Unfrosted: The Pop-Tart Story - Jerry Seinfeld directing

Tools    

Oh, boy. I was looking forward to this one, having been a big Seinfeld fan. But we watched it last night, and it completely missed me. Bailed after about 35 minutes.

It's not an awful premise, pitting Kelloggs again Post over a "pop tart" confection. But there were no laughs-- barely a smile. Maybe the picture's humor is not my type. I got the impression they were going for zany, ala Wes Anderson, or even the Coens. But it was way below that, and the silly setup situations simply didn't tickle me.

Seinfeld's stories "about nothing" from his wildly popular TV show must not translate to a full movie. I think they'd have needed Michael Richards' Kramer to save this one. For those of you who see it, if the picture suddenly gets funny, let me know, and I'll go back and slog through to that point...

I actually really liked it. It's aggressively silly, but as long as you just take that ride it's a lot more enjoyable. There is no real narrative or character development or anything, and that's fine. It's just pure absurdity. Cameos galore, ridiculous juxtaposition of seriousness and absurdity.

This kinda has the feeling of a cult classic, to me. And at minimum it's really refreshing to see Netflix throw money at something aggressively weird as opposed to another cookie-cutter time-filler.

I feel like, from what I’ve heard, this is just a bunch of comics doing bits. Bill Burr’s character, Kyle Dunnigan’s multiple characters, Thomas Lennon, Cedric Yarborough, now I’m just reciting Reno 911 cast members.

I feel like, from what I’ve heard, this is just a bunch of comics doing bits. Bill Burr’s character, Kyle Dunnigan’s multiple characters, Thomas Lennon, Cedric Yarborough, now I’m just reciting Reno 911 cast members.
Kyle Dunnigan was BRILLIANT as Walter Cronkite