Shutter Island

Tools    

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I read the book when it first came out. I could NOT put it down. I would sit in my car before work, read as much as I could, then do the same thing when I got out of work. For those of you who don't know, its by Dennis Lehane, the author who wrote Mystic River. I halfway expected Clint to take a crack at this one too, but I'm interested in Scorsese's vision. I can't wait to see what they do with the ending. The ending in the book just totally cheesed me off. All that time invested in reading it, and all I could say was, "AARRRGGGHHHHH!!!" I'm looking forward to seeing Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Max von Sydow and Emily Mortimer as the crazed murderess Rachel Solando.
So the ending of the book was terrible?

The trailer is pretty intriguing and von Sydow always adds a touch of the eerie to any film.

The trailer is pretty intriguing and von Sydow always adds a touch of the eerie to any film.
Almost everyone I've chatted with that has read the novel states that the ending was one of the best they've ever read. birdygyrl was the first I've read to state otherwise. I myself saw the ending coming while reading the novel, but I put loads of emphasis on it from all the hype I had heard. If too much emphasis is put on the "surprise" in the film, I'm afraid that it will be predictable for movie goers. But, if Scorsese executes the ending properly, it could be a grand climax.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Thanks. I did a bit of digging around and the book is being compared to a "B-movie" plot. That doesn't surprise me since Scorsese is such a movie fan himself. I used to love those psychological B-movies.

I did go discover the ending so now I've spoiled the story for myself.

Why do I do that?

MovieForums Extra

The ending to the book is not terrible. On the contrary, the ending took a twist that I didn't see coming. It was sort of a "how did I miss that" moment. I usually can see an ending coming a mile away, but not this one. I can't wait to see what they do in the movie adaptation.

Meanwhile, Scorsese placing his faith and trust in DiCaprio certainly means he isn't a bad actor, yes? Scorsese is one of the greatest directors of all time (IMO), so I take his opinion on who is good and who isn't as being informed and relevant in the world of film making. I think Scorsese is probably a bit better at deciding who has real acting talent than a bunch of silly folks like us, yes?
He's certainly better positioned to decide who suits his films best (even though, as I noted, I would like to see him get away from this particular collaboration. I think DiCaprio is overrated and Scorsese can do better. Anyway.....). But at the end of the day, I don't care what he or anyone else thinks about DiCaprio or anyone else. I care about what winds up onscreen, and how I respond to it. I was just addressing the notion that he is "obviously a tremendous actor" based on Scorsese's preference for him. I think that's a fallacy. Scorsese is also a renowned cinema historian, but surely amongst his favorite films you would find some you didn't care for, or perhaps even downright loathed. Would the argument "Scorsese loves it, therefore it must have merit" wash with you in regards to those films? I don't think it should.

And I'm aware that you're aware that what takes place onscreen is what matters. It just sounds like you're using Scorsese's opinion to bolster your own, which doesn't mean anything to me. Some people will actually substitute a famous artist's opinion for their own, and that's far worse. I don't think that's what you're doing at all - you're obviously smarter than that - but it's an intellectually slippery slope that many people, for whatever reason, completely fail to recognize.

Which DiCaprio performances do you not like?
I've never seen him give a performance I actively disliked.

I'm looking forward to this, Scorsese is one of my favourite directors, and it looks like a slight departure for him. I'm not familiar with the book, but I hope he pulls it off.

I'd also like to add that I'm something of a DeCaprio fan. I think he's a tremendous actor, and genuinely can't think of a bad performance he's given. The only film with him in that I didn't care for was Titanic, and he was miscast in that one anyway (way too young looking for Kate Winslet).

Banned from Hollywood.
Clint Eastwood should have directed this. just like he did with the adaptation of Lehane's previous novel Mystic River.

Nevertheless i think Scorsese will pull it off..like he always does.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
EDIT: My bad. Thought this was a new trailer, not the old one.

It still does look amazing. Love something other than a gangster flick from Scorcese.

I'm soooo excited about this movie . I can't wait to see it . Hopefully, I'll proberly see it the day it comes out . It's going to be such a great movie especially because it's another Leo/Scorsese film .

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im sooooo looking forward to seeing this movie cant wait