Hayao Miyazaki to Retire

Tools    

Sorry if this is posted already, but just heard the news that Miyazaki is set to retire after his last film, "The Wind Rises."

Oscar-winning director Hayao Miyazaki's animation studio says "The Wind Rises," in competition at the Venice Film Festival, will be his last film.
Koju Hoshino announced Miyazaki's intention to retire Sunday, but declined to take questions, deferring to a news conference next week in Tokyo. "He wants to say goodbye to all of you, " the Studio Ghibli president said.
Miyazaki was not in Venice for the international premiere. His Italian distributor said he stayed in Japan for the domestic release.
Miyazaki, 72, is one of animation's most-admired and successful directors. He won an Oscar for "Spirited Away" in 2003, and a Golden Lion for lifetime achievement in 2005.
"The Wind Rises," Miyazaki's 11th feature film, is a fantasy-filled look at the man who designed Japan's World War II fighter planes.

Think I'm panicking right now.

That really sucks, man

My personal favourite movie of his is Princess Mononoke, and since then, I've watched almost all of his stuff.

I didn't know he won an Oscar, but I know he deserved it. What a big loss for the animation film world. I hope he'll still consider doing some writing...
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

I've seen all his feature films, except his very first one (wich seems quite different from his other work). He's a great director and it's always a shame when an inspirational filmmaker stops making feature length movies.

I wish he'd make at least one more film, but oh well, I still have his newest picture to look forward to. He's 72 and it's very understandable that he wants to retire.

Great man.

I've decided I'm going to watch all his films this week just to delude myself into believing this terrible news isn't true. I'm holding out hope that "retirement" means Cher-Farewell-Tour retirement and not Pope Benedict retirement.

Does anyone know about a Miyazaki movie collector's set? I usually don't care for those, but this one could be worth it. If they haven't made one, they should get on it!

Does anyone know about a Miyazaki movie collector's set? I usually don't care for those, but this one could be worth it. If they haven't made one, they should get on it!
You're more likely to find a Studio Ghibli collector's set. I don't think a Miyazaki box set was ever published.

Haha I love you Donnie

Fittingly, Film4 just had a Studio Ghibli week and I managed to record a few of his films to finally watch.
Start with Spirited Away. I'm pretty sure it's something you'd like/love.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
I have seen very few of his films. Don't care for them and avoid them if I can. At his age though I would think it is probably time to retire and enjoy life a little before the end of it. Best wishes to him and his.

Start with Spirited Away. I'm pretty sure it's something you'd like/love.
I actually started watching Princess Mononoke and it really grabbed my interest, but had to go out so I recorded it all, also recorded Nausicaa and Pom Poko. Spirited Away is on Tuesday morning so I'll record it then.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Be ready to welcome Guaporense with a knife before your door the next day.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

good riddance.

Thought he lost everything,then he lost a whole lot more.
If I'm not mistaken Miyazaki also made similar statements just after he finished working on Ponyo. So I would not be too worried.