Film Journal

Tools    

going through my collection
Long time no see gang!!

I want to just have a space where i keep track of the films i watch, it feels more official when it's public.

So removing film is like removing a limb, my problem is just fitting all my interests together, i've always had an all or nothing attitude.

I'm in a silent era phase, which is probably the most appropriate secular film time frame in this abode, but also balancing it all out, only watching films from my collection, we don't have the tech to stream on our 50 inch.

1. Foolish Wives -- my first Stroheim, the Kino Classics edition, might have to get the Flicker Alley one too.

Shorts intermission -- some Brakhage, i finally upgraded to Blu on this Criterion release /// 1st ep. of Feulliade's Les Vampyres /// and a little bit more from Early Women Pioneer Filmmakers, slow process but savoring each morsel.

Now as i type this after a scene with more flesh than my biblically minded dad could handle i'm going through

2. A Tale of Cinema, the 2nd in a 2 film release by a Korean master, it's nice to see the bright neon colors, makes me think i gotta appreciate some Wong Kar Wai soon. Emotional Korean karaoke sounds like Bjork!!

Exciting releases are on the way: today Wings is coming, the 1st best picture winner, and on Tuesday German silent Variete, and hang on to your hats, MORE is on the way, including Eureka's Zulawski titles i thought i'd never see those 2 in particular The Devil and On the Silver Globe, that's what was largely to blame for me saying hell man, i gotta make room in my anti-busy schedule for films.

Hope everyone's having a great 2024 so far!!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Really great here. Seen almost 500 films this year so far.

You might want to consider getting a Letterboxd account for your journal. Makes things easier.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Awesome, nahhh, LB sometimes doesn't have what i watch, thus making me not feel like watching those things. Just for appreciation mucho re-watching, not about quantity for me no more.

Really great here. Seen almost 500 films this year so far.

You might want to consider getting a Letterboxd account for your journal. Makes things easier.

3. Breathless -- my just before going to church film fairly innocuous stuff, and i've never seen it on blu ray in full yet, watching from the set of 5 of his 60's films. I can't get over it, so i make mention of it freely here to get it off my chest, but practically everything of value in film is bound to be offensive to my dad. I love him, but it gets on my nerves, when he's gone i can watch anything and smoke at the same time, i might even forget where the pause button is on the remote!!

1st extra indirectly tells me to watch Bonnie & Clyde, Godard was gonna direct that, but there was miscommunication.

Don't mean to be a killjoy, but if there's one thing your dad's right about it's that smoking is bad for you.

4. Bonnie and Clyde -- with the volume turned down low, will do it proper but still without the sound when it's dark, i love Faye in this she never looked prettier!! The visual style -- for more of this i need to pop in Badlands and Days of Heaven, sadly i only i have them on DVD, if anyone needs an upgrade it's Malick cinema.

5. Wings -- oh what a joy, chose the pipe organ score as it suits my exhaustion state (been up for a long time), i need to get all the silent era films i can get ASAP, preordered the Vitagraph 3 disc collection May 14th release date, the Silent Era website is a wonderful guide, VCI's Mary Pickford titles look nice, but PRICEY. And i'm supposed to be saving money now gosh darnit!!

What i hope to do with this thread is to give monthly appraisals of what is watched, so next time to add to this expose of my collection it'll be a month's worth of viewing, at the end of May.And i took Minio's advice and made a Letterboxd account by the name of Jarfwarffles. It's funny how many members of LB take on a social justice warrior stance with silent films. Just saying.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
You ever try icheckmovies.com? I've been using that for years.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

It's too much fun to give a running commentary of what i'm watching, i'll dispense with numbering however, tonight i've put on hold Wings and watching Stella Maris from 1918 with Mary Pickford from VCI, Sparrows is on the way too, i like the presentation, it's very romantic and nostalgic, autumnal. I also like to keep posting up to date in this thread to keep saying things, like this: I LOVE ALL silent era films, they are all going to be at least 3 out of 5 stars. I'd like to average 50 films a month, more if counting short films, and out of those no more than 5 can be from a later film period. Another thing i love about silent films is how fundamentally different they are, an unbridgeable chasm separates us from that time period, and yet, through the laudatory labors of preservationists, we are treated to a glimpse. In that seedbed of thinking i scoff at those who nitpick and subject silent films to today's so called better standards, look at today, see how it is, imagine another time when you see the current for what it is, and then you become a silent film fan.

A lovely extra short from DW Griffith adorns the disc called The Mountaineer's Honor.

Next is The Indian Tomb from Kino Classics, a long one, may be finishing it when the sun creeps through the curtains.

Next up is Oh Doctor from 1925, which is paired with Poker Faces, it's snowing here, so the sun doesn't ruin things as bad as it usually does, and i joined i check movies as Jarfowarfo, it's on LB however that i'll keep track mostly of what my collection is, but i should work on a document.

Variete -- Emil Jannings here must have been a template of some sort for Fassbinder's Franz Biberkopf. Thoroughly enjoyed this, dynamic technique, and color tinting, i'm becoming a real sucker for that.

May 2024 goals -- besides the stand alone releases of mostly silent films, there are a few sets i'd like to complete by watching a little bit at a time, the aforementioned Pioneers Early Women Filmmakers, and Eureka's Buster Keaton releases, i only lack The Saphead. And the 2 Feuillade works Les Vampyres and Fantomas both on DVD so i might see by next month whether i want a Blu for them. And Kino's Complete Silent Films of Fritz Lang. There's 3 doozies imo that i might not watch. This thread is kinda superfluous, if i ever make a thread like this again i'll think it through better.

The Son of the Sheik -- i'd love to watch this to Zappa's Sheik Yerbouti some time.

The Circus -- Ingmar Bergman loved this Chaplin film.

Dovzhenko's Earth on an old Image DVD

Ladies and gentlemen,

It is my distinct honor to have partook of Movie Forums and all the other websites i was a member of in the past. However it is and has often been my wish to break away from all contributions online, and live off the grid of the internet in regards to socializing. This makes my continued activity here and anywhere else absurd, and pointless, and yes, even bad, so bad it makes Michael Jackson seem like an angel.

Anyway, i wish to always whenever i feel up to cutting myself off to have some kind of final word, and so that is what this is.

My personal time is to be divided by reading and films, sometimes when watching or reading i'll be listening to music, thus involving the trinity of interests.

My collection of films lives, and i only use the internet to get more, or learn more about them, not to watch them.

The films i must daily feed on as one would on food and drink to stay alive are predominately silent films mostly from the 1910's and 1920's, these precious artifacts more than all other films are to be treasured, my mind and spirit are to be inhabited by and inhabit within them, for this world is too gross and unsavory, with familial discord largely to do with current events, silent films and my kindle are for me what separates me from extreme clinical insanity.

Opinions others have for the films i watch are not wanted, so to exercise the idea of being my own master if such is really true, i shall enact this severing from the cyber populace, wishing there will always be a remnant who treasures what is valuable in this august medium, where dream logic rules the waves of our mental synapses.

Best wishes to you all, and if i come back, quote that horrendous Barbara Streisand song about people needing people to me so that i snap out of it.

Ladies and gentlemen,
All the best to you, buddy.

It's all good to cut your ties off and experience art alone but sometimes you just need a little bit of socializing even if it's just annoying some MoFos with your hot takes.

Thanks Mr Minio and SpelingError!!

This is such a fantastic time of film revival here, hard not to scream out how much of a good time it's going, hint hint i take drugs to enhance everything, when i see a film for the 1st time i see it all in 3 or so sittings (chain smoker here) but all the repeats which is the whole point of watching my collection i do around 20 minutes at a time for a whole bunch, picking up where i left off and so on, and it's a genius trick because dad can't understand it and spends more time upstairs in evenings, so when he sleeps i enjoy some kinds of films that he wouldn't approve of, it's all solved the riddles of the universe, but to make it unbelievable by a quick saying, it's all that's ever made an imprint on my consciousness is like a map, and when you revisit them in a certain way, it becomes clear.