Is a Terminator 5 even possible? (spoilers for previous installments)

Tools    

Given that John Connor destroyed Skynet in Terminator Salvation, how is Terminator 5 possible?

And the "war with the machines" takes place during a period that's only a few years from now -- so the "distant future" no longer seems so distant and super high-tech. The franchise started in 1984 when "2018" seemed like a long ways away...

It's easily possible. Sequels to movies involving time travel are always possible.

In Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines we saw Judgment Day come and go, only to learn it'd only been delayed by the actions over the previous two films. Things can always resurface.

Also, Skynet was not "destroyed" in Terminator Salvation, anyway; they just destroyed a base of sorts. It's implied this is a tide-turning victory, but Skynet is by no means gone at the end of the film. So even though they could use any number of conceits to keep the franchise going, they don't even have to, in this instance.

You're right... now that I think about it, Skynet has several installations scattered throughout the US. The destruction of "Skynet Central" in Salvation was not the destruction of all of Skynet.

I think a Terminator sequel is possible for eternity... someday there might even ne Terminator 99. & not forget reboots, animated tv series, a new TV series called John Connor: Terminator Hunter.

These guys could just go on & on...

Semper Fooey
The next Terminator is going to go on that Lost island. He has to take out Hurley.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
The next Terminator is going to go on that Lost island. He has to take out Hurley.
It wont be hard

That signature is hilarious and probably true.

And for the record, isn't it a foregone conclusion that there's going to be two more of these? It made enough money didn't it? Yeah, it did, so yeah, its gonna happen.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
From Darkhorizons

Terminator 5 bringing back Sarah Connor

Posted by Jon Peters on Aug 29, 2011 in News

Even though Arnie is doing The Last Stand and director Justin Lin will be doing Fast and Furious 6 next, both for 2013, that hasn’t stopped Lin from discussing his post-Fast film: Terminator 5. In an interview with MovieHole, Lin has expressed keen interest in bringing back Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton), who was killed by a disease in between T2 and Rise of the Machines.
Sarah Connor is such a big part of the franchise, you know. Yeah, I mean I’ve always been surprised how in part 3 she was just like… It was like one line and she was gone. And I think that you know if the right version, if you go back to the thematic drives of the first one especially, I think that’s a way to be able to reengage with that franchise. I think the great thing about this franchise is you have… You can actually have different canons because you have the element of time travel. So, there’s a way of kind of respecting all the works but also able to create a new time line.”

I don't really care for alternate time lines, at least not in the way I imagine he's talking about it. But you know what? The Terminator movies are kind of like the new Indiana Jones movie and any that may follow: even if they're not going to be as great as the older ones, I want to see them anyway. I have an inherent interested in the property and it'll be difficult to get me to the point where I'm actually upset they're making more. I say this even though Terminator Salvation was pretty bad. I actaully regret even giving it that rating.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I'd see more Terminator films, especially if there's Linda Hamilton. I always thought that they should have had The Rock play a new model of Terminator (better able to pass for human), make the Terminator a bad guy again, and go back to how terrifying that first movie was. That said, I really did enjoy the TV series, it was good for however long it lasted.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I would go see another Terminator movie, just because I'm such a fan of the first 2 maybe 3 movies, just like the new Indiana Jones, I might not like it but I would feel weird if I didn't at least give it a shot.

The next Terminator movie is going to be a hit,if it directed by cameron(He is good in making stories too)...By the way...how many of you liked salvation?It's the worst movie in terminator series...

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Salvation was the worst movie of the series, I deffinatly agree. They should throw that in the trash and completely rethink the making of a Terminator 5

We are the Borg. You will see the next Terminator sequel. Even though the series peaked at T2 and should have ended there, you will see it. Resistance is futile. It will have hot CGI robot-on-human action, and will be directed by Michael Bay. You will look upon his work and despair.

Sincerely,

the Borg
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

.. and will be directed by Michael Bay. You will look upon his work and despair.

Sincerely,

the Borg
+ rep for this. Also, I love the fact that The Borg sign off their messages "Sincerely." Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Justin Lin found a way to make Arnold not too old for Terminator

Oct 8, 2011

One of the many issues with Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines was that Arnold was just too old to play the Terminator again. McG was able to include the actor by using CGI to add Arnold’s face from the original film to make him look young. However, Arnold himself will be returning in Terminator 5, but he’s also approaching 65. That won’t be an issue for The Expendables 2 or his role in The Last Stand, but it does make one wonder how much of a role he would have in the next Terminator film.
Well, Justin Lin, who recently dropped the project for The Fast and The Furious 6 (here), has revealed to LA Times he has found a way to make that a non-issue:
“There is a way to do that. I don’t want to give anything away but I have a very clear idea thematically and arc-wise where we can go. Again, it’s been just great to throw that around with James and Arnold. Is time our enemy? Well, there is a ticking clock but anytime anything goes into development — with the state of filmmaking and the way films get made — you’re always fighting for more time. The biggest enemy is rushing things. I don’t think it should be rushed. Creatively, it will come when it comes. Passion is always the currency and it’s the thing that will create momentum. If that’s not there you shouldn’t do it. Obviously, there’s a lot of money involved and with that money the clock is going to keep ticking.”
While he couldn’t give anything away, there’s already ways Anrold’s age can be worked around. If you don’t remember, there was a featurette for Terminator 3 disc that featured Arnold as General that will use his appearance for the Terminator model. That could be expanded upon in this film. But that’s only speculation. One thing we can take from this is that Lin is very passionate about the franchise despite him recently dropping the film. However, there’s still plently of time for him to do the next The Fast and The Furious films, and Terminator 5 before the rights revert back to James Cameron.

Update on T5 for all the fans out there. After writing up my review on how the franchise has become a PG13 hell-hole I decided to do some digging around and found this...

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/termin...ill-be-rated-r

... looks like the project is still having a few problems but at least it's going back to how it should be.

In regards to "How can there be a 5th?".

Well, in storyline terms, Kyle Reese hasn't been sent back to give Sarah Connor a good porking yet. So there has to be a 5th. Maybe even a 6th.