of CO2 in the world. However, it is man, through the industrial processes that is shifting the balance.
While the movie apparently shows the ice age developing over several days, it is more likely that the process would take as little as a decade to several hundred years. However, smaller changes, like the little ice age in the 1800's in Europe that resulted in the complete freezing of the Thames river (with never before seen Ice Festivals) can occur in the time frame of a few years. Nevertheless, the movie can serve to open the eyes of the public to the effects of global warming and possibly spurn some pressure on governments to take action now, rather than the day after tomorrow.

I See You When You're Sleeping
I'm not really partial to 'disaster' movies. It'll surprise me if it doesn't stick to the formula.

(1)OK
(2)Not OK
(3)OK

I wanted to rent it from the local blockbuster... but they've been out of stock for three days now. So it has to be pretty good... sigh... I had settled for the "Alamo". Not a bad movie. I wasn’t disappointed…