Kitsune's Music Reviews

Tools    

You are the apple of my eye anyways
I figured I would post until I am able to start a brand new thread. Rather than just cheating and posting in my old thread.
Rather than just cheating and posting in my old thread

But to start this thing off with a bang, I think I will have the first one ready today.

Originally Posted by adidasss
You didn't like Frances the Mute?? You are dead to me.
Haha I knew Id catch some flack for that one eventually. To be honest with you after listening to it over and over again i start to grow attached to the album. I think the mars Volta get too creative for their own good.

PROCEED WITH CAUTION THIS ALBUM WILL BLOW YOUR MIND.

"Great Things Come In Threes"
There are many things an album can give the listener.
Threes is an album that gives the biggest one of them all. A triumphant return to a music scene that shunned them. The concept of Threes is to get over the bumps & holes that are laid out on the road leading to that place you've always wanted to go.These lyrics are clearly dedicated to the aesthetic consciousness that is life and coping with it, and in specifics rising above you'r greatest mistakes then throwing it in the faces of the nay sayers.
 Proving to the fans, that they belong more in the spotlight rather in the shadow of the Mars Volta. Breaking the mold that was the sound of At The Drive-In (a band from the late 90's that featured Cedric Bixler & Omar Rodriguiz  who are now the Mars Volta) is no easy task, yet Sparta makes it sound effortless.
To start the album hands you a multitude of dark gut wrenching riffs, that would please any metal head and at the finish it ends with a clam note-to-self scenario thats sounds like a hidden track to Dark Side of the Moon. Its a more mature sound than their early works like, Breaking the Broken or Cut your ribbon. Further more the vocals and use of other instruments are placed together in complex fashion, but is simple to hear. This is a big step artisticaly that Sparta has taken, making an album built around grief, then rising to a much more stabilized level.
"I walked the straightest line, I finished it all in time but no it wasn't enough"
(from left)Keeley Davis, Jim Ward, Matt Miller, Tony Hajjar
With solid tracks like Taking Back Control and subtle one's like Untreatable Disease makes this album a masterpiece. Taking a different approach (in my opinion a better one) to making a complex album than the Mars Volta and At The Drive-in, I find this album very significant not in just the set of music they play, but Rock music in general. Sparta has really shown me how to make a perfect album.
Sparta = Underdogs of 2007

Also be sure to check out Eme Nakia the short film that is based off of Drummer Tony Hajjar's years as a kid after his family fled from Lebanon's cival war and relocated to the United States (thank god he came here).

5/5

To hear sparta and their new album click here If link doesn't work a last resort is myspace

Originally Posted by adidasss
Well, Amputechture sucks major balls, but Frances the Mute and De-Loused were absolutely brilliant.

I loved De-loused, and your right Amputechture sucks major balls. They kinda reminded me of a latin Yes with a shade of some Zepp.

A system of cells interlinked
Glad to see you back in action Castle!

New album I just got, I'll have on ready by sunday.

PINK FLOYD this is gonna usually be album art, but in some cases they may not have the size im looking for Ill  use a band picture.
I decided to do a template, as a guide and also for a new way to do this thread. First if you wanna know what band or artist Im reviewing just hover your cursor over the Album art or the band pictures I put and it in a few seconds will tell you.
[rating] 5/5[rating]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PINK FLOYD
Same for the right image and section.
[rating] 5/5[rating]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FUTURE ROCK CLASSICS
[Hover over to read.]

This one is for albums  that I think in the not to dissdant future will be considered classic. An example: Bands like the Eagles,The Beatles, The Replacements, and Nirvana all have their specific own specific music eras and years. 90's 80's 70's 60's time lines are now considered classics. Classics as in its age. So this album picture is dedicate to future classics from them millenium.    <br />

TWO ALBUMS OF THE WEEK
Hover over these album covers or band pics to find out whos it by bio info ect. ect.
PINK FLOYD<br />
BIO:<br />
ALBUM COMMENTS:<br />
RATING: (1-5)<br />
PINK FLOYD PINK FLOYD<br />
BIO:<br />
ALBUM COMMENTS:<br />
RATING: (1-5)<br />

THIS LITTLE AREA WOULD BE DEDICATED TO SOME RECOMENDED artist's They'l be in the forms of links of course.

IF YOUR GOING TO CONTINUE TO READ THE REVIEWS PLEASE READ THIS: its all good, or you dont have to. But it took me a while to come up with this. So ill have one ready tommorow.Im on mid winter break now so i have time to do this properly.
(I did this to make the Posts more clearer for my readers to enjoy qauilty. And for me stay organized and get hone my wriitng skills.

Any other items I post not with template will either be a conert review, or my trying to start a musical discussion of some sort. I really want this to work and I wanna see people read them so I look forward to this)

Bayside-Walking wounded
Bayside is back after a tour van accident that took the life of drummer John "Beatz" Holahan, and put bass player Nick Ghanbarian in the bed for several months. One would expect their next album to be a downer and a desperate cry out for pity. You wouldn't know it though. The Walking Wounded is a different sound for Bayside. Songs like Duality is a change up to the old punch-line-lyrics howled out by Anthony Raneri, yet they have a few connected to Bayside's Sirens and Condolences( first debut), like Dear your Holiness. "I think its funny you've been /quiet for so long /When you're quiet no one proves you wrong /And dear your holiness /Your armies safe and sound /Down here dying for you ". This is either a really good thing or a really bad idea. "Landing Feet First" is Bayside's first (hopefully not their last) happy song they have ever done."And if I'm on the road for Another thousand years or so/I hope you know a part of me's at home/ Not trading brick for straw in /The house I built around my heart... " It's a change from the depression that lays on the back of the bands reputation. The album takes a stab at the record business and how uncomfortable they are in a scene consisting of money hungry musicians with sharp tongues and a way with words on tracks like Rite of Passage and Pop(ular science). What do you expect though, they're signed to Victory records?However this leaves the album in a complex mess. Ryan O'shea lays down a handfull of solos and riffs that make this sad band a melodic up beat act. The album titled track The Walking Wounded is a solid song featuring Vinny Carunan ( currently of I Am The Avalanche) yet its not enough for the average Bayside listener. Overall the Walking Wounded is a bitter-sweet end to the premature Bayside, and the bands future in making music is as fitting as the name of the album. If this is wounded then Bayside's next album should blow you and I away.
[rating] 4.5/5[rating]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking Back Sunday-Louder Now
Taking Back Sunday's third album Louder Now set the stage for the bands maturity and lets everyone know there here to stay comfortably on top. Even pursueing a future with Warner Bros. they gained soo much more than they could have achieved with the limited space offered on Victory records. The album rocks that's a fact. After Where you want to be and [i] Tell all your friends [i/], Louder now serves as the **** eating grin served with a bag of vindication to the flack laid on the five lads from Long Island , New York for being an Emo band. Taking Back Sunday is leaving Emo behind and picking up a more Rock and Roll sound that even contemporary rivals Brand New and Straylight-Run are unable to compete. They really broaden there horizons on this one. From risque tracks like My Blue Heaven and Twenty Twenty Surgery to the stalker anthem of summer (2007) Make Damn Sure . Louder Now is as loud as is gets aside from the desperate cry for the ending to a relationship thats ran it course on Divine Intervention". "Despondent, distracted,You're vicious and romantic"/"Yeah, we're stubborn and melodramatic,A real class act." Louder now takes back to TBS's humble emo band roots and then shits on it with songs like Miami a toast called for a guitai solo something the band has never done in its past records. You can expect a lot of improvising from Taking Back Sunday on their live performances when your hear Louder Now.
[rating] 5/5[rating]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FUTURE ROCK CLASSICS
SUBLIME

Top Tracks- April 29, 1992, What I Got, Doin Time, Wrong Way, Seed, Santeria
Take a trip to the shady streets of LBC and sulk in the dirty atmosphere while crossing through all of the Marijuana smoke, the women workin the streets, and the problems with police, and youll find Sublime around the corner. "Well Life Is/ So Love The one yah got/ Cuz yah might get run over/ Or You might get shot/..Lovin' is what I got". Most people wont realize it but Brad Knowles is a lyrical genius on par with greats like Bob Dylan, Bob Marely, and Kurt Cobain. Sublime's self-titled album is one of the greatest contributions, to Punk, Ska , Reggae and Rock in general. The bands tell all tales of living on the dirty and jaded streets of Long Beach California is really the soundtrack of where the band started and left off. Knowles writes about a place of prostitution, gang violence, and the day to day life of your average puttz just trying to make it by. He even has a song dedicated to the participation in the L.A riots. "April 26, 1992/ there was a riot on the streets tell me where you/ Next stop we hit up was the music shop/ took only one brick to make that window to drop/ then we got our own P.A./ where do you think I got this guitar your hearing today." Sublime is the Beach Boys on crack in your face playing upon the diamond of the gutter life style carried through the words of Knowles. You'd think he was a black man when listening to his ryhmes (just ask Gwen Stefani a close friend of Knowles). To bad Bradley's herione addiction got the best of him. This was a Trio with promise and a large oppurtunity to make it big resting firmly on their shoulders. Definitely check this album out if like good vibing music

Sweet reviews, Castle! Though I am not a fan of a lot of the stuff, or percraps I have not listened to them, I still find your reviews to be up to par with many I read in magazines. Heck, I'll go one further and state, they are better than most magazine reviews I have read.

edit: I feel I need to make clear what I find better about your reviews compared to reviews in magazines. You get to the point, dude! You do not go on a tangent like in a lot of these underground magazines we have in Ontario. You review stuff that is not strictly in the mainstream, and yet you don't sound pretentious at all. Though you have some bands I'd consider mainstream, you still make the album out to be like this obscure band nobody has ever heard of; informing us of relations we never knew about before, or at least never gave a second thought to. Kudos on your review style. I hope you continue writing!

Thank you. I'm glad you like them. I'm picking some albums up today. Have any of you ever herd of Immortal Technique?

Yes, I have heard of them, or at least the singer. Or I think I know of him. Is he the rapper that raps about political stuff and mostly about 9/11. If this is the guy I heard of him through a person on Last.FM. They told me that he was in the news for upsetting Bush or something lol. SOmething to do with a song about Bin Laden...I don't know for sure.