David Fincher to Direct Facebook Movie

Tools    

a modern Rashomon that will pin you to your seat.
He compared it to Rashomon. Now I'll see it just to know if he's right.

Bluray Collector!
I'll wait to rent this one. As much as i enjoy Fincher's previous work, I just can't bring myself to see this at the cinema.

I'm suspicious about this reaction. The trailer makes the film look totally average. What could possibly elicit this response?

Hopefully it's not JUST the fact that it's, like, Facebook.

I'm intrigued regardless. It's not everyday something like this comes around... whatever that is...

Really? I thought the trailer was great.

I'm pretty sure that taking away Facebook and swapping in some other generic tech company would completely change the general reaction to this film pre-release. I think everyone heard "Facebook movie" and thought it'd be some kind of weird adaptations that has to create a story that simply involves Facebook, rather than a story about its creation. Like the rumored "Battleship" and "Monopoloy" movies, which are really just going to be standalone movies dressed up in brand names.

The trailer does not suggest something as remarkable as what I am being led to believe this film is. I liked the trailer in general, but I didn't expect anything more than Zodiac level. Can't think of any other reason as of this moment that this is the case other than the Facebook association.

Just my theory at this point.

A modern Rashomon? I really had no interest in seeing this film but with reviews this strong I feel compelled to.
F*cking marketing man.

I think everyone heard "Facebook movie" and thought it'd be some kind of weird adaptations that has to create a story that simply involves Facebook, rather than a story about its creation. Like the rumored "Battleship" and "Monopoloy" movies, which are really just going to be standalone movies dressed up in brand names.
TBH, I heard "Facebook movie" and thought, "Can't we just leave this to the TV Movie of the Week genre it's perfect for?" Obviously with Fincher involved I'd like to think it can be more than that, but I've yet to see anything to the contrary.

I think it looked interesting. Not earth-shattering but entertaining.

I can't find Armond's review, I'm curious. I did notice he gave Lottery Ticket a fresh rating.

Meatwad likes to go all rapid fanboy on certain films for one reason or another.

Honeykid likes to go all rapid haterboy on certain films for one reason or another.

Funny thing is, I'm not going all rapid haterboy on this film. It just sounds like a made for TV, Movie Of The Week. Therefore, I doubt I'll be seeing it in the cinema. It sounds boring to me, but it may well be very interesting.

He compared it to Rashomon. Now I'll see it just to know if he's right.
I saw it. I finally get what they mean by Rashomon, but it only refers to the flashback framing, which... correct me if I'm wrong, is not really unique anymore and could have been said about many films.

Um... it was really good but never impressive in the least. For the most part the cinematography and especially editing (save for the intercutting between the frame and the principle narrative [not new or noteworthy, but it worked well]) was middling, but there was one (maybe two) sequences that were excellent (i.e. rowboat), albeit a little obvious... nearly to the point of cliche. Nevertheless, I did appreciate the way these moments fit into the film. The best part of the film are the characters. You really get attached to each one except maybe Zuckerberg himself. There's a good deal of humor, but the film is, especially for its goofy-sounding subject matter, very serious. But... I wouldn't go as far as to call this the "seedy underbelly" of Facebook. The unethical deeds supposedly committed by Zuckerberg are marginal and highly ambiguous to say the least. Reflecting back, I'm impressed that the film got me to care so much about a pretty tame set of dramas. Similar to Zodiac, Fincher really expands on and amplifies on the audience-supposed idea of drama without coming to melodrama. The film does, however, also try to "explain" Zuckerberg's motivations as well as all internet entrepreneurs, which, too me, comes off as a bit silly, but within the context of the film it works.

I might do a proper review later...

7.5/10

Semper Fooey
I'm impressed when they make a major studio movie these days that isn't just CGI in 3D. But I can't say I care much about the rise of Facebook, which I don't use, and if some people got screwed or not.

As much as I hate to admit it, because I openly bashed this flick when I first heard of it. The trailers have looked pretty decent. I'm hoping a screener pops up before long as I would like to see it.