Ferguson MO

Tools    

Saw this on Facebook. Really love it when someone doesn't pretend to have all the answers and provides some perspective. Even if you find the last part too "preachy" I think anyone can appreciate the rest:

Benjamin Watson
At some point while I was playing or preparing to play Monday Night Football, the news broke about the Ferguson Decision. After trying to figure out how I felt, I decided to write it down. Here are my thoughts:

I'M ANGRY because the stories of injustice that have been passed down for generations seem to be continuing before our very eyes.

I'M FRUSTRATED, because pop culture, music and movies glorify these types of police citizen altercations and promote an invincible attitude that continues to get young men killed in real life, away from safety movie sets and music studios.

I'M FEARFUL because in the back of my mind I know that although I'm a law abiding citizen I could still be looked upon as a "threat" to those who don't know me. So I will continue to have to go the extra mile to earn the benefit of the doubt.

I'M EMBARRASSED because the looting, violent protests, and law breaking only confirm, and in the minds of many, validate, the stereotypes and thus the inferior treatment.

I'M SAD, because another young life was lost from his family, the racial divide has widened, a community is in shambles, accusations, insensitivity hurt and hatred are boiling over, and we may never know the truth about what happened that day.

I'M SYMPATHETIC, because I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what happened. Maybe Darren Wilson acted within his rights and duty as an officer of the law and killed Michael Brown in self defense like any of us would in the circumstance. Now he has to fear the backlash against himself and his loved ones when he was only doing his job. What a horrible thing to endure. OR maybe he provoked Michael and ignited the series of events that led to him eventually murdering the young man to prove a point.

I'M OFFENDED, because of the insulting comments I've seen that are not only insensitive but dismissive to the painful experiences of others.

I'M CONFUSED, because I don't know why it's so hard to obey a policeman. You will not win!!! And I don't know why some policeman abuse their power. Power is a responsibility, not a weapon to brandish and lord over the populace.

I'M INTROSPECTIVE, because sometimes I want to take "our" side without looking at the facts in situations like these. Sometimes I feel like it's us against them. Sometimes I'm just as prejudiced as people I point fingers at. And that's not right. How can I look at white skin and make assumptions but not want assumptions made about me? That's not right.

I'M HOPELESS, because I've lived long enough to expect things like this to continue to happen. I'm not surprised and at some point my little children are going to inherit the weight of being a minority and all that it entails.

I'M HOPEFUL, because I know that while we still have race issues in America, we enjoy a much different normal than those of our parents and grandparents. I see it in my personal relationships with teammates, friends and mentors. And it's a beautiful thing.

I'M ENCOURAGED, because ultimately the problem is not a SKIN problem, it is a SIN problem. SIN is the reason we rebel against authority. SIN is the reason we abuse our authority. SIN is the reason we are racist, prejudiced and lie to cover for our own. SIN is the reason we riot, loot and burn. BUT I'M ENCOURAGED because God has provided a solution for sin through the his son Jesus and with it, a transformed heart and mind. One that's capable of looking past the outward and seeing what's truly important in every human being. The cure for the Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice and Eric Garner tragedies is not education or exposure. It's the Gospel. So, finally, I'M ENCOURAGED because the Gospel gives mankind hope.
PREACH!

First off, I cannot believe this thread didn't blow the hell up! Have I found the only group of people on the internet who aren't crazy about what's doing in Ferguson?

Anyway, here's some pictures in case you all doubted my proximity to the chaos. I was visiting my dad tonight and thought I grab a few pictures. Sorry they're all from inside car vantage but I had my kids with me and I was too hungry to stop.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1233.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	18713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1234.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	18714   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1235.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	18715   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1236.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	18716   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1237.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	18717  

More.

These are all down New Florissant road. This is where the city hall and police station are located but, most of the damage is on West Florissant. Even now, 4 days removed, no one can drive that stretch of West Florissant...
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1238.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	18718   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1239.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	18719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1241.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	18720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1242.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	18721  

First off, I cannot believe this thread didn't blow the hell up! Have I found the only group of people on the internet who aren't crazy about what's doing in Ferguson?

Anyway, here's some pictures in case you all doubted my proximity to the chaos. I was visiting my dad tonight and thought I grab a few pictures. Sorry they're all from inside car vantage but I had my kids with me and I was too hungry to stop.
I'm pretty sure people come here to get away from things like Ferguson discussions.

Having trouble figuring out how burning down unrelated businesses is a way to express outrage with the judicial system. But then, I'm a little slow.

Not that it's not bad, but personally when something like this happens, I think back to other instances of this type, like the LA riots. The violence in this case seems to pale in comparison to some of these past incidents. When I was watching the live stream, I saw white people walking around without any problem. Again, not that it's not bad, but there's been worse after championship games. I think people are getting numb to this sort of thing.

Doesn't look that bad, really.
This is the street that survived. Most of the damage was elsewhere. I'd have gladly taken pictures of it but they still have it closed to vehicles.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Is this really about Ferguson alone or is it about the way blacks are treated by law enforcement across the US? I'm white and have never been arrested but I despise the police. I have seen so many injustices at the hands of the police that I can't even begin to imagine how black people must feel. Racism is always going to exist, but law enforcement as a profession have the most backward, black and white views of human nature. I have never met a progressive police officer in my life.
How many have you gotten to know? I'm sitting in a room with one of the best men I have ever known and he's a police officer. You can be both.

How many have you gotten to know? I'm sitting in a room with one of the best men I have ever known and he's a police officer. You can be both.
I'm sure there are wonderful people in every profession. I worked in journalism in the early 90s and had a chance to meet and work with a ton of cops in Niagara Falls, Canada. It was frightening what I saw. The amount of abuse cops are privy to would make your head swim, but they ALL protect one another like you wouldn't believe. Ask your friend about it and I would be surprised if he didn't agree with me. Here's how it works: As a cop, you are generally hated or at least distrusted by the public making it difficult to make friends outside the force. This leads most cops to keep their friends and their social lives within the force. If you see abuse by other officers and you rat on them, even other good cops will no longer support you and you become completely isolated both personally and professionally. Most cops have wives who also end up in this little blue bubble. Nobody wants to be close with a cop's wife so they tend to stick together also. If you rat out another cop, there is a good chance your wife will get the cold shoulder from her friends and she's not going to be happy with you for helping to lose her friends. It's very much like a gang or the mafia, a complaint I heard dozens of times while working with them. What makes this particularly egregious is that a lot of bullies/sociopaths are attracted to law enforcement and so a lot of good people cover for really sick individuals. It's peer pressure gone mad.

For those of us not directly affected by these incidents, I'm afraid (much like US mass shootings) these tragedies are almost at a 'dog bites man' level rather than 'man bites dog'.

A couple of years ago I was going to start a thread and just make a post every time I heard of a shooting but, not only did I think it wouldn't go down well, I feared I get bored doing it.

I'm sure there are wonderful people in every profession. I worked in journalism in the early 90s and had a chance to meet and work with a ton of cops in Niagara Falls, Canada. It was frightening what I saw. The amount of abuse cops are privy to would make your head swim, but they ALL protect one another like you wouldn't believe. Ask your friend about it and I would be surprised if he didn't agree with me. Here's how it works: As a cop, you are generally hated or at least distrusted by the public making it difficult to make friends outside the force. This leads most cops to keep their friends and their social lives within the force. If you see abuse by other officers and you rat on them, even other good cops will no longer support you and you become completely isolated both personally and professionally. Most cops have wives who also end up in this little blue bubble. Nobody wants to be close with a cop's wife so they tend to stick together also. If you rat out another cop, there is a good chance your wife will get the cold shoulder from her friends and she's not going to be happy with you for helping to lose her friends. It's very much like a gang or the mafia, a complaint I heard dozens of times while working with them. What makes this particularly egregious is that a lot of bullies/sociopaths are attracted to law enforcement and so a lot of good people cover for really sick individuals. It's peer pressure gone mad.
You watch way too damn many movies.

Of the half dozen or so cops that I know, and have known for over a decade, literally zero of this is true.

The police precinct my wife worked for was just like every other workplace I've ever experienced. There were clicks and work place politics. Some guys who took their job seriously got passed over for promotion because they weren't kissing boss ass enough. Some people work harder than others. Some people are good people trying to make a difference, some are guys just doing their job well enough to not get fired. None of them, not a single one, would cover for another guy because they felt pressure to do so.

In about 2004 one of my wife's co-workers was accused of a crime. Now, many of her co-workers really liked the guy and they were convinced that he hadn't done it. Not because they are police officers, but because they legitimately believed he was innocent. My wife and our friend who still works there to this day knew he was guilty and would have had no problem testifying against him. They were never questioned about it so they didn't have to, but literally everything you posted about is not true about their police station. Through our mutual friend, I know a St. Louis county cop and he is exactly the same. This covering up nonsense you're making up in your head only happens they same way it happens in real life; between friends or people who are too much in denial to believe something bad about someone they like.

Bottom line, not only are you full of crap about this, but you have zero evidence to support your assertions, either personal or otherwise.

Yeah Modine, my ex-wife was a social worker and worked very closely with the police in my town. I have gotten to know many of them and been around their families. I would say your experience seems very out of the norm to me.

I think there is some truth to what Modine says, but it's to the extreme negative side. What you call a mafia or a gang, could also be called a team, which sounds a little better. You get from the police what you put into them. I actually crack up when I hear a protester cry about being roughed up; stop messing with traffic and go home! You also hear about people who claim abuse, and then you come to find out an officer was questioning them, and they refused to show id. No need to be so bullheaded-just cooperate. If you want trouble from the police, it's easy to find. If you don't want trouble from the police, it's easy to avoid.

Let the night air cool you off
Since cricket touched on some of the things in this video, I'll post it. It's applicable not just to black people like Chris Rock says, but to everyone.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I don't have kids, but I wonder how some would feel if it was there son who was killed...

What I don't like is the group herd mentality.. If you're not white, you're automatically for the officers, and if you're black, you have to be against the officer? I don't mind if that's the outcome, only if you've really, really done you're reading, and favor the truth over your ego.

If you want the truth of how people think, go to a yahoo message board.. I never saw so much hate. And someone mentioned the 12-year old who got shot and killed (toy gun), everyone said how he deserved it. You can have an opinion without it being mired in hate.

You see Matt, like JJ said previously, Brown didn't deserve to die, but he wasn't shot because he was black. He was shot because of the position he put himself in. Look up on YouTube; there's plenty of police violence against whites. It shouldn't be a racial issue. This incident should be about justifiable force against people, of all kinds. The system is not perfect, and never will be, but if you don't have faith in the system, then move, shut up, or stay out of trouble. The 12 year old boy obviously didn't deserve it either, but there's not the same outcry because the actions are understandable, and it's on video.