65.00%
13 votes
Frank Capra
35.00%
7 votes
Hayao Miyazaki
20 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
I would rather have not nominated Miyasaki at all than have to feel the pain of reading all the posts bashing his 'cartoons' that have way more heart than most movies these days

And to make you all feel better i watched Arsenic and Old Lace just for this thread but i still love Miyasaki more

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I, for one, will never badmouth a director of animation. I believe their job is certainly as legit as any other director's. I also have liked every Miyazaki I've seen. It's just that I loved Capra long before I even knew who Miyazaki was, and Capra is certainly as universal as Miyazaki is, even if you don't realize how personal he is. (Capra adapted Arsenic and Old Lace, a stageplay, in 1942, with the stipulation that it wouldn't be released until 1944, long after the play had become ultra-popular, so it doesn't quite qualify as a full-fledged Capra flick, no matter how fun it is.) For those who don't realize it, Capra volunteered during WWII and made a series of stunning war documentaries, which even if some will call them propaganda, proved that Capra cared more about his country than his career.

I'm the opposite Mark, i've loved every Capra i've seen, granted it was only Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (which i really loved a lot) and Arsenic and Old Lace but i grew up watching My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Mononoke and yeah i looove Miyasaki's movies since childhood which definitely influenced my vote...

well the other one was favorite characters so i'm assuming this one is favorite directors

Ack, just pick the director you want to see advance to the next round, this isn't rocket surgery or anything.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Welcome to the human race...
I was torn. I've seen about three films by each director, and while Miyazaki's films trump Capra's in terms of visual flair and interesting narrative, I've quite simply found Capra's more enjoyable to watch.