Examples of good CGI

Tools    

Well I don't know no one mentioned Transformers, it's not just that I like it but let's face it it's outstanding the robots look very real(very)

but lately anyone willing to spend some serious cash could get a descent CGI although Spider-man 3 with its 250 mil is not that impressive at all I believe Transformers beats him to that

Well I don't know no one mentioned Transformers, it's not just that I like it but let's face it it's outstanding the robots look very real(very)

Agreed with that. I was very impressed with the CGI in this film. Did you know that Bruce Almighty had a bigger budget than this film?! This film was actually made for a small sum..at least by summer blockbuster standards.

I would also like to give a shout out to the CGI in all Matrix films.

The opening scene of X2 with Nightcrawler crashing the white house had outstanding CGI.

Wasn't too impressed with the CGI in the matrix films. The second movies fight scene against the 100 Agents made the live action film look like it turned into the animatrix it did not blend with reality well. As well as the stupid slow motion CGI bunch Neo gives Smith in the climax of the third film.

The first MAtrix broke some barriers special effects wise but the second and third got a little too over board with it at the expensive of the film.

Agree with the 2 and 3rd matrix films, everything was fine until the cgi fight with the agents, really out of place an could have been done better.

The Incredible Hulk? Have not seen this movie since the theaters but I recall the cgi being better than the first Hulk

My movie blog

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Agreed with that. I was very impressed with the CGI in [Transformers]. Did you know that Bruce Almighty had a bigger budget than this film?! This film was actually made for a small sum..at least by summer blockbuster standards.
Not terribly important but Bruce Almighty's budget was $81 mil, and Transformers' was $150 mil.

There are those who call me...Tim.
Did you know that Bruce Almighty had a bigger budget than this film?!
You're probably thinking of Evan Almighty, which cost $175 million.

Has anyone said Davey Jones yet? I've kind of skim read this thread...

You're probably thinking of Evan Almighty, which cost $175 million.

Has anyone said Davey Jones yet? I've kind of skim read this thread...

Yeah Ash thanks for correcting. I did mean Evan Almighty. That had a bigger budget than Transformers. Can't believe that.

Pixar have always pleased us with amazing CGI no doubt but probably my all time favorite would be Finding Nemo the CGI there was unbelievable I even remember watching some making video where the first screening they did was not approved because the CGI was too realistic and they wanted to make a childrens movie so I think pixar can always do better than what we see

I know there are actually a lot of good, full cgi, animated movies, (thanks pixar). I actually liked BOTH "final fantasy" movies, even if the first is forgotten. It's funny, I'm a huge transformers fan and own the movie, but have never watched it, I'm unhappy about some of the lame bot designs. A lot of people mention the "LOTR" movies and I think those "epic" fight scenes are usually improvements over the mayhem of old, old epics. I actually remember "the abyss" and didn't think the cgi was bad, even though it was one of the earliest attempts. And that "snakes on a plane" joke wasn't funny, I could of actually rented that

Pixar have always pleased us with amazing CGI no doubt but probably my all time favorite would be Finding Nemo the CGI there was unbelievable I even remember watching some making video where the first screening they did was not approved because the CGI was too realistic and they wanted to make a childrens movie so I think pixar can always do better than what we see
They all look grand , but I think they made a giant leap in lighting and detail with Ratatouille and then Wall-E looked just as good - now Up is looking to continue this.

CGI is one of the last things I really think about when watching/considering a film; I guess it just isn't a factor in many of the films I watch. I will say, though, that I found Transformers to be a very ugly and muddled film visually.

A system of cells interlinked
I think LotR strikes a good balance between live action and CGI, especially with the brilliant move of using live animals mixed in with CGI during the battle scenes to give it a more life-like feel.

For the most part, though, CGI is pretty low on my list of priorities.

And as Chimp said, Pixar pretty much owns the CGI animated field at this point...

Making a difference
Lord of the rings is my best pick. King Kong was also good.

King Kong