Movies You Hate

Tools    

Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
I hate basically every Sylvester Stallone except for maybe Cop Land.

I'm not a big Stallone fan but I love Oscar...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Welcome to the human race...
Movies I hate...

Once Upon a Time in China: Sorry, but if you need to spend more time on the story of a martial-arts movie then it usually means that the action bites balls. People don't want martial-arts movies for the story! Not even Jet Li could make this movie cool.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico: Same as above, except replace "martial-arts" with "gunfighting" and "jet li" with "Johnny Depp"

I'm coming back to this.

EDIT

Dazed & Confused: I tend to like movies that are pointless (case in point: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Eraserhead) but this one was stupid. Considering the fact that I don't have a 70s party mentality I didn't like it. Everything people like about the movie, I hate about it. Soundtrack, lines, overall...sorry but I hate it.

EDIT 2

Lost in Translation: again, another pointless-in-a-bad-way movie.

There are only 2 movies i've seen in the last couple of years that i hate, not just dislike, but actually makes be angry when i recollect viewing them:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: I really do like Tim Burton's movies, and the original wasn't bad, but this just angered me so much. And it was only because of those stupid idiot Oompa Loompas. The sets and CG were good, Depp was really good and the kids were no where near as bad as i expected. But those inane songs just killed the film, and it kept on doing so. I hated the songs themselves, the way they were performed and especially how Deep Roy would mouth to lines which had totally different depths and tones, i think it would have been OK is he had sung them himself, but it was just SO stupid.

Elektra: I was really looking forward to this, i loved Daredevil, and the basic premise is awesome. Sadly this movie fell prey to the "we need to get the lowest rating possible so more people will see it, so we'll make more money", so all the good violence was edited out. The movie starts allright, but as soon as that annoying stupid little girl was introduced the movie went downhill at a pace so rapid few people saw it. She can't act to save her life, and the character she plays is so insanely bad. The part where she's hiding in the bushes watching Garner getting beat up and exclaims "Elektra!" after strict instruction to STAY QUIT was the tip of the iceberg. I mean, how could anyone be so stupid? Anybody without some kind of mental illness would realise that by shouting the bad guys would know where they were hiding. I did force myself to watch the rest of it, and as it came to it's climax, and the girl goes down i thought "right, there's a very slim chance that the girl is dead, even though there's a 99.99% chance she'll live, but if by some divine miracle she has in fact died, then i'll forgive this movie." But sadly, it wasn't meant to be.

Movies from this past year that I hated were:
Bewitched
Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
The Dukes Of Hazard
Constantine
The Longest Yard

Originally Posted by the-jumpin-bean
Movies from this past year that I hated were:
Bewitched
Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
The Dukes Of Hazard
Constantine
The Longest Yard
Are you freakin kidding me? The Dukes of Hazard is going to sweep all award ceremonies.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Iroquois
Movies I hate...

Once Upon a Time in China: Sorry, but if you need to spend more time on the story of a martial-arts movie then it usually means that the action bites balls. People don't want martial-arts movies for the story! Not even Jet Li could make this movie cool.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico: Same as above, except replace "martial-arts" with "gunfighting" and "jet li" with "Johnny Depp"

I'm coming back to this.

EDIT

Dazed & Confused: I tend to like movies that are pointless (case in point: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Eraserhead) but this one was stupid. Considering the fact that I don't have a 70s party mentality I didn't like it. Everything people like about the movie, I hate about it. Soundtrack, lines, overall...sorry but I hate it.

EDIT 2

Lost in Translation: again, another pointless-in-a-bad-way movie.
I watch plenty of martial arts movies for the story, and some have a damn good story at that. Hero comes to mind, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is another.... Hero had great acting, some beautiful martial arts, amazing photography, and although it's clearly derivative of Rashomon, a well done screenplay. Unleashed was another iflm that had a pretty decently told story, as well as great fights. How about Unleashed? Unleashed has some flaws, to be sure, but the fights aren't one of them.

Also, Eraserhead, pointless? How so? The film is full of allegory, the whole is film is societal allegory. Adultry, technology, God, Guilt.... many themes run throughout the film, as far as I can tell... In typical Lynch fashion, it is encased in bizarre, dreamlike scenario, but that is what makes it great!

Fear and Loathing - Listen to the line about the wave; the film (book) is trying to say something about the era, and this line illustrates it wonderfully. I didn't find it pointless. I think Mr. Gilliam did a fantastic job of letting the viewer in on what it must have been like to be Hunter S.

Lost in Translation was clearly not pointless, either. Ever been to a strange place, all alone, with no connection to what is familiar?

@Sedai...

My favourite martial-arts film of all-time has to be Enter the Dragon - a movie with a paper-thin plot and emphasis on actual kung-fu action - none of this wires and CGI waffle. I watch martial-arts movies for the action - if the action isn't up to chop, what are the odds the rest of the movie is?

And when I defined "Eraserhead" and "Fear and Loathing" as pointless movies, I meant in a superficial way - like when I was watching them, my mum would come in, watch for a couple of minutes or something and say, "is there a point?". I'm aware of the subtexts in both, but these are movies that, to most of the square community, lacking in conventional film qualities such as plot and obvious messages. And that's why I like them.

As for Lost in Translation - well, it just didn't seem like my cup of tea. If I wanted to watch two lost souls blunder around a strange neon-lit city, I'd watch Fear and Loathing.

I still stand by the fact that Dazed & Confused was a stupid movie with no redeeming qualities.

In the Beginning...
And when I defined "Eraserhead" and "Fear and Loathing" as pointless movies, I meant in a superficial way - like when I was watching them, my mum would come in, watch for a couple of minutes or something and say, "is there a point?". I'm aware of the subtexts in both, but these are movies that, to most of the square community, lacking in conventional film qualities such as plot and obvious messages.
Which is why it always bothered me that people think films have to be straightforward and shallow. I mean, how could someone get the point of any film if they only sat down and watched a couple minutes?

As for Lost in Translation - well, it just didn't seem like my cup of tea. If I wanted to watch two lost souls blunder around a strange neon-lit city, I'd watch Fear and Loathing.
Alot of people I know didn't enjoy Lost in Translation, as it is somewhat difficult to access. You just have to watch it a different way. The story isn't in the dialogue, like most films - it's in the space between. Pay close attention to that space - the silence, the way characters act and interact when not speaking, what they're thinking about, who they are, what's going on in their life. It really is an interactive experience that you have to lend yourself to. As they say, you have to give to receive.

The "give to receive" mentality applies more to videogames than anything else. Ever enjoyed a game that you sucked at playing?

In the Beginning...
The "give to receive" mentality applies more to videogames than anything else. Ever enjoyed a game that you sucked at playing?
Once I figured out how to play it right, and then got better.

(My comments weren't directed entirely to you anyway. I know it isn't your kind of film, as you said, and I get the impression that you understood the film just fine. I was just sharing how one might watch the film differently, and get more out of it. But you're right: some films just aren't for everyone.)

Originally Posted by Sedai
I watch plenty of martial arts movies for the story, and some have a damn good story at that. Hero comes to mind, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is another.... Hero had great acting, some beautiful martial arts, amazing photography, and although it's clearly derivative of Rashomon, a well done screenplay. Unleashed was another iflm that had a pretty decently told story, as well as great fights. How about Unleashed? Unleashed has some flaws, to be sure, but the fights aren't one of them.
You should see Once Upon a Time in China if you haven't already, it's got a better story than any of the ones you mentioned, some really beautiful scenes (the bit where Rosamund Kwan manipulates Jet Li's shadow is one of the high points of cinema), and if you don't mind the heavy wire-choreography Iroquois complains about, they do some fantastic stuff with a room-full of ladders towards the end.

And, I'll take the Sammo/Lau Kar Leung fight in Pedicab Driver (or about a billion other Kung-fu movies for that matter) over all the fights in all the movies Bruce Lee made combined. Lee may well deserve the savant-mystic sifu image he created, but he didn't really have it when it came to making fighting into a cinematic art. Heck, I even find the b-grade tribute/parody flick, 'Enter the fat Dragon' more exciting than that Bruce flick.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Movies that i hated:

Red Dragon. Disturbing violence and sadism as entertainment? I'll pass. This film made me feel guilty for watching it. Like wallowing in a sewer for 2 hours.

Underworld. I just couldn't enjoy this unimaginative, poorly written film, even though I know a lot of people who did. I need more than gun fights and leather outfits to make me enjoy a movie.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Please Turn Off Your Cell Phones
i absolutely hated into the blue! the plot was just terrible itself! but the only reason i watch it was cause of ms alba

How odd, because the only reason that nearly stopped me watching Sin City was also Ms. Alba.
Jessica Alba was the only good thing about Sin City, IMO!

Well, that's like your opinion, man.

And Maude Lebowski almost killed The Big Lebowski for me. Fortunately the rest of the movie was so great that I came back to it. Man, she was annoying.

Originally Posted by darkhorse
Jessica Alba was the only good thing about Sin City, IMO!
I agree. Except I thought Alba wasn't good.

I am half agony, half hope.
Eye Wide Shut. That's three hours I'll never get back, and man, am I pissed about it!

Johann von Goethe

I just saw another movie last night that I hate for being so sh*te - Violent Cop.

It stars Takeshi Kitano as some hardnut cop who's trying to take down someone or other - but who cares? You don't feel sorry for the characters at all, the story is cliched and Takeshi plays a plain stereotyped bad-cop. Most of the movie is typical cop fare that seems a hollow copy of Dirty Harry. The only highlight was the climax in the warehouse - up until then it's plain unexciting.

Takeshi you bastard! I'll get you for this!

The People's Republic of Clogher
I just saw another movie last night that I hate for being so sh*te - Violent Cop.
Takes all sorts, I guess.

While being nowhere near his best, I feel that Violent Cop is an important movie. For starters he was thrown into the project after the original director left and, being his first chance behind the camera, some things look a bit disjointed.

He's superb in the role though and all the building blocks are there for his later, more lauded films - long periods of calm, almost static, perfectly constructed shots punctuated by sudden violence.

I know Kitano's style isn't for everyone but have you seen any more of his films?