Music based on/inspired by Movies

Tools    

I thought it'd be nice to have a place to list music that has elements, like soundbites or special effects, of movies in it, or in some otherway was inspired by a movie.

Probably a lot of those will be stuff like dance music I guess. I know a couple of Drum and Bass tunes that use soundbites from movies:

Teebee - The Force
Uses quite some Star Wars sfx, lightsaber sound and blaster-cannons if I'm correct, a little bit of Darth Vader's heavy breathing is a must ofourse. And in the middle of the song you the drop is introduced by "Riiiisseee" from the trailer for Star Wars III, and sounds awesome
Marv's second guessing himself from Sin City
I got some more, but I have to run now, will post them when I get back after this weekend.

You're a Genius all the time
It's not based on the movie or anything, but Chumbawamba's Tubthumping samples a nice little bit of Pete Postlethwaite in Brassed Off:

"Truth is, I thought it mattered. I thought that music mattered. But does it? All bollocks! Not compared to how people matter."

Brassed Off, by the way, is an underrated flick that more people should check out. Great performances all around, cool soundtrack and (in a refreshing change of pace) Ewan McGregor's penis doesn't make a single appearance. A little light and generic, maybe. Definitely a been-there-done-that feeling to the whole story (band has to win contest to save small town), but it's pretty fun.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
"The Union Forever" by The White Stripes is composed of lines from Citizen Kane--including the party song for Charles:
It can't be love
for there is no true love
It can't be love

Sure I'm C.F.K.
but you gotta love me
the cost no man can say
but you gotta love me

Well I'm sorry but I'm not
interested in gold mines, oil wells, shipping or real estate
what would I liked to have been?
everything you hate

cause It can't be love
It can't be love

There is a man
a certain man
and for the poor you may be sure
that he'll do all he can
who is this one?
who's favourite son?
just by his action has the traction
magnets on the run
who likes to smoke
enjoys a joke
and wouldn't get a bit
upset if he were really broke
with wealth and fame
he's still the same
I'll bet you five you're not alive
If you don't know his name

You said the union forever
You said the union forever
You cried the union forever
but that was untrue girl

cause It can't be love
It can't be love

You're a Genius all the time
My absolute favorite song that bases its roots in film is Space Oddity. Besides being a metaphor for a bad trip, the song is pretty much 2001: A Space Odyssey as told by David Bowie. He even steals the name. That whole album, while somewhat flawed, has gotta be Bowie's most underrated and one of his best in my opinion. A few more tracks are, in one way or another, heavily influenced by Kubrick's film. Not a full-on concept album like The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust or Diamond Dogs (which is Bowie's strange love letter to Orwell's 1984), it's still hard to listen to it without recalling 2001.

I thought it'd be nice to have a place to list music that has elements, like soundbites or special effects, of movies in it, or in some otherway was inspired by a movie.
Well, this isn't what you had in mind but your proposal reminded me of way back when Lulu (I can see most of this forum asking, "Lulu who?" No, not the big gal on Hee-Haw!) was at least as familar a recording artist as, say, Madonna or Jewel or any of the one-name songstresses known today, there was a lot of bitching and moaning among DJs and fans because her big single of "For Sir, With Love" was not nominated for an Academy Award the year that the film by the same name (and in which Lulu appeared to sing her hit) was released. A lot of us film fans spent a lot of time calling up pop stations to explain that the song was not created expressly for that film and therefore didn't qualify for an Oscar nomination.

Some years earlier, however, Frankie Laine put two movie theme songs on the pop charts (low positions but there nonetheless): 3:10 to Yuma and Gunfight at the OK Corral. He later got even more spins from a TV Western theme--Rawhide.

Some years earlier, however, Frankie Laine put two movie theme songs on the pop charts (low positions but there nonetheless): 3:10 to Yuma and Gunfight at the OK Corral. He later got even more spins from a TV Western theme--Rawhide.
Frankie Lane sang the theme to High Noon, did he not?

Originally Posted by gohansrage
Frankie [Laine] sang the theme to High Noon, did he not?
Not.

That was John Ritter's poppa, Tex Ritter.

But Frankie Laine did sing the title song in Mel Brooks' raucous Western parody, Blazing Saddles.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Not.

But Frankie Laine did sing the title song in Mel Brooks' raucous Western parody, Blazing Saddles.
I love the theme to High Noon, and the track I downloaded (don't tell the FCC) had Frankie Lane listed as the singer. Stupid unreliable internet.

Thank you Mr Holden.

Frankie Lane sang the theme to High Noon, did he not?
He recorded and had a hit with it, but I believe that the song--if sung in the film at all--was sung by Tex Ritter (John Ritter's daddy). (I remember last seeing the film some time back and hearing the instrumental music played in the background but I can't remember hearing it actually sung.) Vaughn Monroe also recorded it; he also had a deep voice like Ritter and I sometimes confuse which of the two sang what for what film.

The Sons of the Pioneers (one of the later versions of the group that had "Festus" in it) sang the theme of The Searchers in the opening and closing credits and had a recording of it that used to play on pop stations back at that time.

Not.

I always thought it ironic that, after many years as a singing cowboy in B-Westerns, Tex is best remembered for singing the theme song of a Western in which he didn't even appear. (That's assuming that one didn't prefer Jack O'Diamonds/Rye Whiskey over High Noon!)

Neil Diamond's "Heartlight" was inspired by Spielberg's E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial. But it had no official link to the film, Neil just liked the movie. Or he liked the movie and also thought it might be prudent to write something that could possibly cash-in on the sentiment and popularity of one of the biggest movies of all time?

"Turn on your heartlight
Let it shine wherever you go
Let it make a happy glow
For all the world to see
Turn on your heartlight
In the middle of a young boy's dream
Don't wake me up too soon
Gonna take a ride across the moon
You and me
Turn on your heartlight now
Turn on your heartlight now..."

The opening lines of Al Stewart's 1976 hit "Year of the Cat" references a couple of cinematic icons, though not a specific movie. For the record (if not the album), Bogie and Lorre were in five films together, most famously Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon but also Passage to Marseille, Beat the Devil and All Through the Night.

"On a morning from a Bogart movie
In a country where they turn back time
You go strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorre
Contemplating a crime..."

Similarly, one-hit wonder Bertie Higgins went for the Bogart thing in his 1982 song "Key Largo", which actually references more than just the 1948 John Huston movie Key Largo starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall but also Casablanca with the lines "Here's lookin' at you, Kid" and "Play it again", which of course didn't have anything to do with Ms. Bacall.

"Wrapped around each other
Trying so hard to stay warm
That first cold winter together
Lying in each others arms
Watching those old movies
Falling in love so desperately
Honey, I was your hero
And you were my leading lady

We had it all
Just like Bogie and Bacall
Starring in our old late, late show
Sailing away to Key Largo

Here's lookin' at you kid
Missing all the things we did
We can find it once again, I know
Just like they did in Key Largo

Honey, can't you remember
We played all the parts
That sweet scene of surrender
When you gave me your heart
Please say you will
Play it again
'Cause I love you still
Baby, this can't be the end"

If I remember correctly, The Clansman by Iron Maiden was inspired by Braveheart...

rufnek, I actually know who Lulu is... my Mum's a fan... of To Sir With Love... and Year of the Cat by Al Stewart - good call Holden...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

And The Kinks' "Celluloid Heroes" doesn't reference any single movie but talks about a handful of stars from Hollywood yesteryears...

"Everybody's a dreamer and everybody's a star
and everybody's in movies, it doesn't matter who you are
There are stars in every city
in every house and on every street
and if you walk down Hollywood Boulevard
Their names are written in concrete

Don't step on Greta Garbo as you walk down the boulevard
She looks so weak and fragile that's why she tried to be so hard
But they turned her into a princess
And they sat her on a throne
But she turned her back on stardom
Because she wanted to be alone

You can see all the stars as you walk down Hollywood Boulevard
Some that you recognize some that you've hardly even heard of
People who worked and suffered and struggled for fame
Some who succeeded and some who suffered in vain
Rudolph Valentino looks very much alive
And he looks up ladies dresses as they sadly pass him by
Avoid stepping on Bela Lugosi
'cause hes liable to turn and bite
But stand close by Bette Davis
Because hers was such a lonely life
If you covered him with garbage
George Sanders would still have style
And if you stamped on Mickey Rooney
He would still turn round and smile
But please don't tread on dearest Marilyn
'cause shes not very tough
She should have been made of iron or steel
But she was only made of flesh and blood

You can see all the stars as you walk down Hollywood Boulevard,
Some that you recognize, some that you've hardly even heard of

Everybody's a dreamer and everybody's a star
And everybody's in show biz, it doesn't matter who you are

And those who are successful
Be always on your guard
Success walks hand in hand with failure
Along Hollywood Boulevard

I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
A fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
And celluloid heroes never really die.

You can see all the stars as you walk along Hollywood Boulevard,
Some that you recognize, some that you've hardly even heard of

Oh celluloid heroes never feel any pain
Oh celluloid heroes never really die

I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
A fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
And celluloid heroes never really die"

Certifiably troglodytic.

While not directly connected to a movie per se, Kim Carnes' single, "Bette Davis Eyes," (written by Donna Weiss and Jackie DeShannon in 1971), won 2 Grammys for Song of the Year and Record of the Year in 1982, probably introducing a whole generation of pubescent Gen-Xers to the icon.

Davis was reportedly favorable toward the song, who had to share the lyrical light with Greta Garbo, who is also referenced:

And she'll tease you
She'll unease you
All the better just to please you
She's precocious and she knows just
What it takes to make a pro blush

She got Greta Garbo stand off sighs
She's got Bette Davis eyes

Welcome to the human race...
I wonder if you'd say Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon was influenced by The Wizard of Oz...