Oscar's Best Cinematography 2016

Tools    

The Best Cinematography Oscar goes to...?
10.53%
2 votes
Roger Deakins, SICARIO
0%
0 votes
Ed Lachman, CAROL
73.68%
14 votes
Emmanuel Lubezki, THE REVENANT
0%
0 votes
Robert Richardson, THE HATEFUL EIGHT
15.79%
3 votes
John Seale, MAD MAX: FURY ROAD
19 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are the best photographed movies of the year, according to the Academy voters. Which would get your vote?

Roger Deakins, Sicario

Ed Lachman, Carol

Emmanuel Lubezki, The Revenant

Robert Richardson, The Hateful Eight

John Seale, Mad Max: Fury Road

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	sicario.jpg
Views:	2063
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	23703   Click image for larger version

Name:	carol.jpg
Views:	1960
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	23704   Click image for larger version

Name:	revanent1.jpg
Views:	2445
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	23705   Click image for larger version

Name:	hateful.png
Views:	2027
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	23706   Click image for larger version

Name:	fury.jpg
Views:	1894
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	23707  

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Chivo Lubezki killed it and should win. These are some excellent nominees this year.

This is the only award that is practically guaranteed to go to The Revenant. I said it before and will gladly say again that it's one of the best looking films I've ever seen.

Poor Roger Deakins. He is one of the best at his art and has lasted long enough to become one of the true elder statesman in his business, but despite working with filmmakers like Joel & Ethan Coen, Martin Scorsese, and Denis Villeneuve, Mr. Deakins has not yet managed to win an Oscar for Best Cinematography. Sicario marks his thirteenth nomination! Unless he drops dead, he will win one of these eventually. But not this year. Again.

With his long white hair, Robert Richardson could be considered an elder statesman of cinematography, and boy is he still in his prime. Unlike Deakins, Richardson has won before. Three times, actually: Oliver Stone's JFK and Scorsese's The Aviator and Hugo. He has five other nominations, including Tarantino's previous two flicks Django Unchained and Inglorious Basterds. Working in full 70mm must have been a joy worth every challenge it presented, but he has the bad luck of this work coming in the same year as that OTHER snowbound Western. His ninth nomination won't bring him his fourth win, but at only sixty years old he should have many, many more nominations and maybe even a couple more wins coming, especially if he keeps working with the likes of Tarantino and Scorsese.

I like Ed Lachman a lot. Going back to the beginning of his career in the 1980s with films like David Byrne's True Stories, Mira Nair's Mississippi Masala, and Paul Schrader's Light Sleeper, then teaming with Soderbergh for The Limey (still my favorite from Lachman) and Erin Brockovich before his first collaboration with Todd Haynes in Far From Heaven. They subsequently paired for the Bob Dylan piece I'm Not There and the HBO mini-series "Mildred Pierce". Carol is evocative of a pristine, dreamlike 1950s which is lovely and belies the nightmare of secrecy and intolerance the characters find themselves in (and less stylized than the colorful Douglas Sirk aping going on in Far From Heaven). But he won't win. His only other nomination was for Far From Heaven, the year Connie Hall won posthumously for The Road to Perdition.

Australian John Seale has been working since the 1980s as well, with his first two Oscar noms coming from Peter Weir's Witness and Barry Levinson's Rain Man, plus he also shot Gorillas in the Mist, The Mosquito Coast, The Hitcher, Children of a Lesser God, Dead Poets Society, Steakout, and The Firm in the first chunk of his career. He won the Oscar for The English Patient, was nominated for Cold Mountain, and helped establish the look for the whole series when he lensed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. George Miller's return to Mad Max was something he couldn't say no to as he came out of retirement to help bring the ambitious actioner to life. If this is the capper to his career, wow, what an amazing way to go out (the Depp/Jolie dud The Tourist was his previous credit, five years ago). If Emmanuel Lubezki wasn't the most amazing Director of Photography around right now, he may even have a chance of winning, but even as magnificent and striking as Fury Road is, this is Lubezki's to lose.

Emmanuel Lubezki is simply lapping everybody else in the biz, right now. He has been one of the best cinematographers for the past twenty years, but he is emerging as perhaps the cinematographer of this era. The Revenant makes his eighth nomination, and he has won the award the past two years in a row, for Gravity and Birdman. And now he will become the first person to ever win three in a row for his amazing work in The Revenant. Filming period pieces in natural light has been done before. A benchmark example is when John Alcott won the Oscar for 1975 for his stunning work in Kubrick's Barry Lyndon, no small feat with the lenses and technology available at that time. Lubezki and Iñárritu certainly have more impressive toys to play with, but having the equipment and using it to its full glory are different steps.

If you haven't yet learned the name Emmanual Lubezki, you damn well should. If you see his name attached to a project know that you are going to be overwhelmed by some of the most beautiful images and ingenious camerawork in all of cinema.

Attachments

Name:	sicario2.jpg
Views:	1899
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	23708   Click image for larger version

Name:	hateful2.jpg
Views:	2025
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	23709   Click image for larger version

Name:	carol3.jpg
Views:	1973
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	23710   Click image for larger version

Name:	fury2.jpg
Views:	1776
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	23711   Click image for larger version

Name:	revenant.jpg
Views:	3369
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	23712  

I really have no problems with the Academy's top five, especially as no matter what they chose, four of them are only sacrifices to The Revenant. But there was other gorgeous, exciting work in 2015 that I loved...

If there is anything approaching the level of a snub, on artistic merit alone, it is Hard to Be a God. This bizarre Russian Medieval/Sci-Fi film was finished posthumously after director Aleksei German died, back in 2013. Filming began all the way back in 2000, and like some of Orson Welles' legendary projects, it would stop and start filming on and off for over a decade. There are two credited cinematographers, Vladimir Ilin and Yuri Klimenko. Ilin died in 2006, seven years before his director, and Klimenko finished the project. Because of all that complicated back story, not to mention that nobody saw it, it is not at all surprising that it went unnominated by the Academy. Whether you find the film epic and transportive or impenetrable and pretentious, there is absolutely no denying it is a visual feast. Check out the trailer, below...

Janusz Kaminski didn't make the cut this year, but I doubt he's losing any sleep over it. Kaminski already has six nominations in his career and two wins, for Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan. His work in Spielberg's Bridge of Spies is definitely up to their usual standards, but I guess the film itself didn't have quite enough traction to get the nom? I'm OK with Ed Lachman's Carol being representative of that era, this time. Certainly Janusz will be back.

Other than the hypnotic awe of Hard to Be a God, the other project I would have put in my personal top five is Adam Arkapaw's work on Justin Kunzel's Macbeth. As an overall film it didn't quite supplant Polanski's '70s version for me, but Fassbender and Marion Cotillard were terrific and the stylized cinematography was gorgeous. Arkapaw, who also shot the first season of HBO's "True Detective" and the Australian film Animal Kingdom, has never been nominated. But if he keeps up work like this, he will be, down the line.

In another year, Thomas Vinterburg's remake of Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd may have garnered all sorts of awards attention, but it was released early in the year and rather got lost in the shuffle. I much prefer John Schlessinger's 1967 adaptation, but it's a well made movie, including Charlotte Bruus Christensen's cinematography. I loved her work on Viterburg's The Hunt, too. Hers is definitely a name I will keep an eye out for.

And while this movie didn't blow me away either, it should be no surprise that Ping Bin Lee's work on Hsiao-Hsien Hou's The Assassin was stunningly beautiful. Ping Bin's best-known work to Western audiences is Wong Kar-Wai's lush In the Mood for Love. He should have been nominated for that back in 2000, and if the The Assassin had gotten more of a push he may have gotten nominated this year.

Some other very honorable mentions for cinematography: Slow West (Robbie Ryan), Beasts of No Nation (Cary Joji Fukunaga), Mr. Holmes (Tobias Schliessler), Joy (Linus Sandgren), Cop Car (Matthew J. Lloyd & Larkin Seiple), It Follows (Mike Gioulakis), and By the Sea (Christian Berger).

Attachments

Name:	god.jpg
Views:	1751
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	23715   Click image for larger version

Name:	bridge1.jpg
Views:	1750
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	23716   Click image for larger version

Name:	macbeth.jpg
Views:	2159
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	23717   Click image for larger version

Name:	madding.jpg
Views:	1841
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	23718   Click image for larger version

Name:	assassin1.jpg
Views:	1838
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	23719  

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I would add the lush widescreen lensing of Chung Chung-hoon (Park Chan-wook's regular cinematographer) for Me and Earl and the Dying Girl.

In another no doubter, Emmanuel "El Chivo" Lubezki won the Oscar for Best Cinematography, and he becomes the first to ever win the award in three consecutive years (he won last year for Birdman and the year before that for Gravity).

Damn. He gooooooood.

Attachments

Name:	chivo.jpg
Views:	1913
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	24405  

How long do you think it'll be before colourist becomes a new category? Or do you think they'll add it to the cinematography category or make it a joint award?

Please hold your applause till after the me.
The Revenant is easily one of the most gorgeous films I have ever seen in my life, and considering the fact that they used natural lighting is something else entirely. This filmed earned it's Oscar within in the first few shots, it was beautiful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Emmanuel Lubezki now the first and only person to ever win an oscar three consecutive years in a row.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Emmanuel Lubezki now the first and only person to ever win an Oscar three consecutive years in a row.
No, actually. First to win this Oscar, for Cinematography, three years in a row. That is a yes.

But Jim Rygiel and Randall William Cook won Oscars three years in a row for heading Peter Jackson's visual effects team for The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Going back further, Roger Edens won three consecutive Academy Awards for composing the scores of Easter Parade (1948), On the Town (1949), and Annie Get Your Gun (1950), back when Musicals were king. But Walt Disney beats everybody. He won competitive Oscars eight years in a row for animated short from 1931-1939. In the 1950s he also won for documentary short four years in a row.