Indie or Blockbuster flick?

Tools    

I know that neither type of film initiates anything about the quality of the production, but in the most general sense of the question, do you prefer a low key understated indie flick or a blockbuster movie.

Take into consideration tastes in terms of theme, plot, genre, characters.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I'm much more into cult films myself.

Same here dude.

Although films which garner cult following can come from both sides of the coin. I doesn't really indicate a stance in this particular topic.

Twilight and Donnie Darko are good contrasting examples that both reap a cult following.

My dislike of modern day science fiction has me in a sort of safeguard when I'm watching an indie flick. These days blockbuster seems to mean big budget, hyper sci-fi and CGI galore. Makes my head spin.

You said it yourself: neither type of film is instrinsically better. That's gotta be my answer.

The only thing I can say that might be interesting to anyone is that a higher budget film is likely to at least be easy to see and hear, which isn't always the case for lower budget films. If production values are terrible, it's hard to enjoy even well-written, well-acted films.

I also tend to think that, while the studio system is far from perfect when it comes to bringing obscure talent to the fore, it's ground by leaps and bounds with sub-studios (like Fox Searchlight), and a lot more cream probably rises to the top than people think. The superior, lower-budget stuff may not get a big marketing budget behind it, I do think we're more likely to hear about it than ever. This is all a roundabout way of saying that I think the movie system is at least better than random at recognizing talent and quality, and therefore many "blockbuster" movies have something going for them on some level if they've managed to achieve that status.

Granted, sometimes this "something" is a pretty broad, shallow appeal, but the more independent you get, the less filter there is at all.

Semper Fooey
These days Hollywood is co-opting the independent filmmakers and putting them on blockbusters. At the moment because of what Nolan did with Batman they are giving them more creative freedom on them as well. I just read about this with what might be a bizarre selection for the Wolverine sequel. I'll be back and post it.

How Hollywood's franchise sequels have become catnip for top directors

October 6, 2010 | 5:44 pm
According to a variety of Web reports, Darren Aronofsky, the gifted filmmaker behind such indie delights as "The Wrestler" and "Requiem for a Dream," has a tough career decision to make. For his next film, should he direct an original script, "The Gangster Squad," about a secret group of L.A. cops who cut all sorts of corners battling mobsters, or should he do the latest installment in Fox's "X-Men" franchise, "Wolverine 2"?
In the old days of Hollywood--meaning five or 10 years ago--Aronofsky's decision would be easy. He'd direct the original story, which would offer far more artistic heft and creative possibilities than a studio sequel. But in Hollywood circa 2010, the rules when it comes to carving out a filmmaking career have all changed. As it stands, Aronofsky is only circling "Wolverine" because he lost out to Zack Snyder in the director derby for Warners' upcoming franchise reboot, "Superman: Man of Steel." In fact, a surprising number of filmmakers who cut their teeth making personal movies are opting for the studio sequels.
Consider the following. In addition to Aronofsky, who so far is only leaning toward the "Wolverine" project: Brad Bird, who directed the sparklingly original Pixar films "Ratatouille" and "The Incredibles," is over at Paramount, trying to figure out how to make Tom Cruise cool again in "Mission: Impossible 4."
Marc Webb, who did the surprise indie delight "(500) Days of Summer," is at Sony, preparing to make the fourth installment in the studio's "Spider-Man" series.
Paul Weitz, who has directed such oddball, satiric films as "American Dreamz" and "In Good Company," is at Universal, readying the launch this Christmas of "Little Fockers," the third film in studio's long-running comedy franchise.
And Tony Gilroy, who launched his directing career with the cerebral Oscar-nominated drama "Michael Clayton," is also at Universal, having signed on to ramp up "The Bourne Legacy," the fourth film in the studio's successful spy thriller series.
What's going on here? In short, two words: Christopher Nolan. It used to be that you had to choose between street cred or studio moola. But Nolan, thanks to the runaway critical and commercial success of "The Dark Knight" and "Batman Begins," has been able to have his cake and eat it too. If you talk to agents who represent top directors, they all say that Nolan has become the role model for most of their clients, having retained his artistic integrity while still reaping the benefits of seeing his films promoted by a huge studio marketing machine.
So, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. "If these guys think they can make a big studio film without looking like whores or compromising their vision, they are all pretty eager to jump at the chance," says one agent who reps a number of top filmmakers. "The sad truth is that there isn't much of an indie marketplace anymore, so it's not like they have a lot of other places to go. At a studio, you get all sorts of creative resources, you can attract a top cast and still have a surprising amount of freedom."
That's the biggest shift of all. Until recently, studios keep most of their franchises on a tight leash. If you were a filmmaker, you had to serve the material. But especially at Warners, which under Jeff Robinov has become a director-driven studio, and Sony, which has given its filmmakers a lot of artistic leeway, directors are thriving, enjoying little or no studio interference. Insiders assume that Bird only took the "Mission: Impossible 4" job at Paramount after getting assurances from producer J.J. Abrams that he wouldn't end up like John Woo, who got the bum's rush and was unceremoniously locked out of the editing room after shooting "Mission: Impossible II."
It remains to be seen whether Fox, which has a reputation for preferring to work with more malleable filmmakers, will mesh with Aronofsky, who has a reputation for bringing his movies in on budget but fiercely protecting his independence. But everywhere you look, filmmakers have put all those original stories on hold while they see what they can do to breathe new life into aging studio franchises. Whether it's inspired by a new form of careerism or a lack of other compelling choices, a whole generation of gifted directors is now focusing on piloting the jumbo jets of the movie business.
Photo: Darren Aronofsky at a news conference for the film "Black Swan" at the Toronto International Film Festival. Credit: Mike Cassese / Reuters

Bluray Collector!
Recently its been more of the big budget films have bored me and disappointed, whereas the lower budget flicks have been far more entertaining.

Maybe that is due to hype surrounding the bigger budget movies? But I tend to lean towards the bigger budget movies just not being as good as they could've been.

Recently its been more of the big budget films have bored me and disappointed, whereas the lower budget flicks have been far more entertaining.

Maybe that is due to hype surrounding the bigger budget movies? But I tend to lean towards the bigger budget movies just not being as good as they could've been.
In some ways indie flicks can be like a less attractive woman trying harder. (a terrible analogy, but you know what I mean)

It seems the large studio films simply have more smoke and mirrors to throw at their complete and utter lack of substance. CGI and crazy post-production effects really have substituted for quality in my opinion.

Salt vs The disappearance of Alice Creed being the last two films I've seen where I just really enjoyed the indie so much more.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
These days Hollywood is co-opting the independent filmmakers and putting them on blockbusters. At the moment because of what Nolan did with Batman they are giving them more creative freedom on them as well. I just read about this with what might be a bizarre selection for the Wolverine sequel. I'll be back and post it.

How Hollywood's franchise sequels have become catnip for top directors
Nice article will, thanks for sharing.

It looks to me what comes around goes around. The Weinstein brothers got the ball rolling a bit, Kevin Smith gave it a nudge and teh mega success of David Fincher, Chris Nolan and Bryan Singer ushered in a new trend that isn't new at all. its the 70's (and late 60's) maan.

Movie audiences, desensitized to violent imagery by the graphic coverage of the Vietnam War and disgusted by the blatant corruption of political leaders, grew intolerant of the movie pablum of the past. They sought a fresh, raw brand of truth from the silver screen, and young audiences, especially, flocked to small, offbeat pictures that promised something different, radical and real. From the earliest works of the period, like Bonnie & Clyde and The Graduate, to the last, including Jaws and Star Wars, it was clear that this “New Holly*wood” movement was a major departure for the American motion picture industry. No longer would it only be the Hollywood pro*ducers who called the shots. This was the beginning of the reign of the “director as king.”
the above and below are excerpts from an article from 2003, that may have escaped the attention of some of the younger mofo's.
http://www.moviemaker.com/directing/..._america_3228/

For moviemakers Kenneth Bowser, Richard LaGravenese and Ted Demme, the ’70s represented more than just a decade of great movies—it was a time of enormous creativity and risk-taking. It was also a film school crash course and an era of free thinking that today’s directors would be wise to learn from. For Boswer, “these were the films that made me fall in love with movies.” For LaGravenese, they’re part of his childhood memories. “My family would get dressed up to go into the city and see Planet of the Apes… I remember standing with my dad, waiting to get into The Godfather and Serpico. My high school is in the background of The French Connection car chase.”
Now, two new documentaries—Bowser’s Easy Riders, Raging Bulls and Demme and LaGravenese’s A Decade Under the Influence—pay tribute to this explosion in American politics and film.

And at the end of fear, oblivion
I'm more into indie films myself. And because they are so, they're underrated.
"Brick" is one of my favorite indie films.

"Hard Candy" is just brilliant. Shame it's so underrated cus i think is one of the best movies ever and Ellen Page performance in it is outstanding. She should have been nominated for an oscar for it. I think she was better in that movie than in "Juno", although she was still very good in that one of course.

And "Juno", another example of an amazing indie/independent movie.
That one got much more recognition than "Brick" and "Hard Candy".

Put me in your pocket...
I know that neither type of film initiates anything about the quality of the production, but in the most general sense of the question, do you prefer a low key understated indie flick or a blockbuster movie.

Take into consideration tastes in terms of theme, plot, genre, characters.
It's kind of a black or white question. There's alot of gray areas between them...flicks that are neither indie nor blockbuster that I've enjoyed quite a bit and have watched more than once, like Persuasion (1995).

I usually prefer character driven stories, comedies, romance, drama...whatever I'm in the mood for. The fact that a film might be an indie or a blockbuster doesn't really turn my head either way. I just want a great story, great characters, great acting and so on....whether it's indie, a blockbuster or whatever.