Cloverfield

→ in
Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Oh, speaking of batteries -- When you get a phone battery like that off the shelf, don't they tell you to fully charge it for a day first? Or would it have still had enough juice in it off the shelf to last as long as it did?

I'm skeptical ... although I found the basic idea clever and very believable in a "what would I do?" sort of way.

Just came back from seeing it in the theater and it was awesome. I pretty much agree with your review Yoda. Nice work on the research MovieMaker, it all makes sense pretty much. Been looking around the internet to find more clues as well, and I'm pretty convinced that

WARNING: "monster(s)?" spoilers below
there really is just 1 monster. In this interview Matt Reeves, the director, talks about animals eyes widening so they seem all white and how they wanted to make the monster white, so I guess after that bombing by the B2 it turned all white because it was scared out of it's mind. Later on in central park it is back to it's regular colour. Just a thought

Also, I'd be surprised if there won't be a se/pre/parallel-quel to this, it's doing good business and there are tons of ways to go from to make something as good as this first movie. So kinda looking forward to that, but for now I'm going to enjoy the after-buzz

Reading that interview, the director comes out and says that yes, there IS something in that last Coney Island shot. Now I want to see it again. (sigh)

It was great reading that interview and catching his excitement at seeing how the marketing got away from them last summer. His eagerness is contagious even just in print! Thanks for the link.

CORRECTION: The bit about a renamed Central Park. It's now called "Incident Site U.S. 447."

Is it just me, or does that kinda sound like there are multiple incidents/sites, with this one being numbered 447?

Also, reading the above interview, did anyone else get the idea from the movie alone (and not from reading interviews) that the creature was either (a) a baby or (b) scared?

One (sort of) issue with the movie though; the camcorder they used... I want to know where I can get one of those! The abuse it took was pretty impressive, but beyond that, what the heck kind of batteries was it using? Unless I'm way off, which is possible since I don't own a camcorder myself, there is no way the batteries could have lasted all that time...
I'd also like to now where to buy this camera, not only does it last long, but the image and sound quality is incredible! There is no way that a handheld camera can record the sounds of the movie in such a high quality way, especially not the low bass sounds of the explosions, roars and what not.

But ofcourse the whole overwhelming effect of the movie would have suffered if they actually had used a handheld camera and after I realized it I still wasn't annoyed by it or anything, the movie just sucked me in way too much

My life isn't written very well.
I like this Noob!

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

I hadn't thought of the quality issue. LOL! I like this noob too.

I DID notice at one point that the date (May 22) and timestamp were no longer at the bottom of the screen. I'm sure that was to get rid of the distractions they would have caused seeing them throughout the movie like that ...

But I noticed it was missing nonetheless.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
WARNING: "Cloverfield" spoilers below

I'm sure J.J. Abrams has said that the monster was a baby discovering itself and the world upon the "attack".

Sure there are more sites, Central Park is one, I'm sure other parts of New York would be re-named.

Suspect's Reviews

Beware The Probe!
I don't understand why people are making such a big deal out of the battery life of the camera.
Is an hour and 24 minutes really a long time for camera batteries now in this day and age?
That's how long the footage we were watching from the Department of Defence. 1hr24mins. The full length of the movie.
They didn't skip ahead or fast-forward anything we saw it all. They only had the thing running for an hour and a half.

Speaking of the defence departments footage...

LOL.
Dharma Initiative symbol from Lost stamped on to the start of the 'tape'.

Plus the fact that Abrams uses Slusho on Alias make it funny how all his projects seem to be existing in the same world.

As for the Coney Island shot near the end, it supposedly showed a satellite falling into the water which according to viral marketing was somehow the cause of the whole monster mess.

I found the scene on YouTube but it was totally too blurry to make anything out.

Not making a huge deal about the battery -- but if they were using the camera's light in the subway tunnel, that would eat the battery faster, even if they weren't recording the whole time. (Using the light and not recording, I mean.)

Minor point, just one of those things you notice sometimes.

TUS, I'm not sure I understand your spoiler about the baby. I just read the director's comments in that interview link posted above. He mentions the baby part.

Beware The Probe!
Here's a link to a site that's supposed to explain all the viral marketing stuff...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.s...59073680a6d56f

I haven't had time to go through all of it myself but it looks interesting so far.

Here's a link to a site that's supposed to explain all the viral marketing stuff...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.s...59073680a6d56f

I haven't had time to go through all of it myself but it looks interesting so far.

Speaking of the defence departments footage...

LOL.
Dharma Initiative symbol from Lost stamped on to the start of the 'tape'.

Plus the fact that Abrams uses Slusho on Alias make it funny how all his projects seem to be existing in the same world.

I am getting to be a real Cloverfield fanatic. Reading up on the film. With all these clues and background info one can put together with the film, it gets more interesting by the moment.

Beware The Probe!
I am getting to be a real Cloverfield fanatic. Reading up on the film. With all these clues and background info one can put together with the film, it gets more interesting by the moment.
I think JJ Abrams is the kind of person who likes sneaking little 'easter eggs' and viral marketing into all his projects to get people to think.

I'm actually really curious now how Abrams is going to deal with the new Trek movie.
Since he likes adding his little gimmicks to everything he does, it makes me wonder if we'll see a Starfleet Assignment Patch in the shape of the Dharma Initiative or Slusho being dispensed in the food synthisizers.

surely it'll be synthoSlusho Yeah, would be fun too see that, as long as he doesn't overdo it, Slusho would be too much. Star Trek still very much is a universe on it's own, I don't think there should be added too much from other 'worlds', but if he puts in easter eggs that refer to Star Trek itself, that would be really cool for the fans. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Lost or Alias at all, so I didn't pick up on those hints. I did notice however the very subtle Nokia productplacement, anyone else noticed this?

I also find it very striking how Adams portrays and relies on the modern day techincal culture. The people filming the head of the Statue of Liberty seconds after it came crashing down the street is hilarious. And to a greater extend of that, the fact that Hud feels a need to document everything, even when he is totally within the carnage. And finally, the fact that the clue at the end of the credits is backwards; he must have assumed that the movie was going to get bootlegged so that we would be able to reverse it.

Speaking of that, why was that last whisper backwards at all? Just to confound people for a while? Or is there an in-story reason for it?

Just to confound people for a while? Or is there an in-story reason for it?
Yes & yes...

I always said that if you combine geeks with mystery you get geeky mystery, which imo is so totally cool.

I've watched its movie trailer and I find it good thats why I will watch it this weekend..,