Rental or purcahse?

Tools    

Bad Morther****er
8 1/2 is worth every penny, which is saying something cause I saw it for $30 3 days ago. Elephant Man is good, and worth a few viewings so buy that. Rent Boxcar Bertha(only if you must) it isn't the worst movie ever, but I wouldn't call it good. The Straight Story is worth a rent. I saw it on IFC, it wasn't that impressive but it's worth a viewing. The other 2 I haven't seen, so Holden's most likely the one to wait for.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Of all those mentioned so far, I'd buy Elephant Man and 2046, and maybe Talk to Her. My collection is the Bilderberg Society of DVD's though. Very exclusive.
How about posting that collection sometime?

BTW: I find a subscription to blockbuster.com (supplemented by in store rentals and trips to the theater) gives me ample opportunities to see a lot of movies out of which I can select the ones that I really like to purchase. I have decided to try to only buy movies I have already seen and loved. It is tempting to go for blind buys but I have been disappointed before, so I only go for it if it is a good deal.

Welcome to the human race...
Rentals. I have over 100-odd DVDs in my collection but most of them I could care less about. The last movie I bought was This Is Spinal Tap, because I liked it. I rent, then buy. Wax on, wax off.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Of all those mentioned so far, I'd buy Elephant Man and 2046, and maybe Talk to Her. My collection is the Bilderberg Society of DVD's though. Very exclusive.

I already have 2046, think you misread me. Anyway thanks for everyones input.

Wheely cool bike girl
Originally Posted by The_Butcher
Both films are worth buying IMO.

BTW, didn't coolbreeze have like 10 post 2 days ago?

-TheButcher
I sure did Butcher. I found a lot to respond to and it was a slow day here Der Vaterland (Germany).

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
How bout 8 1/2, Boxcar Bertha, Cronos, Elephant Man, Straight Story, Henry Potrait of a Serial Killer, Thesis?
I definitely agree with Pike about the whole buying vs. renting thing whereas if you're going to rent it I'd probably recommend buying it. Expecially if it is $10 or less because then if you ever thought about rewatching it, then you're saving money. Plus you get to increase your movie collection in the meantime. I would definitely recommend Elephant Man. The other movies are all up to your own personal preference. Chronos I would stay away from just because it is a bit short - - I would recommend Koyaanisqatsi instead by far. 8 1/2 and Boxcar Bertha are classics and probably a good addition if you get a good deal and also if you haven't seen them, you should. Straight Story is a very interesting movie, I'd recommend it for it's unique style. Henry is a very odd film, but if you want to see it, see it, it is very well done, just weird. I haven't seen tesis for a few years and I just remember it having cool imagery. Talk to her is also an interesting film that if you want to see, see it. If you can find any of these for $10 or less I'd say buy it. As for being $20, that is all up to you because renting it is cheaper, and if it's the type of movie you think you'll only watch once than rent it. Like Henry is a movie that you may not want to watch more than once, I don't know though. It's all up to you.

history *is* moralizing
coolbreeze, post more!

Originally Posted by dolarhydecb
I definitely agree with Pike about the whole buying vs. renting thing whereas if you're going to rent it I'd probably recommend buying it. Expecially if it is $10 or less because then if you ever thought about rewatching it, then you're saving money. Plus you get to increase your movie collection in the meantime. I would definitely recommend Elephant Man. The other movies are all up to your own personal preference. Chronos I would stay away from just because it is a bit short - - I would recommend Koyaanisqatsi instead by far. 8 1/2 and Boxcar Bertha are classics and probably a good addition if you get a good deal and also if you haven't seen them, you should. Straight Story is a very interesting movie, I'd recommend it for it's unique style. Henry is a very odd film, but if you want to see it, see it, it is very well done, just weird. I haven't seen tesis for a few years and I just remember it having cool imagery. Talk to her is also an interesting film that if you want to see, see it. If you can find any of these for $10 or less I'd say buy it. As for being $20, that is all up to you because renting it is cheaper, and if it's the type of movie you think you'll only watch once than rent it. Like Henry is a movie that you may not want to watch more than once, I don't know though. It's all up to you.

Cheers chief, except no idea how much $10 is....i'm more into the sterling and all.

Game over man..Game over!
I have Netflix whiich is alot better than going to the video store IMO. I pay $17.99 a month for 3 movies at a time return one get another one. No limit the faster you watch the movie and return it the more you get to watch that month, they have it up to 8 movies for $39.99 a month. No late fees either. I rent if I like I buy. Netflix is the best thing ever invented and they have a great selection. I think Blockbuster is doing it thru the mail too now(Netflix took alot of their buisness).

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by got2envy
I have Netflix whiich is alot better than going to the video store IMO. I pay $17.99 a month for 3 movies at a time return one get another one. No limit the faster you watch the movie and return it the more you get to watch that month, they have it up to 8 movies for $39.99 a month. No late fees either. I rent if I like I buy. Netflix is the best thing ever invented and they have a great selection. I think Blockbuster is doing it thru the mail too now(Netflix took alot of their buisness).
Netflix is good, but every once in awhile it takes them awhile to deliver my movies, and I watch them fast. It's all about what you're looking for, the 17.99 is like $20 for at most 21 movies a month, which is pretty damn hard to pull off, but you can do it. Or if you wanna increase your collection go for the buying, or do both, use netflix for a month and decide which movies you wanna buy, that's what I do.

*** Don't sign up for Blockbuster, their selection is much much smaller even though they are cheaper.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I had both Netflix and Blockbuster for a time. Netflix was FAR superior: greater selection and MUCH MUCH faster about turnaround time. Blockbuster would sometimes take up to a WEEK to get movies to me. Ummm, that's just ridiculous. Netflix had a "branch" here in Pittsburgh so I got movies the next day nearly all the time.

However, in our particular case, even though this system was better than the video store (no late fees!), it still was extra money in addition to our premium channels and therefore not worth it just to get a movie a few weeks sooner than HBO or Starz would play it. I'm rarely in that kind of hurry to see a movie -- and if I am, that means I've seen it in the theater months before anyway.

Wheely cool bike girl
Looks like this thread has turned into a Netflix vs Blockbuster comparison spot but I want to jump in on this. What I want to say is .... Boooo hoooo! I can't use either of them!!! They wont ship to Germany!
Renting here is like 4 Euros per movie. I buy but then I have this darn Regional code thing which means that my PC DVD player is set on Region 2 and all movies I buy here are Region 2. Well, I guess when I get back to the stated I will just have to buy a region free player, right!??

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by coolbreeze
Looks like this thread has turned into a Netflix vs Blockbuster comparison spot but I want to jump in on this. What I want to say is .... Boooo hoooo! I can't use either of them!!! They wont ship to Germany!
Renting here is like 4 Euros per movie. I buy but then I have this darn Regional code thing which means that my PC DVD player is set on Region 2 and all movies I buy here are Region 2. Well, I guess when I get back to the stated I will just have to buy a region free player, right!??
A region free player is definitely a good choice. Most dvds on Region 1 are on Region 2 though, I have actually found that there is a better selection of Region 2 dvds when it comes down to it. Unless you want critereon of course. How much are multi-region player out in Germany anyway? I was actually just looking at getting one because I want the movie Thursday and that is only region 2. I also want the movie Crystal Liquid, which is also region 2.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I used to rent from lovefilm and it was pretty good, less than Ł2 a film (for the amount I watched in a month, anyway!) compared to Ł4 from Blockbuster. I almost always only buy films I have seen. It would cost way too much to buy every film I wanted to see.

I've been buying movies more often, I usually never watch them very much, but I like owning my favourite movies anyway
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case ofbeer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by dolarhydecb
A region free player is definitely a good choice
how can one LIVE without region 3 movies anyway?

Wheely cool bike girl
Region 3 must = Asia? A POX on region codes all together!