African Movies? Your opinion counts

Tools    

Making a difference
Hello guys! I'm quite new here and must include I've been observing members of MOFO and their perspection in what they think is good or relatively bad. I find you guys firm on what you believe and also love it. I'm a Western African, aspiring to set a standard with his movies, perhaps appeal to the world from this small cage. But one or two questions pops into my head knowing a standard movie embodies every ramification, from story to scripting to acting performances to directing and all-what-not.

My question is; if you are to see an African movie, what genre would you find totally refreshing and engaging to watch? Would you prefer to see the crime genre? romance? drama? or a mix of one or too but most importantly which genre? I asked this questions because here in Africa our first target audience are not too deep. Giving them something complex makes you appealing to only few guys, but a good movie ought to sell. Many movies shoot by Hollywood filmmakers about Africa are the problematic movies, thus, showing corruption, war and suffering, which appeals to the westerners not the Africans at large. And most African movies that had attention from Non-African excluding the Carribeans are related to crime.

Every single suggestion/post given means more than anything else. Thanks as you contribute.

Personally I'd like to watch a film that pertained to the history of your area...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'd like to see an honest romance (with comedy and sadness both) which reflected the real-life concerns of two intelligent Nigerians. It would show the strengths and weaknesses of your country and people, but mostly do it with humor and heart in the context of two people who yearn for and find love despite any roadblocks put in their way.

I think those are great ideas. I don't think any one genre would stand out as particularly good, but I think all of them would benefit from incorporating Africa's history. I think they'd all benefit from a very frank, honest assessment of the country's trials and tribulations over the last few decades, as well. This could work in any type of film...except for a comedy, perhaps. Though even that could work if done well.

Making a difference
Mark f, wish I could give you a million thumbs up! won't get tired of clicking it if permitted. You're the best. Much respect Mark, never heard of that before. I'm inspired right now. Thanks a loads.

As you're making the film, my advice would be to make/direct the film you felt most passionately about. In terms of Western appeal, obviously I'd recommend a crime film of some description but, if that's not what you want to do and are prepared to appeal to a niche audience, then I think that romance is the way to go. If it's believable and honest, it'll appeal to any audience, regardless of where in the world they are. Another benefit would be that, a good script with believable characters and good actors, will mean that in order to make your film, you won't need as big a budget as other genres.

Making a difference
Caityln, Mark f, Yoda and Honeykid I am overwhelmed at your responses. I can't find a better way of saying its appreciated, still, I'd say thanks once more.

In regard of the posted by Honeykid, I want to do any kind of movie as long as it would entertain and inspire my viewers. all I need is a magical plot... that is crucial.

I do have a crime genre unexplored story about an African/world wide ailment which I would tend to think is ignored or paid little attention to. And- romance genre? I couldn't boast of any true story mixed with comedy until yesterday... though, still got lots of development on my fresh idea courtesy of Mark's advice.

As for good actors, they are accessible to an extent we have 10 or more of them, whats hard to get is an unsophisticated believeable script. Got recommendation on book to read and I'm on it, though would further to a filming school.

Love you guys. MOFO is the best

Well I don't know what kind of budget you'd be working with. But horror is good because it costs comparatively less and there are a lot of fans the world around who'll seek out a good horror movie if it's good, heck even if it's bad! Unfortunately there are a lot of bad movies in the genre to wade through.
I have to say that I'm personally tired of seeing films focused around the crimes of africans/african americans. They're boring and unentertaining to me too. I'd like to see a slice of life movie that's not about stereotypical africans. But mostly I'd like to see a good fantasy movie starring africans come out too.
Either way, I'd like to wish good luck to another aspiring filmmaker such as yourself. I too hope to see african cinema become more respected (and fun).

Making a difference
MovieCookie, thanks a million for your advice and good luck bid, I'm totally gratified at them. Haven't begun to shot any movie for now, still acquiring knowledge as the passion grows stronger, tighter and older.

I have a sci-fic/horror movie I was writing not to produce but strictly for Eerie horror screenplay competition ( any Horror movie by Africa is perceived as witchcraft/juju/jazz its hardly found quarter as entertaining as that by Hollywood which also appeals to Africans ) but got stucked at some point, don't know why, it just happened.

Moreover, I agree most African crime movies are unentertaining and boring. And exhaustion of telling crime stories in Africa led to that.

My question is; if you are to see an African movie, what genre would you find totally refreshing and engaging to watch? Would you prefer to see the crime genre? romance? drama? or a mix of one or too but most importantly which genre?
This reminds me of an editor who once said to me, "I've got a great graph here--write me a story to go with it."

You're saying, "Tell me what you want to see, and I'll make a movie to match it."

But it's just not done that way. And if you did it that way, the result would be formulaic and predictable and therefore not popular here or there. As for African audiences lacking sophistication, they can't be any worse the pre-teen "mall rats" at whom so many Hollywood films are aimed today.

I would suggest that you look for inspiration to Bollywood instead of Hollywood and how the Indian movie industry evolved to the point that an Indian movie, Slum-dog Millionaire, took the Oscar from several US competitors. I doubt if the people who made that movie set out with the primary goal to satisfy US or European audiences. They just made a damn good movie, and the other markets picked up on it.

Africa is an old continent, the cradle of mankind. All sorts of people of all colors, creeds, and races have participated in its development. Ghandi's civil rights movement started there. The pyramids--the only survivors of the seven wonders of the ancient world--are there. There have been explorers and statesmen, outstanding tribal leaders and bloody dictators, invaders and defenders, developers and exploiters. Nations have risen, nations have fallen, and still vibrant life continues at all levels. Surely there are stories yet to be told from all that history--something unique, unlike anything anywhere else in the world.

The idea is to find an interesting story, write a good script, and then put your heart, your soul, and all your best efforts into making a movie that all people are going to want to see from Africa to India to Europe to the US to Japan.

You've got a hell of a drama going on practically in your front yard. Nigeria is a country rich in national resources, the biggest oil producer on the African continent, seventh largest in the world. It should be the gem of the continent, developing economically, socially and politically. Yet it's boiling with civil unrest. Attacks by millitants on oil facilities in the Niger Delta has shut in 20% of Nigeria's oil production, and driven up the price of crude around the world. Union workers have walked off jobs in protest of government policies. There's good and bad, heroes and villians and plenty of victims on both sides, yet most people in the Western world don't even know what's going on. It could be a good story if told honestly and without favor from Africans' viewpoint

Another story--Liberia. Named and settled by freed slaves "returned" to Africa from the US in the early 19th century. Its capital, Monrovia, was named for our President Monroe. It is the result of a sad and shameful program to rid this country of ex-slaves. A growing abolitionist movement wanted to stamp out slavery in this country. But since most whites north and south believed blacks to be inferior, most didn't want the ex-slaves to remain in the US. Hence, the back to Africa movement that settled hundreds, maybe thousands of ex-slaves in the west coast republic of Liberia--a well-intentioned effort by benevolent bigots. Many of those slaves were born in the US, not Africa, and there was no indication their families were originally from that area. But other Africans did live in the area where these newcomers were settled, and that caused conflicts. The back-to-Africa movement died out, at least among whites, after slaves were emancipated in this country during our Civil War. But some radical blacks here advocated their own back-to-Africa movement in the 1930s.

Liberia originally was supposed to develop into a democratic republic similar to the US, the first black government of its kind anywhere. Unfortunately, it did not turn out so well. It had its own civil war, with Liberians killing Liberians in the streets, in the late 20th century.

Making a difference
Rufnek thanks alot for taking time to make a comprehensive write up on your thoughts about my discussion, though... would I like to state that I was a little bit misunderstood by you here and there for the reason as stated:- I don't and would never aim at appealing to the westerners or Americans alone, I aim at making movies that would appeal to the world because its content is inspiring not just entertaining. A movie that would mean something great even to the next generations to come.

I get inspiration from everywhere, Bollywood as a matter of fact is an industry my respect never unwavers for- there, deeper stories than any industry I can think of are told. Stories with great plot though drag at times. Slumdog Millionaire in totality is not an Indian movie, its story and actors are, not the producers, director of photography, editor and director, and I have seen lots Indian movies I loved and felt should have gone to the Oscars but didn't. What do I know anyway?

Perhaps, Slumdog millionaire's success is one of the reasons I opened this discussion. Another is that when Hollywood producers want to explore African story its the crime genre they have in mind: Sometimes in April, Tears of the Sun, Last king of scotland, Hotel Riwanda just to name a few hits. The first Indian movie (Lagaan) to win an Oscar was daring than other Indian movie which tell us beautiful love stories and exceeds a bit, the only South African movie (Tsoki) to win an Oscar was a crime movie, even Slumdog Millionaire was a highly exposing movie which showed another shade of India.

With successful movie from a third world economical countries relating to crime and history, it was seeming like Americans, Europeans who I admire alot don't care about other Genres from Africa but crime, I had to be sure of my assumption thereby I carried out an analysis test by posting the question knowing and observing MOFO members are true to their stands.

In relationship to the crisis in Nigeria, lots of movies on the stables of Nollywood (without completely stating real facts) have be shot about it. We know to tell the truth but we have our challenges which is very much unknown to you guys at the other end. If I am right, there are certain stories lots of American citizens (like families of men serving US defence and more) would find highly repulsive and also many filmmakers won't want to dare/dive into because of the danger/emotion it may stir... so it is in Africa. Certain stories remind us of rights we would think we've lost as human and won't want see it.

All of the above African stories you suggested are either historical or crime related, don't you think Africans can do more? I sincerely wish they can. As I speak, I am working on a script in crime genre, its not an African ailment alone just telling the story from an African POV.

Despite all said, I totally love and immersely appreciate your stake at this.

I tend to be a fan of cultural/subcultural films as well as a horror fan. I'd like to see something in the vein of superstitions/cultural beliefs woven into a horror film. I don't mean a blood and guts violence type of film as your country certainly sees enough of that. I'm thinking more along the lines of legends/superstitions/stories you tell your kids to make them behave/folklore type of stuff.

I am a big fan of these books

Love to see a series like the Agatha Christie books

Slumdog Millionaire in totality is not an Indian movie, its story and actors are, not the producers, director of photography, editor and director, and I have seen lots Indian movies I loved and felt should have gone to the Oscars but didn't.
OK, so it's not totally an Indian movie. But do you think it would have attracted the big-money producers and other outside talent if not for the successful development of the Bollywood film industry? I still think you in your particular situation can learn more from the developing movie industries in other Third-World countries or post-war Japan and post-war Italy (even post-war Britain, France, and Russia, for that matter) than you can from Hollywood. Those other countries faced more of the problems you now face than has Hollywood in the last 79 years.

A good starting point would be to analyze why you loved certain Indian movies, even though they didn't get Oscar nominations.

. . . when Hollywood producers want to explore African story its the crime genre they have in mind: Sometimes in April, Tears of the Sun, Last king of scotland, Hotel Riwanda just to name a few . . .
Tears of the Sun was just a shoot-em 'up that didn't matter where it was made. It could have had Chuck Norris or Stalone rescuing missing POWs from Vietnam, or it could have been set in South America or Indonesia--anywhere with rainforests and revolutionaries. Don't even need the forest--could have been in a Middle East desert. It's not my idea of an "African" movie. Last King of Scotland is about the relationship between two men from very different backgrounds. One just happens to the bloody dictator of an African nation. It could just as easily have been about the relationship between Russian dictator Joseph Stalin and his projectionist as it happened in one movie some years back.

All of the above African stories you suggested are either historical or crime related, don't you think Africans can do more? I sincerely wish they can. As I speak, I am working on a script in crime genre. . .
Now this is confusing. You ask if I don't think Africans can do more than crime (and I guess, too, historical) stories and then you say you're working on a crime story. Personally, I think I have greater faith in Africans' capabilities than you do.

For instance, I mention the conflict in your own country, and apparently all you see is war story. But there have been many great books and films about romances played out against the backdrop of war. Do you think Gone With the Wind and War and Peace and Dr. Zhivago are just "war stories"? Is Romeo and Juliet a crime story because it's played out against a fatal feud between two families? With all the ethic atrocities involved in Bosnia some years ago, there was still a film about two people on opposite sides who fall in love. Same thing has been done between Protestants and Catholics in Ireland.

Hollywood made a lot of movies about combat during World War II. But it also made films about the home front during the war such as Hail the Conquering Hero, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, The Clock, Since You Went Away, The Best Years of Our Lives, with not one single combat scene in any of them. Mrs. Miniver shows air battles overhead, an escaped Nazi pilot, and fatal attacks on civilians, but 99% of the film is about an English family coping with everyday life against the background of war.

As for the conflict in Nigeria, I can imagine two star-crossed lovers, one a delta native raised in poverty, uneducated but smart and wise in the ways of the world. The other comes from "a good family" likely with political connections, lived in a fine home, had a good education, becomes a technocrat working for one of the oil companies. They meet, fall in love, but they have different loyalties pulling at them as unrest grows and conflicts occur. Can their love survive? Is there a place and time for them somewhere, someday? The story isn't about the war--it's about them! Could just as easily be about a father on one side of the line and a son or daughter on the other. The lovers could be a black African and a white African. Lots of possibilities. It's your country, your society, I'm sure you can think of other possibilities based on your special knowledge and background.

As for Liberia, let me tell you a more modern story related to that--there was an African-American female jazz singer a few years ago (I'm embarassed that I've momentarily forgotten her name, even though she was a favorite of mine, but hey, I'm old) who took a very hardline stand against the prejudice toward and mistreatment of African-Americans in this country. At one point she did a performance tour in Liberia and later wrote about how it felt like "coming home" to be a black person returning to Africa, something like the Jews coming to Israel from other parts of the world. She wrote about the friends she made there and how well she was treated and what a joy Liberia was after the intolerance in America. And then just a couple of years later, there was a revolution in Liberia and many of this singer's friends were tied to trees and shot or hacked to death in the streets. But before you dismiss this as just another war story, let me make this point: I suspect many of the African-Americans born and raised in the US have unrealistic expectations of an African "homeland." I suspect you may have witnessed yourself that black Americans don't know any more about Africa and Africans than white Americans. And I think there's a story in it. It doesn't have to be that bloody--could be a romance, could be a screwball comedy, could be a "ugly American" tale where misguided good intentions lead to tragedy.

I can also think of a possible plot pertaining to South Africa, but likely could be adapted to any Afican country. An interracial couple fall in love and face all sorts of hell in a white-dominated apartheid type of country. But then there's a transition. The white government steps down, a black government takes over. Do things get better for the interracial lovers? Do they get worse? Is there any change at all? What would they have to go through to adapt to first one set of circumstances and then a complete change? Does their love get stronger from the struggle, or do they break up? What do you think?

Mostly, I think you should quit worrying about what sells in the West and concentrate more on what story appeals to you. The best advice to any writer is write what you know. An interesting story is going to remain interesting across social and ethnic lines. Have faith in your ability to develop the story you want to tell.

PS, the jazz singer whose name I couldn't recall earlier? Nina Simone--one hell of a singer!