Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Zulu (1964)
I didn't finish watching it. I found it boring.
Are you serious? The tension was palpable. I was watching it at the edge of my seat.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I forgot the opening line.

By The poster art can or could be obtained from http://www.impawards.com/2005/three_burials_ver2.html., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=22624847

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada - (2005)

I'd seen this a couple of times before - but I'm never not in the mood to see Three Burials, it's a classic neo-western that looks at friendships and relationship several different ways, along with that most tested of borders - the Mexico/U.S. one. Nobody is who they think they are in this - not even the noble Pete Perkins (Tommy Lee Jones), whose crusade to uphold a promise to friend Melquiades Estrada (Julio Cedillo) leads to him kidnapping the man who shot and killed him, Border Patroller Mike Norton (Barry Pepper). Melissa Leo, who as waitress Rachel isn't a large part of the plot, still sticks in the memory by making the most of the scenes she's in. All of the characters learn something, and the ending is ever so poignant, but not at all sappy or too melodramatic. It's just right. Everything in this is just right. Pepper isn't afraid to show his ugly side, and lets loose in a performance that feels a little overlooked because the character he's playing is such a snot. Tommy Lee Jones should have perhaps been a director after all.

9/10

By MoviePosterDB.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28927123

The Company Men - (2010)

For people who earn 200k upwards, The Company Men is actually a horror film - but for most of us it's a film where we're meant to feel sorry for rich people having to downsize their lives a little. Sell the Porsche and get a Kia, and we're meant to have tears in our eyes - never mind that most people are simply struggling to survive at all these days. Most people are lucky to have a job involving manual labor. Still - for these guys it does feel that dramatic. Not being able to pay next years dues at the big exclusive golf and country club feels like a genuine emergency and crisis. During 2008 we had a whole class of people who were contemplating suicide despite still being able to afford food, clothes and a home. I guess if I say one thing in this film's favor, it's the fact that it shows us this from their point of view.

5/10

By Derived from a digital capture (photo/scan) of the Film Poster (creator of this digital version is irrelevant as the copyright in all equivalent images is still held by the same party). Copyright held by the film company or the artist. Claimed as fair use regardless., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=30855722

The Happy Ending - (1969)

Mary (Jean Simmons) has just found out that marriage isn't the eternal bliss that was promised in all those books and movies - just add a lot of booze to that equation and you've got The Happy Ending. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
By The poster art can or could be obtained from http://www.impawards.com/2005/three_burials_ver2.html., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=22624847

By Derived from a digital capture (photo/scan) of the Film Poster (creator of this digital version is irrelevant as the copyright in all equivalent images is still held by the same party). Copyright held by the film company or the artist. Claimed as fair use regardless., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=30855722

The Happy Ending - (1969)

Mary (Jean Simmons) has just found out that marriage isn't the eternal bliss that was promised in all those books and movies - just add a lot of booze to that equation and you've got The Happy Ending. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

6/10

Interesting and glad you saw this.. It reminds me of a scene from "Minnie and Moskowitz", and how the movie sets you up for a life that doesn't exist. I remember thinking the movie hit a lull in the middle, around the time she was "flexing" by spending a ton of money on clothing just to get her husband's attention/anger, just to spark something dying inside. But by the end, I gave it a 10/10, because it all seemed to come back together, and I could understand that hopelessness.... In the early scenes, they're at a movie, and she's crying. I'm glad Forsythe wasn't fooling around, hitting her, etc., so that it could focus on her. And just remembered the scene with Bobby Darin.

“I was cured, all right!”

Great movie. I loved the pessimism that Hu Bo invokes here. Powerful direction.

The Garden of Words ~ 言の葉の庭

5 Centimeters per Second ~ 秒速5センチメートル

CoMix Wave is on a par with Ufotable. What a wonderful studio! I haven't seen everything by Makoto Shinkai yet, but I definitely will.

Great movie. I loved the pessimism that Hu Bo invokes here. Powerful direction.

The Garden of Words ~ 言の葉の庭

5 Centimeters per Second ~ 秒速5センチメートル

CoMix Wave is on a par with Ufotable. What a wonderful studio! I haven't seen everything by Makoto Shinkai yet, but I definitely will.
Now you're talking, An Elephant Sitting Still is absolutely mind blowing. Tinged with tragedy inside and outside the picture. His first and last film.

Garden of Words is the go to animated piece I state when people ask what's the most beautiful anime you've ever seen.

I need to see 5cm/s

Zulu (1964)
I didn't finish watching it. I found it boring. But damn, that Natal Park in South Africa is gorgeous. Best thing about this movie as far as I could tell is some fabulous scenery.
While I think it's a great film, I can say that you definitely switched it off before 'the best bit'. That ending gives chills.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I can say that you definitely switched it off before 'the best bit'. That ending gives chills.
I found the beginning to be the best part of it! It had the most suspense. You hear the sounds but can't see any of the warriors - true psychological warfare.

1st Rewatch...This slick and sexy re-tooling of the Ocean's franchise was just as entertaining upon rewatch, if not slightly more. Sandra Bullock plays Danny Ocean's fresh out of jail sister who goes to work assembling an all female crew to help her pull off the heist of a $150,000,000 diamond necklace off the neck of a self-absorbed socialite (Anne Hathaway) during a gala at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Direction, editing, and production design are first rate and the ladies work well together. Bullock seems to be having a ball playing a darker variation of her known screen persona and Cate Blanchett is sex on legs as Lou. Also loved Sarah Paulson and the fabulous Helena Bonham Carter. This movie is so much fun.

Mean Girls (2024) I watched this on Paramount+ today. The songs are the best part of this film. There are a few good laughs too. My biggest issue is that the actors look too old. They should have cast actual teens to play the students. The story isn't that great and not everything works, but there are still some fun moments and enjoyable songs. I would rank it as the 7th best film of 2024 so far.

2nd Rewatch...Tina and Amy are a well-oiled cinematic machine in this story of a reproductively-challenged lady executive who hires a scatterbrained young woman to be a surrogate for her. This movie still provides pretty consistent laughs and features Tina as the perfect straight man to Amy's Lucille Ball-calibre physical comedy. Dax Shepherd is also very funny as Amy's common law husband and the villain of the piece.

5th Rewatch...The ultimate date movie and the #5 box office champion of 1993. Nora Ephron triumphed as the director and co-screenwriter of the definitive rom-com. Meg Ryan plays Annie, a romantic dreamer engaged to a man she doesn't really love (Bill Pullman) who is listening to a radio program one night and hears a kid named Jonas (Ross Malinger) talking about how lonely his dad, Sam (Tom Hanks) is since his wife passed away. Of course, Annie becomes obsessed with Sam and the rest is rom-com history. Love the way the screenplay unfolds slowly and meticulously providing little signs along the way that somehow these two people who live on opposite coasts are somehow going to find their way to each other...like when Annie tries on her wedding dress and it rips or when Sam's first date after a year and a half is a disaster. I'm also pretty sure this is the only rom-com in history where the leads don't actually meet until the final scene. Everything works here...still.

Dune: Part Two (2024) -

This won’t read like a positive review since I’m going to be illustrating an element which I found unsatisfying for both this film and (to a lesser extent) the 2021 Dune, so before you read ahead, I’d just like to point out that I enjoyed the film on the whole and found it to be visually and technically impressive. It’s definitely one of those “see it in the theater” movies which we rarely get nowadays.

WARNING: spoilers below
I’ve asked and have seen other people ask variations of the question “Is Paul intended to be a power-hungry villain or a noble protagonist who genuinely wishes to help the impoverished people?” a handful of times and have seen a variety of responses across the board. I’ve seen some people say he is intended to be selfish and villainous, while some other people have argued that, though he betrayed Chani in the process of reclaiming his leadership, he’s still a good person and wants the best for his people.

Where do I stand on this? I’m honestly not sure. I think his betrayal of Chani for one of the Shaddam’s daughters is a main point of contention regarding his motivations as this is where I’ve read a great deal of arguments for his selfishness. As Paul explained in the 2021 Dune though, his reasoning for marrying one of the Shaddam’s daughters was to hopefully prevent a civil war once news of the Shaddam’s treachery would be widely known, so I don’t think his actions here can be summed up in a black and white good or bad metric. They’re far more nuanced.

Fair arguments can be made that being more upfront with Chani about his intentions would’ve been the noble way to go about it since she wouldn’t have been given false hopes then, but this would’ve also introduced the threat of her turning on him much earlier and Paul potentially losing the support of the Fremen. Either way, don’t the benefits of potentially preventing a civil war and saving countless lives outweigh the disappointment he caused to a single person along the way? For a second, I was confident this was how to read his character, but then the film ends on a cliffhanger where Paul intends to have the Fremen attack the Great Houses for opposing his ascendancy to the throne. So, he is intended to be power hungry after all? What does this say about his prior actions then?

This is my issue with the film. While ambiguous character motivations aren’t bad by any means, this is a case where Paul’s motives are so muddled to the point they seem to contradict each other. If he is intended to be a villain and if he is intended to become a dominator in the ending, that would cancel out my interpretation of his relationship with Chani and, to be honest, I don’t know how I’d read their relationship at that point. If he’ll be revealed to have noble intentions by the time (or if) part 3 comes out, that will make a bit more sense but then the film could be argued as a white savior trope of sorts. Still though, I think the latter alternative would be the best option provided they include enough moral ambiguities in his process of saving the impoverished people (like his aforementioned betrayal of Chani, even if there was an understandable reason why he did that). As it stands right now though, that people can’t seem to agree on whether he’s good or bad says a lot about how unclear his motivations are.

Having watched part 1 less than a week before part 2 was released played a part in my enjoyment since I held out some confidence that part 2 would resolve my unanswered questions but it instead did the opposite. If they do manage to resolve everything in a seamless way, then kudos, but the journey leading up to it feels so muddled right now. Like I said at the start, I still enjoyed the film quite a bit and, if part 3 gets released, I’ll probably be in the theaters for it. Hopefully, they’re able to resolve this.

Dune (2021) -

This won’t read like a positive review since I’m going to be illustrating an element which I found unsatisfying for both this film and (to a lesser extent) the 2021 Dune, so before you read ahead, I’d just like to point out that I enjoyed the film on the whole and found it to be visually and technically impressive. It’s definitely one of those “see it in the theater” movies which we rarely get nowadays.

WARNING: spoilers below
I’ve asked and have seen other people ask variations of the question “Is Paul intended to be a power-hungry villain or a noble protagonist who genuinely wishes to help the impoverished people?” a handful of times and have seen a variety of responses across the board. I’ve seen some people say he is intended to be selfish and villainous, while some other people have argued that, though he betrayed Chani in the process of reclaiming his leadership, he’s still a good person and wants the best for his people.

Where do I stand on this? I’m honestly not sure. I think his betrayal of Chani for one of the Shaddam’s daughters is a main point of contention regarding his motivations as this is where I’ve read a great deal of arguments for his selfishness. As Paul explained in the 2021 Dune though, his reasoning for marrying one of the Shaddam’s daughters was to hopefully prevent a civil war once news of the Shaddam’s treachery would be widely known, so I don’t think his actions here can be summed up in a black and white good or bad metric. They’re far more nuanced.

Fair arguments can be made that being more upfront with Chani about his intentions would’ve been the noble way to go about it since she wouldn’t have been given false hopes then, but this would’ve also introduced the threat of her turning on him much earlier and Paul potentially losing the support of the Fremen. Either way, don’t the benefits of potentially preventing a civil war and saving countless lives outweigh the disappointment he caused to a single person along the way? For a second, I was confident this was how to read his character, but then the film ends on a cliffhanger where Paul intends to have the Fremen attack the Great Houses for opposing his ascendancy to the throne. So, he is intended to be power hungry after all? What does this say about his prior actions then?

This is my issue with the film. While ambiguous character motivations aren’t bad by any means, this is a case where Paul’s motives are so muddled to the point they seem to contradict each other. If he is intended to be a villain and if he is intended to become a dominator in the ending, that would cancel out my interpretation of his relationship with Chani and, to be honest, I don’t know how I’d read their relationship at that point. If he’ll be revealed to have noble intentions by the time (or if) part 3 comes out, that will make a bit more sense but then the film could be argued as a white savior trope of sorts. Still though, I think the latter alternative would be the best option provided they include enough moral ambiguities in his process of saving the impoverished people (like his aforementioned betrayal of Chani, even if there was an understandable reason why he did that). As it stands right now though, that people can’t seem to agree on whether he’s good or bad says a lot about how unclear his motivations are.

Having watched part 1 less than a week before part 2 was released played a part in my enjoyment since I held out some confidence that part 2 would resolve my unanswered questions but it instead did the opposite. If they do manage to resolve everything in a seamless way, then kudos, but the journey leading up to it feels so muddled right now. Like I said at the start, I still enjoyed the film quite a bit and, if part 3 gets released, I’ll probably be in the theaters for it. Hopefully, they’re able to resolve this.
I think you're absolutely right - and I also had a problem with this element, which is beyond hopelessly muddled imho.

Lynch's version was easier to enjoy on its own terms, whereas these two movies can't be fully interpreted without the conclusion to the trilogy - and even then, it could still remain pretty muddled and be a simply unsatisfactory way to wrap it all up.

(Though I don't doubt WB will be tempted to keep going past a 3rd movie, with or without DV)

I think you're absolutely right - and I also had a problem with this element, which is beyond hopelessly muddled imho.

Lynch's version was easier to enjoy on its own terms, whereas these two movies can't be fully interpreted without the conclusion to the trilogy - and even then, it could still remain pretty muddled and be a simply unsatisfactory way to wrap it all up.

(Though I don't doubt WB will be tempted to keep going past a 3rd movie, with or without DV)
I still need to watch Lynch's version. I've heard it's one of his weakest films, but I'm still curious how I'd respond to it.

With this film, I think they might be able to fix everything up, but I can't say I'm confident when the first couple entries have resulted in so much confusion already. Regardless of whether they dig their way out of the rut or not, the journey getting there has been a really rough ride.

I still need to watch Lynch's version. I've heard it's one of his weakest films, but I'm still curious how I'd respond to it.

With this film, I think they might be able to fix everything up, but I can't say I'm confident when the first couple entries have resulted in so much confusion already. Regardless of whether they dig their way out of the rut or not, the journey getting there has been a really rough ride.
Lynch's Dune was much more enjoyable for me when I was able to compare it to a version I didn't enjoy very much. I like Kyle MacLachlan much better as PA, and the same goes for Sting as Feyd-Rautah and Patrick Stewart as Gurney Halleck. José Ferrer also made a much better Emperor than Christopher Walken.

As for DV - I definitely like his work much better when he's not just making more "big IP" movies, I think those feel fresh and exciting and not something that's not embalmed in formaldehyde, like BR2049 and both of his Dune movies felt to me.

I forgot the opening line.

By IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=35477421

The Raid - (2011)

Third time around and it finally clicked. The Raid doesn't wait for stragglers - it's lightning bolt pace is for viewers who give it their undivided attention, and are sharp enough to appreciate each blow when the heat is turned up to molten lava levels. 20 cops raid an apartment complex absolutely infested with crime lord Tama Riyadi's (Ray Sahetapy) soldiers - but when he's tipped off, most of the cops are instantly killed and the few left, including the wounded, face almost insurmountable odds to survive. In the midst of all the fighting, slashing and shooting a conspiracy is unveiled, along with a surprise connection between the bad guys and good guys. Heart pounding stuff - very dark and extraordinarily violent. I found it cinematically awesome when I concentrated and appreciated each carefully timed shot, and rhythmic beat. It is a really great movie - which has me wondering what other films I didn't like so much the first few times around I can appreciate as if in a new light. Glad I returned again to this one.

8/10

By Universal Pictures - site, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=40715664

All Quiet on the Western Front - (1930)

A sobering film - another I've seen before. All I could say on letterboxd pretty much sums up how I feel about it : "That last scene is a gut-punch. What is there left to say after nearly 100 years of All Quiet on the Western Front? What better objective can a film aspire to than to make Nazis and nationalists absolutely furious? There's no glory at the front - just a binary : you either survive, or you die. Period." It feels more 'real life' than the recent remake - it provides us with more down to earth performances rather than those trying to make grand gestures.

9/10

By A Touch of Zen, a production of Union Film. - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064451.../rm2873561088/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=19802214

A Touch of Zen - (1971)

One of the all-time great wuxia films - absolutely gorgeous, and tremendously exciting while also providing great meaning in an interesting context. You can't ask for much more. Full review here, on my watchlist thread.

10/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=17817711

Umberto D. - (1952)

This Vittorio De Sica masterpiece is right up there with Bicycle Thieves and Two Women. Review here, on my watchlist thread.

10/10