I Just Saw a Truly Great Film, I Think I'll Post it Here Thread

Tools    

Everyone is welcome to post but the criteria is this, you have to be REALLY TRULY IMPRESSED , none of that "oh it was pretty good" stuff.

here is mine:
One Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011)

What Impressed me: The cinematography i felt was paying homage to tarkovsky, it was excellent. The flow of the movie is like no other iv'e seen. The search for the body is very "eyes-glued-screen"

There ya go sir

probably a little odd... but I can watch the saw movies all day! I love gory nasty movies like that i posted this here due to just watching saw 3

what impressed me: how sick and twisted the movie is! its amazing that someone actually thinks of this stuff! I LOVE IT!!!!

Everyone is welcome to post but the criteria is this, you have to be REALLY TRULY IMPRESSED , none of that "oh it was pretty good" stuff.

here is mine:
One Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011)

What Impressed me: The cinematography i felt was paying homage to tarkovsky, it was excellent. The flow of the movie is like no other iv'e seen. The search for the body is very "eyes-glued-screen"

There ya go sir
But it aint no Tarkovsky . Actually I was feeling very uninterested throughout the film. The parallel story which was told (about the pregnant lady and her prophetic death) seemed to point to the film's resolute that somethings are best left unexplained. But it aint original idea if you ask me. Again I must insert my recommendation: Memories Of Murder because i cant help but think of the far superior movie. I still give it a
because its the type of film that I dont mind watching simply because its different.

Hey man to each his own, and yes it certainly is no tarkovsky, only the cinematography made me think of tarkovsky.

The Raid: Redemption (Gareth Evans, 2012)

Wow... The martial arts on display over here are so jaw-droppingly realistic and brutal that I could actually feel the impact of every punch and kick. Almost every fight scene is gory and intense. This makes The Hunger Games look silly. This is my new favourite movie of the year!

3 Women (Robert Altman, 1977)

This is the first Robert Altman film I've seen; it won't be the last. I was initially attracted to this movie due to its interesting premise, and the triple comparison people often draw between it, Persona, and Mulholland Drive. 3 Women is one of the best "weird" movies I've ever watched, and it has quite possibly the trippiest dream sequence ever put on film. Shelley Duvall and Sissy Spacek are both excellent in their roles, and the time period is evoked wonderfully. A deliriously surreal psychological drama; the more I think about it, the more I love it.

3 Women (Robert Altman, 1977)

This is the first Robert Altman film I've seen; it won't be the last. I was initially attracted to this movie due to its interesting premise, and the triple comparison people often draw between it, Persona, and Mulholland Drive. 3 Women is one of the best "weird" movies I've ever watched, and it has quite possibly the trippiest dream sequence ever put on film. Shelley Duvall and Sissy Spacek are both excellent in their roles, and the time period is evoked wonderfully. A deliriously surreal psychological drama; the more I think about it, the more I love it.

It's not even remotely similar to 3 Women but if you're into Altman check out MASH next.

It was supposedly inspired by Altman's own dreams after watching Ingmar Bergman's Persona on late night television.
I read about that. Do you know if it's really true that he shot the film without a script?

It's not even remotely similar to 3 Women but if you're into Altman check out MASH next.
I would advise against that. I didnt think it was funny at all. McCabe & Mrs. Miller is what you want.

I would advise against that. I didnt think it was funny at all. McCabe & Mrs. Miller is what you want.
I want to see that, but I do happen to think MASH is a fantastic dark comedy. Not as good as the series it spawned, but still very funny.

^ Yeah. Maybe I'm just weird. There are a lot of people who love MASH a lot, so maybe Hitchfan would love it. I don't know. As for McCabe & Mrs. Miller, I fell in love with its cinematography and how it showed a different side to Westerns other than cowboy hats and Man-without-a-Names.

I am one of the few who disliked MASH.
I also second Mr McCabe & Mrs Miller. It's my favorite Warren Beatty film.

Mostly people start off with Altman by watching either The Player or The Long Goodbye.
& I absolutely love The Long Goodbye, Elliott Gould is terrific as Marlowe.