When caffeine has unintended consequences

Tools    

Has anyone ever experienced certain unusual or unintended consequences stemming from the ingestion of caffeine?

I'm going to share an example here, but before I do, please know it might be slightly TMI for some of you (I'm just guessing here, I could be wrong).

If you don't want to read anything that could be TMI for you, this is your chance to stop now, turn around, and go to some other thread

Ok, here it goes.

While caffeine has always been known to have a diuretic effect, something that I did recently seems to have greatly increased the diuretic effect it has on me. I can be OK so long as I keep it pretty low - by which I mean, under 100mg of caffeine a day (usually what a single cup of coffee has).

If I go over that, the diuretic effect of the caffeine can start to become overwhelming. Like, enough to make it so that I can't sit through a whole movie (something I would not have difficulty with under normal circumstances - even for long movies like Killers of the Flower Moon).

This may not appear to be movie-related, but it is! I really don't enjoy having to get up in the middle of a movie, all the more so if I'm watching it in a theater. And, like I said, under most circumstances, it really isn't a problem.

The caveat is that I really have to make sure I haven't had too much caffeine in the last 2 or 3 days prior to the movie.

The last time I failed to take the proper precautions, I had to take a quick break from the movie within an hour after it started - it was quite annoying to me.

What's most puzzling is that I really don't remember having had this problem before. I was, at times, pretty liberal about my use of caffeine, by which I mean it probably wouldn't have been unusual to have 3 or even 4 cups a day.

Who else has had this happen to them and been forced to curtail their caffeine intake?

I periodically quit caffeine cold turkey. It does ruin my sleep, causes me to take bathroom breaks during the movies. I also take a blood pressure med that is also a diuretic and if I'm not careful I can become quite dehydrate to the point of being loopy and exhausted. I'm exhausted today because after 2 weeks of no caffeine I started having some in the morning which causes me not to sleep, which causes me to have more caffeine, and sleep even worse. It's time for me to go cold turkey again.

It's time for me to go cold turkey again.
Good luck!

How old are you? You may be experiencing a change in your tolerance. As I aged, I began to need to change my diet. At this point in time, I have lactose intolerance, & carbs make me sleepy

How old are you? You may be experiencing a change in your tolerance. As I aged, I began to need to change my diet. At this point in time, I have lactose intolerance, & carbs make me sleepy
Do you mean me or the OP?

You may be experiencing a change in your tolerance.
This is certainly a possibility I have considered. However, I've looked around to see if this is typical, and I can't seem to find reliable information about how common a change in caffeine tolerance would be, at any age.

Also, does a change in tolerance levels always mean a permanent change? Or could it be, at least in some cases, a temporary change? If it is temporary, what factors (other than caffeine itself) might play a part?

So while that does appear to be one possible explanation, it's still just a wild guess, I suppose, as long as I don't find any studies or other type of data that might corroborate whether or not this could be tolerance-related or age-related (or both)

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Coffee doesn't quite take the place of heaters, but it's close.

I had to read this for my high school chemistry class: https://www.amazon.com/Caffeinated-D.../dp/0142181803

Notable for its unintentionally funny descriptions of absolute idiots managing to literally kill themselves with caffine.
That sounds interesting, I'll be getting a copy from the local library

I pretty much have completely cut out caffeine. I used to be a ten to twelve cup a day coffee drinker but I hit an age where it just gave me uncontrollable shakes and a hard crash. Only drink decaf now - lottsa cream, lottsa sugar. The only times I have caffeine in any significant amount anymore is when visiting my Ma. Then I'll have about three/four cans of Diet Coke, depending on how long I'm staying and start leaking every fifteen minutes, which is kind sucky because I live about a half hour away. Makes the ride home antsy. When at a theater I always grab a tub of popcorn and a soda which means I'll be visiting the restroom before the film is over. Guaranteed. It's part of going to the movies now.

I'm 48 hours off the caffeine band wagon. Anyway I slept great last night and didn't have to get up to visit the bathroom...Went right to sleep and didn't toss and turn...and was able to wake up earlier too.

When at a theater I always grab a tub of popcorn and a soda which means I'll be visiting the restroom before the film is over. Guaranteed. It's part of going to the movies now.
You do know some theaters have caffeine-free soda, right?

I'm 48 hours off the caffeine band wagon. Anyway I slept great last night and didn't have to get up to visit the bathroom...Went right to sleep and didn't toss and turn...and was able to wake up earlier too.
Whoops, I just cheated! I had a single shot of white coffee.