WAR ON IRAQ:BIG mistake

Tools    

BANNED
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
“The soldiers” and “they” in your statement implies ALL soldiers… and I think it is very presumptuous of you to assume the position of spokesperson for each and every soldier serving in Iraq…

And as far as the video goes… the only evidence we have that the owner of the car, if indeed he was the owner, was a taxi driver who lost his means of support was the voice of a faceless narrator… and I, personally, couldn’t tell who actually laughed at the end of the tape… it could have been anyone from the camera man to one of the Iraqis themselves from what I saw… but the bottom line is that looting is robbing someone else of their property… in America he would have been arrested and fined... possibly losing his car in the process anyway...
Not ALL soldier's are cruel and heartless. I didn't say they ALL were. But it is as if they (they are the soldiers) don't care anymore. And why should they? Caitlyn I recommend you go to the PBS website and watch online the 'Frontline' program. Watch part one at least (It's where that video came from). You will see that the U.S. did more harm than good in the newly occupied lands. Undoubtedly, the city has become a garbage can, everything is now ugly and defaced, garabge galore on the streets, no jobs, and a very unhappy population. What the U.S. DID do was take out Saddam and that is a good thing, but was the price worth it it? Was it worth destroying all the beautiful buildings and architectures in Bagdad just because? The city looks like a total ****hole now. Throughout history Bagdad has been the center of art and literature. Many Renaissance experts believe that the spectacular movement began in Bagdad and spread to Europe. Even 15 years ago, Bagdad was still a beautiful city to visit, with skyscrapers and modern buildings, all of which have been rendered ugly and useless by the bombings.
As far as the looting goes that is the U.S.'s fault for not supplying the amount of soldeirs needed to protect key buildings. The first thing the U.S. did upon entering Iraq, was defending the oil supplies, (not the museum's, palaces, stores, shops, people, houses, but OIL). That is why so many people claim that Bush merely wanted to stick his oil straw intoIraq. Although looting is wrong, and you shouldn't do it, the punishment should be proportionate. That car was his life. Wood for life? uhh..No.

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
“The soldiers” and “they” in your statement implies ALL soldiers… and I think it is very presumptuous of you to assume the position of spokesperson for each and every soldier serving in Iraq…

And as far as the video goes… the only evidence we have that the owner of the car, if indeed he was the owner, was a taxi driver who lost his means of support was the voice of a faceless narrator… and I, personally, couldn’t tell who actually laughed at the end of the tape… it could have been anyone from the camera man to one of the Iraqis themselves from what I saw… but the bottom line is that looting is robbing someone else of their property… in America he would have been arrested and fined... possibly losing his car in the process anyway...

Thats true, I agree with what your saying but the punishment doesn't fit the crime... in fact its a lot worse. The documentary clip, if it is to be believed - does infact say the soilders, frustrated that they can not convey their message decide to go striaght to the "punishment" ... here technically we didn't "read the suspect his rights" if you know what I mean.

Finally I think this can all be psychological... if the footage before showed how reckless the citizens were behaving tearing down structures and running off with property... then the damage to the car is RELATIVELY small and the viewer at home would say....ahh yes, eventually you will have to resort to such a harsh tatic to restore ORDER, Cu-dos.

But if the footage before infact showed American Soilders Abusing their power in post-war IRAQ... then this clip may just be one of the shorter examples they put on the net for the viewer's convience... its all circumstantial

Frankly, either way, I stand unequivical that the punishment has to fit the crime.... crushing down the car wasn't the BEST way to dole out PUNISHMENT.

BANNED
Originally Posted by kaisersoze
Thats true, I agree with what your saying but the punishment doesn't fit the crime... in fact its a lot worse. The documentary clip, if it is to be believed - does infact say the soilders, frustrated that they can not convey their message decide to go striaght to the "punishment" ... here technically we didn't "read the suspect his rights" if you know what I mean.

Finally I think this can all be psychological... if the footage before showed how reckless the citizens were behaving tearing down structures and running off with property... then the damage to the car is RELATIVELY small and the viewer at home would say....ahh yes, eventually you will have to resort to such a harsh tatic to restore ORDER, Cu-dos.

But if the footage before infact showed American Soilders Abusing their power in post-war IRAQ... then this clip may just be one of the shorter examples they put on the net for the viewer's convience... its all circumstantial

Frankly, either way, I stand unequivical that the punishment has to fit the crime.... crushing down the car wasn't the BEST way to dole out PUNISHMENT.
Read my post right above yours. We think nearly the same.

there's a frog in my snake oil
But what's wiser, on the ground in Iraq? To destroy his most vital possession and make it near inevitable that he'll turn to further crime and see the US as spiteful? Or to represent force of law in a reasonable way - i.e. impounding the wood as suggested.

(after all, the soldiers had/have nothing better to do than to act like armoured police in a chaotic environment. The problem is of course, they're not trained for all this.)

Besides, looting in a country impoverished by war and regime brutality, where jobs are very scarce, and the feeling of "getting one back" on ex "superiors" very empowering, is hardly comparable to looting in a stable democracy.

With any luck, the reservists that make up around 50% of the rotated US forces will act a bit more sensibly than pumped up combat-soldiers when it comes to stuff like this.

God knows, it'd be nice for there to be a benefit to the Bush-admin's presumptive attempts to be the sole policeman with world-wide jurisdiction. ()