What to do about a "Rogue Trader"?

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
UK meaning= Bad tradesman, Landscaper, Roofer etc, not to be confused with a "Rogue Trader" as in Gordon Gekko.

Basically, found an advert in the local advertising paper for a Landscape gardener.

Got the guy to come round and give a quote for the work that needed done.

He came round the following week, did less than half the work, stopped due to rain and wanted payment.

Here is the part where I was incredibly stupid and naive. The total for the work was going to be £220 with a further £20 once a week for a month to come back and treat the grass, finish up etc. So a total of £300.

He asked for £180 of the £220 and I gave it to him,I didn't ask for any kind of receipt.

He was supposed to come round on Monday to finish the work, didn't show up so I phoned him and he agreed to come back today at 10.00am to finish up. Again he didn't turn up so I phoned him, and he basically said he wasn't coming back, where are your witnesses, receipt etc. He cited that the "Dog Mess" was the reason for him not coming back which is nonsense because we cleaned up everything that was in the garden.

I messaged him asking for half the money back, as £180 is too much to basically cut the grass for 90 minutes. I said I would report him to Trading standards and the advertising paper.

So what now? Reporting him is probably a waste of time right? Also £180 is not the end of the world, my partner and I both work full time so the money is not really an issue. I just feel unjustly ripped off and want to know what my options are.

I have holiday time coming up so I did consider luring him to an address, following him and telling all his potential customers that he is a con artist.

p.s. Yes I know I have been naive and very stupid by paying him, not getting receipt.

What do you think?

Definately report him to Trading Standards and the paper you saw the advert in, as well as any other paper or advert you see of his. You can also write to local papers and see if he's on any local internet trading sites.

You can also get in touch with the Citizen's Advice Bureau or try this.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan..._more_help.htm

Also, although you might be embarrassed, make sure you tell as many people in the area as possible. Keep mentioning it.

Go get 'im, gandalf.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Report him so that no one else falls victim to his scheme.

Suspect's Reviews

£180 is high, we called in a 'gardener' to cut our grass when we were looking for one and he quoted £300, we basically told him to **** off, but in a nicer way... £300 to cut the grass, eh. We now have a rather nice man who cuts it for £20-£30 depending on the length/time it takes.

How big is your garden? £180 seems rather steep unless you have a massive massive garden. The reason I get a man in to cut the grass is because I can not be arsed to cut our garden because of the size.

Or are you having all special treatment doing to it, 'posh grass' looking. I just get it cut and that's it.

I have holiday time coming up so I did consider luring him to an address, following him and telling all his potential customers that he is a con artist.
Do you know anyone who has a garden that will do that for you? if he comes to that address, you should be waiting to take a photo of the car/van, the license plate and of the actual man. Even if it actually turns out that he does the work and doesn't run off with money, you will at least have all that photographic evidence of the man.

As people have said, report the man's advertisement.