All about the upcoming Live Action Musical Hall of Fame

Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I don't think I've heard Rex Everhart. Is he as good as Howard Da Silva?
Rex Everhart was his understudy. He is fine, I think. I can listen to the album whenever I want to. So, I guess I am used to him. But as far as seeing an actual performance as Franklin, I have no opinion on that except to say that I think it would be awfully hard to live up to Da Silva. He is so perfect as Benjamin Franklin.

You were going to choose 1776 too SilentVamp? Three people had it as their choices and I never heard of it, maybe I should get out of the house more often.
You have no idea what you are in for with this movie. It is so good. It really is. And the real highlight (at least I think so) is William Daniels as John Adams. His performance is priceless!

My apologies, Vamp.
(Oh my, I've been such a disturbing element since I got here. )

But I do compliment your good taste!!!
That is OK. And thanks. I will gladly welcome your compliment as I know your taste is as good as mine.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I think it is funny, though, because I think it was posted earlier that maybe everyone would nominate the same movie. Whoever would've thought it would've been "1776"?!

Hey, you're right. I think it was Ðèstîñy who posted that earlier. My mother taught me that if you think something bad might happen, you shouldn't mention it out loud because it can cause it to happen, kind of like a karma thing, (like you're not supposed to talk about the no hitter in baseball), so it must be Ðèstîñy's fault that we all want to nominate the same movie.

I was a little afraid that someone else would consider it, but I just kept thinking that there were so many other musicals that maybe, just maybe, nobody else would even think about that one. I suppose it is my own ignorance only because I know so very few people - beyond my family - who has even heard of this movie.

Yeah, I know. I really have to think about all of the backups now. You would think with 9 more films on a list it shouldn't be too hard to decide on one of them!

I think it is funny, though, because I think it was posted earlier that maybe everyone would nominate the same movie. Whoever would've thought it would've been "1776"?!
Well... July 4th IS fast approaching! Prime time of year for a re-viewing of '76! Possibly why it was so quick to jump into a few people's minds.

(That's also a hint to Rules - there's no better time to watch it than on or around Independence Day!)

If Captain is in then I will be watching it. I'm looking forward to it too.

Oh...your guy's nominations are not secret, so you can mention them here on this thread, then you're musical choice will be yours. Or you can PM me your nomination.

I will choose my nomination last, so that way I don't pick something somebody else had in mind. That's what I did in the Film Noir HOF and Sci-Fi HOF.

Catch ya all later, good night.

Personally, gb, I never saw Rex Everhart's performance (only heard it on the recording). But like you, after seeing the movie, Howard Da Silva will always be the only Ben Franklin for me. And when you hear Everhart's voice in the songs, it's distinctly different. I was a little disappointed those many years ago when I got home with the CD and found I'd purchased a Broadway cast recording and that Da Silva wasn't on it.

But it's one of those things where we see Da Silva was OUR first and only Ben Franklin. If it had been reversed (and Everhart was our first Ben Franklin) we would probably feel let down if he was replaced by anyone else.

Still... everyone is great in the movie, but Da Silva's Franklin really steals the show!!!

Yeah, I see what you're saying. It's like watching a remake of a movie before seeing the original, and not being able to understand why everyone else thinks that the original is better.

Well... July 4th IS fast approaching! Prime time of year for a re-viewing of '76! Possibly why it was so quick to jump into a few people's minds.

(That's also a hint to Rules - there's no better time to watch it than on or around Independence Day!)

Turner Classic Movies usually airs 1776 every July 4th, along with Yankee Doodle Dandy with James Cagney. I watch both of those movies every year on July 4th.

If Captain is in then I will be watching it. I'm looking forward to it too.

Oh...your guy's nominations are not secret, so you can mention them here on this thread, then you're musical choice will be yours. Or you can PM me your nomination.

I will choose my nomination last, so that way I don't pick something somebody else had in mind. That's what I did in the Film Noir HOF and Sci-Fi HOF.

Catch ya all later, good night.

I thought I had time to narrow down my list, but now I have to choose fast or someone else could pick my choice.

Wait, maybe that could help narrow down my list and make it easier to pick a movie to nominate.

Good Night

I'm glad you asked. I love the Blues Brothers, but its not a musical but more a movie with music. So it would not qualify.
I don't think anybody would try to nominate that since it's already in a HoF, but that's a tough one. Besides musical numbers from Calloway, Hooker, and The Blues Brothers, you do have the sudden musical style performances from Brown, Charles, and Franklin. Plus, unlike many other musicals, music is a central theme of the story.

Is there going to be a second specific HoF going alongside this?

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken

Actually, I just really love this movie and I wanted others to see it, too.

Turner Classic Movies usually airs 1776 every July 4th, along with Yankee Doodle Dandy with James Cagney. I watch both of those movies every year on July 4th.
Yeah, I was going to mention this, also. I figured that in case someone shouldn't have a chance to obtain the film, TCM would be showing it. I, too, will be watching these that day. It is definitely an annual thing for me.

Firstly, yep CitRules, I initially mentioned that Eddie and the Cruisers isn't a true musical, yet instead a movie about music . . . and a lot of other cool things. You should really watch it, but not for this.

You were going to choose 1776 too SilentVamp? Three people had it as their choices and I never heard of it, maybe I should get out of the house more often.
Hey, you're right. I think it was Ðèstîñy who posted that earlier. My mother taught me that if you think something bad might happen, you shouldn't mention it out loud because it can cause it to happen, kind of like a karma thing, (like you're not supposed to talk about the no hitter in baseball), so it must be Ðèstîñy's fault that we all want to nominate the same movie.
Ahha! My plan worked!

. . . or it could just be what he said!

I wanted to add this to the discussion on rules. I just don't see why we bother pming them in, and all that. Half the fun, is picking them out, and discussing it. You know I'm right!

Wait, maybe that could help narrow down my list and make it easier to pick a movie to nominate.
This right here is what made me think about my last comment. It helps in two ways, honestly. One, we can weed through all the choices a lot better, nail our selection before someone else gets it, or at least know we missed out, with plenty of time to dwell on another choice. Two, there's always a two . . . Don't hate me for bringing this back up . . . When I first joined, a few people kept asking me, and reminding me on how I need to know I want to be in these Hall of Fames. I kept getting told that I best not have people watching The Thing, and then bailing. Anyway, picture this . . . You really believe you want to be a part of the Hall of Fame, and then here we are, a lot of us picking out movies you just know you don't want to watch. You will have a good week or so to decide that, now won't you!?! It's just a thought.

I'm tempted to join, but I'll wait for the western HOF
You booby! Join in, my dear Raul!

Is there going to be a second specific HoF going alongside this?
Hopefully, and if we're lucky, bloody scenes will be a big part of it.

Don't hate me for bringing this back up . . . When I first joined, a few people kept asking me, and reminding me on how I need to know I want to be in these Hall of Fames. I kept getting told that I best not have people watching The Thing, and then bailing. Anyway, picture this . . . You really believe you want to be a part of the Hall of Fame, and then here we are, a lot of us picking out movies you just know you don't want to watch. You will have a good week or so to decide that, now won't you!?! It's just a thought.

As much I knew that The Thing wasn't going to be my kind of movie, I never even once thought about bailing from the HoF.

For me, the whole point of these HoFs is not only to get other people to watch a movie that I love, but also to watch movies that I wouldn't have chosen to watch on my own. If I bailed every time someone nominated a movie that I didn't think I'd like, I probably wouldn't finish any of these HoFs.

And there have been several movies that I didn't think I would like that surprised me. They'll probably never make my favorites list, but they were good movies.

For me to bail on a HoF based on a movie that I've never seen, someone would have to nominate a movie like Arachnophobia.

For me to bail on a HoF based on a movie that I've never seen, someone would have to nominate a movie like Arachnophobia.
That's why I started the tradition of not keeping secret the movies that are nominated for the HOF. I think a person should have the right to know what they are about to watch before joining an HOF.

All the other HOFS have kept the movies secret until after you've joined and the actual HOF starts. That's the persons running the HOF choice. My choice is that the movies will be posted before the HOF starts.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I like keeping it a secret, but I also like the idea of knowing ahead of time. I think for musicals it would be best to know ahead of time as it is a small crowd of fans of the genre.

Raul you should join!

Yea, a lot of people like the 'secret reveal' as it's fun for them, I can understand that. For me personally, I haven't join any hofs except the ones I ran because I was concerned I would be committing to watching something I couldn't watch.

But like I said it's up to the individual running each of the Hofs on how they do it. I do think some experimentation is good and makes for fun and for a learning experience too.

I have a couple new ideas for this Hof that I've not done before. I hope they work OK.

So...how much time do you guys need to decide on your nominations? No rush. I just want to know when I should be making the actual Musical HOF thread.

I have my short list ready, so I can make a spur of the moment decision whenever you're ready to start.

Yeah, that was my point, too. Well, hopefully there's not a bunch of foreign gore musicals out there.

p.s. I love that movie, and I love spiders.

I suppose I am ready, whenever. I'm curious about your new ideas.