No More Disney Fairy Tales

Tools    

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
i think a great deal of the fairy tale stories might be worth adapting, if put into the right hands. a lot of the fairy tales that have been adapted have been mutated and condensed and watered down so much that they barely resemble the piece of work they originally sprung from, anyhow.

Thats a good thing.

Have you read the original fairy tales lately? It would be akin to children 200 years from now being read Stephen King Novella at nap time.

a lot of the fairy tales that have been adapted have been mutated and condensed and watered down so much that they barely resemble the piece of work they originally sprung from, anyhow.
True, but that's what the Grimm Brothers did with many of the original folk stories, so I guess it's in keeping with the telling and re-telling of them.

They will

Can't we at least give kids some moment of innocence?

Dafna Lemish, chairwoman of the radio and TV department at Southern Illinois University and an expert in the role of media in children's lives, has an idea of what appeals to young girls these days and it’s not being a princess. Lemish believes girls these days are more drawn to Disney Channel's Selena Gomez and Nickelodeon's Miranda Cosgrove.

"By the time they're 5 or 6, they're not interested in being princesses," Lemish told the LA Times. “They're interested in being hot, in being cool. Clearly, they see this is what society values."
Is this really what we want our daughters to believe? My daughter is 9, and I'm glad that she still wants to be a princess. I don't want her to think she has to look or act a certain way to be cool and accepted, I just want her to be who she is and be happy.
Sounds more to me like that's what Disney values and in turn wants their consumers to value. And since when did princesses stop being hot and cool? Aren't they almost always depicted as young and beautiful? Doesn't living the royalty life in a magical realm sound cool? Maybe more theme park ride movies are needed.