Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3610657

48 Hrs. - (1982)

A lot of credit is due 48 Hrs. First of all, it's casting with Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte mixing really well because of the incredible difference between the two protagonists in this story. Secondly, because nearly all of the films throughout the 60s and 70s featured a big star playing a cop solving a crime - little had been explored when it comes to partnerships, and the writers gave the whole premise a slick twist by making one a criminal. Eddie Murphy's (most probably ad-libbed) quips are all believable, and he never breaks character to act like a clown for cheap laughs. Nick Nolte is a chubbier, more cuddly version of Lee Marvin - a grumpy bear, always untidy whether that be in appearance, the way he works, or the way he relates to other people. This isn't a deeply introspective film, but it was an evolutionary leap forward for the action genre when it came to crime and comedy, and it's gritty, well filmed and magnetic. The story might be lacking a little - but ultimately proves unimportant for the purposes here. This film is all about the two characters plus the way they interact - and audiences loved what they saw here. I do too. I get a kick out of films that feature unlikely friendships - especially when factors like race, status and personality make it all the more unlikely that a couple of people will end up on the same page. This was a game-changer.

8/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Boldly going.
John Wick 3: Parabellum
6/10.
Dog lovers rejoice!
Seriously though, for me the movie suffered from too much action and not enough down time and dialogue; there was so much of it, I felt bored. I rarely say that. I ended up shutting the movie off about 3/4 through. Also I found that when people get knifed in the middle of a busy area and 1) nobody notices, 2) the bodies just disappear magically, it brought me out of the movie.

Elsa & Fred (2005) 7/10

I've seen this movie a long time ago. I completely forgot that the other spanish actors were spanish, for a second I thought I had the spanish dub but that's the normal one . I don't know, I loved Grace and Frankie the netflix show about these old ladies that are in their 80s and they try to give this message that they aren't dead already, that it's not too late to start living, that most old people just settle with the fact that they will pass away soon enough so why bother doing new things. So I kind of remembered about this movie after my grandparents passed away this last year. I wanted to revisit this movie, and see how well I remembered it, since I was probably quite young when I first saw it.

I haven't seen nor plan on watching the new american one though, I'm talking about the argentinian one, I wanted to check out other people's opinions on it, probably why I came here to write about it . Had a little trouble with the search bar, since it also found posts with either elsa or fred alone, can't remember if there's a way to just search a specific phrase but anyway. The movie is about this old lady Elsa that is quite mischievous and a little crazy and meets their new neighbor Fred, whose wife just passed away and had lived pretty much a serious and boring life. Elsa is full of dreams and fantasies but naturally her old age might hold her back from them, but still wants to have one last adventure with Fred, who has never met someone like her. The plot of the movie aside, I was thinking near the end how, all the lies she makes, maybe she is just a pathological liar, and that she has this delirium, these fantasies that just confuse her train of thought and make her so selfish. Often they talk about how she is like a teenager, maybe that's just her personality or maybe she is just having trouble accepting that she is not like she used to be. And in a way maybe that's not so bad? like how old people hold back in the end but, maybe they just do so cause they are afraid of dying, but she says Fred is just afraid of living, and that's pretty interesting honestly. Why prolong a sad life of settling if she can't have what she wants in the end

John Wick - Chapter 4

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

The Murderers Are Among Us, 1946

Susanne (Hildegard Knef) returns to a ruined Berlin in the wake of the end of World War Two. Having spent time in a concentration camp, she is stunned to find that a strange man named Hans (Wilhelm Borchert) is living in an apartment. Despite his claims that the apartment is now his, she declares that she’s moving back in, and the two fall into an uneasy companionship. But Hans is working through some serious emotional damage from his experiences as a German medical officer during the war, and Susanne makes a discovery that forces Hans to confront the traumatic past that’s left him addicted to alcohol and unable to function in a medical setting.

The first German film made after WW2, this film is a fascinating and compelling look at a society grappling with guilt and trauma.

Full review

The Flintstones (1994)

You couldn't have made a better Flintstones movie. It's still as good as it was back then and even better than most movies you'll see in theaters these days.

10/10

I forgot the opening line.

By IMPAwards. Another 48 Hrs. poster., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5116486

Another 48 Hrs. - (1990)

The first 48 Hrs. film received a lot of credit due to it's originality and the fact that it started a trend in buddy cop films - by the time this sequel came out we'd gone through a decade which featured a deluge of them. Credit to Walter Hill and co for sticking so close to the feel and formula of the first film though, despite the fact that Reggie Hammond (Eddie Murphy) had to have his sentence extended by 5 years so that he was still in prison at the start of this one. It ups the ante just a little, but ties in to the first film in an awkward manner (The villain from the first film has a brother intent on vengeance, and the half a million Hammond stole belonged to a criminal Nolte's character happens to be chasing.) We're spent though - why would we watch this when we can just watch the first 48 Hrs.? To give more money to Paramount obviously. It's the nature of sequels, and as such my advice is be wary - you might feel used after watching this. It's not terrible, but it's obviously a rehash.

5/10

By Scanned from DVD cover, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=11369359

The Club - (1980)

From my letterboxd review - "Pure Machiavellianism - David Williamson play The Club focused on the board room backstabbing, dealing, power plays and resentments that would more often than not result in headlines, sackings, a crisis and another season down the toilet at a dysfunctional Australian Football club. The adaptation used Collingwood and the talents of Jack Thompson (coach - Laurie Holden), Graham Kennedy (club president - Ted Parker) and a young John Howard (new recruit Geoff Hayward). Set against the romanticism of "Up There Cazaly" and quaint suburban ground Victoria Park, the game takes a back seat to what goes on behind the scenes - old grudges, money and power doing their work and making running the club rougher than the actual sport. The play's power translates well in this classic Bruce Beresford-directed Australian film, which features enjoyable lighter moments (that incestuous tall tale) and fine performances."

8/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from the distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=51476915

Ghostbusters - (2016)

Ghostbusters comes with a lot of pop culture baggage - you can go all the way back to 1989 and Ghosbusters II to try and fathom why the original film captured lightning in a bottle, and how following it up might be a foolhardy endeavour. I thought remaking it with a female cast was an interesting thing to do - but the reason I steered clear of this was the sample of jokes we saw in the trailer. As far as director Paul Feig is concerned, I liked Bridesmaids but didn't at all care for The Heat - and his career subsequent to those two films seemed to be on a downward trajectory. So, with this film I didn't think everything in it was necessarily bad - but the only thing that distinguishes it from other CGI effects-heavy big budget comedies was the Ghostbusters brand. This is not exceptional in any way, only intermittently amusing and glossy without being clever. I like the idea in general, and liked Melissa McCarthy along with Kristen Wiig - although the former seems to be at a loss with so many props and so much physical stuff her character needs to contend with (the type of physical stuff - knowing that she's comfortable with physical comedy in and of itself.) I ended up firmly in the zone of liking it enough not to hate it, but not liking it enough to end up scoring it on the positive side of the ledger. It lands firmly in the middle. It sorely needed more to end with than a 10-minute shoot-em-up frenzy - that finale was awful.

5/10
Yeah, I didn't get that one, except for the principle that there's no honor among thieves OR movie producers. The original is one of my favorites. The sets remind me of familiar streets I've walked in the Big Apple and the cast reminds me of Golden Age SNL. As long as someone was going to remake Ghostbusters, they might have also remade Gone With the Wind.

Mystery Men (1999)

A spoof on comic book movies, starts off pretty strong and you think its going to be awesome but somewhere near the middle to end it gets sort of mediocre and you feel like you're losing interest. I saw parts of this movie in various places over the years and this would be my first time seeing the whole thing.

7/10

Good story, excelent action scenes, decent acting.... and we will have another Extraction

'Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret.' (2023)

Directed by Kelly Fremon-Craig

Sweet coming of age film (based on the novel of the same name) about 11 year old Margaret, who is baffled at events in her life in 1970s America, is desperate to start her period and wants to start wearing a bra.

Margaret prays to God for things and religious identity is a key theme director Kelly Fremon-Craig uses to dissect how it can affect family life. The little prayers to god Margaret narrates have echoes of the 'Dear Diary' entries Winona Ryder gives us in' Heathers'.

The film is good at making the viewer reminisce how it felt to be 11 - anger, embarrassment and confusion everywhere. It's a little saccharine at times, although Benny Safdie and Rachel McAdams are pretty good as Margaret's parents. McAdams' character is well written in terms of telling us that coming of age doesn't really ever stop. We still try and fit in where we can as adults and even learn new things about us as we waddle on on through life.

7.2/10

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Umano Non Umano (1972) - Kinda 1/10 TBH, but it has some OK ideas so let's say it's a 4.

Has some interesting moments, but the whole thing is communist propaganda nonsense with the painting of the sickle and hammer and the ending where a crowd of workers with red flags, portraits of Che, and Mao, and Lenin's booklets walk through the city. It looks like it's a sort of protest by both the Italian Communist Party and the Italian Confederation of Trades Unions but who cares, really? Trash.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Latest watches:
An Eye For An Eye 1981
+
Iron Eagle II 1988
+
Sinbad And The War Of The Furies 2016

The Destiny Of A Man aka Fate Of A Man 1959
+
Lifechanger 2018
+
Bermuda Tentacles 2014

30,000 Leagues Under The Sea 2007
+
Prey 2019
+
The Lost Continent 1968
+
The Mole People 1956

Treasure Guards 2011

The Shrine 2010

Monster Hunters 2020

The House That Dripped Blood 1971
+
Stardust 2007
+
Solar Attack 2006
+
Coward Of The County 1981

Enjoyable movie, but it went bonkers at the end. Shades of Rosemary’s Baby.

A docudrama rather than a movie per se. Enjoyed it so much I watched it twice. Sydney Sweeney exceptionally good.

7th Re-watch...Re-watched this masterpiece yesterday and I didn't think of it until about halfway through the movie, but it was a very appropriate movie for Father's Day. This is one of the best adaptions of a Broadway musical to the screen, definitely in the top five. It hasn't aged a bit in the 52 years since its release. Enjoyed it just as much the 8th time as I did the first time. Topol is brilliant.

The black magick community is a hidden group of individuals who practice a dark form of witchcraft. This type of witchcraft is based on the belief that one can harness the power of Kabbalah and Jamaican Obeah spirits called Duppies to achieve their goals.

Yep, that Book Club movie does look like someone's reanimated the dead.

Yep, that Book Club movie does look like someone's reanimated the dead.
I have no plans to watch this, but your comment is a tad harsh.