Do you buy movies you know you wont like? Why?!

Tools    

I just need to know. I have to come clean and admit I bought Embrace Of The Vampire w/Allyssa Milano, and yeah it was for all the wrong reasons. Aside from the cheap carnal side of yourself to view early works of certain actresses do you buy a movie knowing you wont like it? Whats the reasoning cause this isnt a rare trait. Im sure a bunch of movie nuts like ourselves we have a few that do. Do you?

Not on purpose. I own a few films I don't like, but it's usually because they were free (Van Wilder, though I've gotten rid of it since), or I forgot to send back some card (Pearl Harbor). I think there might be one or two I'm lukewarm on, but bought a long time ago when I was 16 or something. Other than that, I don't really buy any films I don't like any more.

One quasi-exception is that if I've ever decent things about a movie and find a copy for just a few bucks at The Exchange or something, I figure I might as well just buy it, rather than wait for it to arrive via Netflix, given the cost. But nothing I really dislike's coming to mind.

I'll glance at my DVDs a bit later and see if I'm forgetting anything.

No, i only buy movies that i have seen several times, i like to be sure of what im getting. But once im sure ill spring a few extra bucks and get the special editions.

I've bought numerous movies over the years that I knew I didn't or wouldn't like too much... stuff like Can't Hardly Wait and American Outlaws ... mainly for teenage cousins who stay with me from time to time...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Absolutely not. For starters, I almost never blind-buy anything (only three times to date). Second, there's oodles of films that I actually do like that I'm probably never going to buy. I'm a little particular about what goes into my collection.

The only time I've ever bought a film I dont like is when the store selling them has an offer on, a 3 for £20 offer for example. I usually can find 2 I really like and want to buy, but the third is invariably trash.

But on other occasions I'm pretty astute with my purchases.

Not 'buy' - but movies I know that will probably not be good - out of curisority I will down load them.

Not 'buy' - but movies I know that will probably not be good - out of curisority I will down load them.
Which basically equals stealing them... if you're that curious, have you ever thought about just renting them?

Which basically equals stealing them... if you're that curious, have you ever thought about just renting them?
glad someone said it!

I buy SF films and many seem to have poor storylines, an even poorer knowledge of science and a tiny budget. It's rare that you get a decent SF film.

A lot of horror films seem to tend towards horrible rather than horror. I've watched slasher films where I've been cheering the killer on, wanting him to kill off all the poorly acting airheads.

I have to admit to having no ability to judge films beforehand and have enjoyed films I never thought I would even like. As I often pay about a pound a time, not too great a loss if a film is bad except that I hate having sat through something for 80-120+ minutes and felt like I have wasted part of my life on it. Critics I do not trust.

Manolo, Shoot That Piece Of Sh*t!
Buh, I hate renting movies, if I rent 'em via digital TV, it costs me €5 to see a movie once, and when I go to the videostore, I pay €3.00 and then it always has so many scratches you get sick of the lags in the middle of the movie, u just stop watching it and you wasted money. We have something like netflix here in Belgium, but I am only 16, and my parents won't purchase an account, so what am I supposed to do? I have a big collection of movies, downloaded, received from friends, some I downloaded myself, I can't afford paying for every movie I want to see. I do have a DVD collection, not very big, like 100-120 DVD's, but I only buy movies when they're less than 2 euros, when a movie is really good, I pay money, but else... no, I bought the dark knight steelbook edition, stuff like that, then I know I get good stuff for my money.

Greets
Spikez

Spikez's DVD Collection

Last Movie Seen: The Breakfast Club

I basically answered this recently in the thread that asked for the "worst" film in your collection, but again, I'm a compulsive collector and completist. As such I must complete a favorite director's filmography, even if there are a few stinkers in there, even knowing I may never really watch them all the way through. Just to have them for reference, and so that my collection will be complete.

So yeah, I've bought plenty of flicks that I don't especially like.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You want to post like me?
Lukewarm Yoda?
Yeah I "buy" movies I know I won't like. Didn't think I was going to like Twilight but I "bought" it anyway and gave it a watch. Ended up liking it some. You gotta watch the movies everyone hate before you can hate them too. Whether you "buy" them or buy them is up to you. There are movies I won't even "buy" though. Every movie where the title ends with Movie for example.

Yeah. Sometimes i just some want mindless entertainment or like others have said, there's some element in the cast or crew that entices me to seeing it just so i can say i have.

....do you buy a movie knowing you wont like it?
Ummm no. It's a waste of money. Usually I buy movies I like, usually common sense for a movie buff like me. If i know I wont like the film i dont see it. LMAO

... You gotta watch the movies everyone hate before you can hate them too...

I write off a great many films before they've even been made. Synopsis, director, cast list. 80%-90% of the time, that's all I need to know whether or not I'll like a film. There are times when a trailer will get me to change my mind, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

Buy? Not too many - A few I guess: however, I have paid good $'s to see a film in theaters that I know would just suck the arse end out of a buffalo, but hey - it was not my turn on movie night, and chick flicks sometimes are like taking one for the team.

Sometimes I buy a bad B movie just to check it out - production wise. Like Roger Corman's Little Shop Of Horrors (1960).

If I find something in my collection I don't want there - I throw it out.

Later, when I can't find it, I say - what did I do with that DVD?

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I've got a few stinkers in my collection, but they are more the ones that I bought because I thought I liked them, but as I revisit them, I find that's not the case anymore.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Making a difference
Buy? No! Rent? Absolutely. And thats when I'm eager to watch an actors performance or few clips from the movie, than the whole film.