What are your thoughts on the movie American Gangster??

Tools    

What are your thoughts on the movie American Gangster??My thougts are that it is a excellent story good acting and awseome directing.What are yours?

slow... and slow...! 7 out of 10

Lost in never never land
Well, I am going to do a premptive reply not having seen it, but here is where I stand when I read about it and see trailers and bits on it:

"Why should I care about this film when there have been a considerable number of films that are basically identical to this made. In fact last year there was a film that was about mobsters that was made that did quite well. I really could care less about it because I have seen so many movies of this genre that are touted as good that are all really the same movie that I don't care to see another one that is already something that I have seen three or four times.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

What are your thoughts on the movie American Gangster??My thougts are that it is a excellent story good acting and awseome directing.What are yours?
I haven't seen the movie, although friends tell me it's pretty good. I expect it is, since Denzel Washington is a good actor who usually manages to improve even bad films. Russell Crowe also is a popular actor although, in my opinion, not as good or as dependably even-handed in his performances as is Washington.

Having not seen the film, I won't comment on the film itself, but there are a couple of related areas that I think are worthy of discussion. One is that in recent years when a new movie is about to hit the screen and is being promoted, I've noticed that one or more programs come on television discussing the historical period or the real people on whom the movie is based. I recently saw a TV program about the drug dealer who Washington plays in this movie. According to the film, he got his start while serving in the US Army during the Vietnam war by shipping illegal drugs back in the coffins of dead GIs. Not a very nice guy in real life, obviously. The program went on to discuss how he and another black drug dealer took the Harlem drug trade away from the Mafia by being too violent for even Mafia standards and then fought each other for final control. In between killings, he bought his mama a nice home and handed out a few holiday turkeys in the old neighborhood to nourish his Robin Hood image. Needless to say, the real gangster wasn't nearly as handsome or as clean-cut in appearance as Denzel Washington. Heck, who is?

And that got me wondering--will handsome, likeable Denzel Washington in this role do as much in reviving the image of this murderous drug-pusher as Warren Beaty and Faye Dunaway did in popularizing Bonnie and Clyde? The real Bonnie and Clyde were trashy and pretty seedy looking; no one would have given either one of them a second look except for their reputations as being ready to kill for little or no reason. Clyde's first known victim was a man he shot when he tried to stop Clyde from stealing his car parked in the driveway. Bonnie and Clyde were never as "popular" as the movie made them out to be. I knew a member of Clyde's family who hated him for the suspicions he cast on the Barrow name. Americans have a way of glorifying and popularizing outlaws, but when you read the police arrest sheets and other information on these people, there are a pretty pathetic lot.

Well, I am going to do a premptive reply not having seen it, but here is where I stand when I read about it and see trailers and bits on it:

"Why should I care about this film when there have been a considerable number of films that are basically identical to this made. In fact last year there was a film that was about mobsters that was made that did quite well. I really could care less about it because I have seen so many movies of this genre that are touted as good that are all really the same movie that I don't care to see another one that is already something that I have seen three or four times.
What films would that be ?

I thought it was a very good film. 8/10, great story, Washington is good as is Russell Crowe.

I did not like the way the film portrayed Washington as some sort of Robin Hood of the ghetto. I would rate this movie a 6 out of 10.

Welcome to the human race...
What films would that be ?
I think the "mobsters movie from last year" is The Departed.

Anyway, I was decidedly "meh" about the whole thing. To me, it seems like the majority of gangster films made in the past few years try too hard to trade off Goodfellas's winning formula for the "gangster movie". American Gangster is Ridley Scott's "Scorsese movie".

American Gangster is Ridley Scott's "Scorsese movie".

Is it me or is this like saying: Escape from New York is like.......... Fill in the blank_________-

I loved American Gangster, i thought it was one of the best films from last year and would definatly recommend it.

Welcome to the human race...
Any other John Carpenter movie.
I can see it being compared to Escape From L.A. (which was pretty much a retread), but how can you compare it to, say, The Fog or In the Mouth of Madness?

agree. Washington is a great actor.

I loved American Gangster. Denzel Washington is amazing.

I liked it. I'll probably buy the DVD next week. It wasn't quite as good as the gangster classics like Goodfellas or Scarface, but it worked.

North American Scum!
Denzel was amazing but the story was definetly slow and fairly unoriginal. I mean they can only do the whole mobster rise to the top and crash and burn routine so many times.

I haven't seen the movie but I think it's a good one...