A made for TV movie about a Japanese farm family.

Tools    

I'm trying to find a movie that I watched as a teenager. The movie was set on a farm on an island off the coast of Washington state. A Japanese/American family hired a farm hand to work for them. The hand ended up having an affair with the farmer's wife. He entertained the 2 kids by doing such things as listening to a radio station on his comb. I believe this film came out around 1970.

Maybe "Koya no toseinin" (1968) ?
Ken, son of a former samurai settles with his family in the west from Japan. Soon his family is killed in front of him by stagecoach robbers, making him aim to get revenge. Marvin an experienced gunman befriends Ken and becomes his mentor.

Yes, the entire family was Japanese and the hand was white. I don't remember what they grew. As far as a genre, I guess you would call it a drama. Does anyone have any ideas?

No, it's not "Koya no toseinin". The movie I'm thinking of is set in the states. The actors all spoke English.

No, not snow falling on cedars. That was not a made for TV movie and it was released in the 1990, I believe.

Maybe "The Migrants" (1974 TV Movie)?

Other possibility is "Sutoroberi rodo" (1991). It is about Japanese migrants, strawberry farm and coproduction US and Japan. There is American actor and his name is Dennis. I didn't watched, but it is similar.

"Dreams of Glass" (1970) is similar too - a romance between American man and Japanese woman.

Let me know if my suggestions are good, because I will ask my Polish friends about help.

Perhaps it is hidden in IMDB filters and it wasn't too popular.

Thanks wositelec ! Those that you named don't seem to be the one. If your Polish friends could find it that would be great.

Thanks wositelec ! Those that you named don't seem to be the one. If your Polish friends could find it that would be great.
OK. So are you sure that it isn't "Dreams of Glass" (1970) ?
Ann is from a prominent Japanese-American family, owners of a famous nursery and greenhouse. Tom is from a blue-collar family of self-employed fishermen. Tom and Ann develop a playful, loving relationship, despite obstacles their families throw in their way.
If you remember other details, let me know. Other possibility is "The Wash" (1988)
Nobu, an old, bigoted, Japanese-American traditionalist, is unable to reconcile the needs of his wife and two daughters with his own conservative view on life, which forces them to leave him in pursuit of their own happiness.
The Best Bad Thing (1997) is some similar too.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0156022/
Its a good movie depicting the plight of a single parent, Japanese American family during the 30's or 40's , I'm not sure, trying to survive on a cucumber farm. The acting is of a after school special quality but it still works. Hey its a canadian TV movie for kids, not everything has to be Oscar caliber. It still sends some strong messages though . I expected the Rinko character to be more annoying than she was so its OK. LOL I almost didn't recognise George Takei as an immigrant named Mr Yamanaka. He speaks less grandiose than he usually does. After viewing music videos filled scantily clad girls who are drop dead gorgeous and movies jam packed with violence and raunch its relaxing and escapist to fall back on something like this
I found "If Tomorrow Comes" (1971) too, but it isn't , rather.

EDIT:
Other possibility is "The King of Marvin Gardens" (1972).

Thanks wositelec, No it's none of them. I wish I knew the name of one of the actors, then we could find the movie that way. But I don't. The Japanese/American lead female was not one of the more well-known actresses of her time, I'm thinking.

Thanks wositelec, No it's none of them. I wish I knew the name of one of the actors, then we could find the movie that way. But I don't. The Japanese/American lead female was not one of the more well-known actresses of her time, I'm thinking.
OK. Do you remember something more? Every, even the smallest detail could be helpful.
https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?t...ease_date,desc

BTW: I searched ALL TV movies from United States and ALL TV drama movies between 1960 and 1985 - and nothing fits.

Here's my question. Are you 100% certain that the farm family was Japanese-American? Could they have been some other East Asian ethnicity, like Chinese-American or Korean-American?

Also has to be asked: how are you ruling things out? Asking because sometimes people just Google a title and look at an image or two or a synopsis and rule it out on that basis, but that's not always sufficient.

wositelec, the father of the family went on a journey and when he came back he saw that the hand and his wife were having an affair. He sent the hand on his way and hired an older man to help out on the farm. The woman became pregnant by the farm hand. The family had 2 kids, a boy and a girl. They both liked the hand and were sorry to see him go. The movie was narrated by the son, I think I remember. The father was considered by his family members to be harsh and they didn't really like him.

KEVP, I'm pretty sure they were Japanese/Americans.

Yoda, I'm ruling movies out based on my memories of the movie I watched. Some of the suggestions of you and the others either had a plot that was completely wrong or they had a famous actor in the movie that I know wasn't in the one I'm asking about. For example, Jack Nicholson was in one of the suggestions. Patty duke was in another one.

I wonder if there is a data base that contains all made for TV movies. I say " made for TV" because that is where I saw it.

Thanks to everyone for helping me with this endeavor.

Best wishes friends.

I wish I could remember what station it was on, that might help find it. It was either ABC, CBS or NBC.

It means he had a metal comb and he rubbed it across his pants in such a way, causing it to pick up static electricity. They were able to faintly hear a radio broadcast for a few seconds.

From a goggle search

"Picking up a radio signal with a comb might sound like a quirky experiment, but it’s an interesting phenomenon related to electromagnetic waves.

Metals can absorb radio signals to some extent. When a strong radio signal (like an AM station) interacts with metal, it can cause the metal to oscillate.
The oscillation of the metal generates vibrations in the air, which we perceive as sound. Usually, devices like radios or amplifiers have speakers that efficiently convert these radio waves into audible sound. However, even everyday objects with metal components can unintentionally pick up radio signals."

Food for thought.