The Videogames Tab

Tools    

One game I have just come across on gamesradar is "Everybody's gone to the rapture"

There is almost nothing included in the trailer to tell you anything about the game, what it is about or where it is set, all you see is a POV of someone walking through a field when two small orbs of power appear and collide. I will be keeping an eye this as it does look very interesting in it's vagueness.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I had Watchdogs for Fathers Day as a surprise so I have had a couple of quick goes on it but as we have my sister in law kipping over she is in the dining room where the 360 is so havent had a good go yet

The People's Republic of Clogher
One game I have just come across on gamesradar is "Everybody's gone to the rapture"

There is almost nothing included in the trailer to tell you anything about the game, what it is about or where it is set, all you see is a POV of someone walking through a field when two small orbs of power appear and collide. I will be keeping an eye this as it does look very interesting in it's vagueness.
It's from The Chinese Room, who did Dear Esther and A Machine For Pigs.

They're a pretty divisive studio - Personally, I dug Dear Esther a lot and thought Machine For Pigs was pretty good but a lot of people can't stand them for their 'all atmosphere, no gameplay' approach.

Dear Esther is so lacking in gameplay that it's not even an interactive story. It's just a story voiceover which triggers when you reach various points in the map and MFP isn't much different. The stories being told resonated with me, if they hadn't I'd be a lot more critical.

Watch Dogs patch time!

Fan-made and claiming to offer performance improvements and some graphics improvements which make the game look more like the original gameplay trailers. Sounds too good to be true but worth keeping an eye on. If it's true that these improvements were already in the game engine then, well, that's Ubisoft, I guess.

Link

In the Beginning...
Well crap.

I'm not in a rush to buy a new system quite yet, but I can't help thinking about what I ought to pick when I finally do. All of my friends either own X-BOX One or will soon, but for the first time ever in my life, I'm leaning Playstation.

Assassin's Creed: Unity
The Division
The Witness
No Man's Sky
Alien: Isolation
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

And now Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Watch Dogs patch time!

Fan-made and claiming to offer performance improvements and some graphics improvements which make the game look more like the original gameplay trailers. Sounds too good to be true but worth keeping an eye on. If it's true that these improvements were already in the game engine then, well, that's Ubisoft, I guess.

Link
Cool, thanks.

I'm probably like 60% of the way through the campaign. Done a lot of side stuff (though I find some to be really entertaining and others, like the Criminal Convoys, to be pretty boring).

I've had such a weird vacillation, performance wise. In the beginning it was a little laggy at times, but understandably so. Then it got awful, to the point at which the game was borderline unplayable while driving around (especially in the first 10 minutes of loading), even with every setting turned all the way down. Now it seems fine again. Go figure.

Well crap.

I'm not in a rush to buy a new system quite yet, but I can't help thinking about what I ought to pick when I finally do. All of my friends either own X-BOX One or will soon, but for the first time ever in my life, I'm leaning Playstation.

Assassin's Creed: Unity
The Division
The Witness
No Man's Sky
Alien: Isolation
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

And now Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.
Oh yeah, we've got a ridiculously cool slate of games coming out. And that's without even getting into the more far-off stuff that's still almost certainly coming, like Fallout 4.

Really excited; AAA games are getting a bit more inventive and a lot of adventurous indie titles are springing up and getting lots of press. It's a really great time to be a gamer.

There are rumours doing the rounds that both Sony and Microsoft have been meeting AMD (who make the innards of both new consoles) with plans to write the current generation off as a bad lot and start serious design work on the PS5 and XboxTwo. This could be the shortest console generation in history if true.

Sleezy - Lean Steam Machine, if you can hold off for 12 months. Ok, this one is Alienware so horrendously overpriced (or will be when it's announced ) but this is the kind of thing coming out.

A system of cells interlinked
Have some links to those rumors?

Just some things I've heard on a few E3 podcasts, so they are just rumours.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was truth in them. Much more concrete is that the WiiU won't be Nintendo's flagship for that much longer and with Microsoft furiously back-peddling ever since the XboxOne was launched (always online, used games, now Kinect getting the boot) you could see them jumping too. Would Sony want to have a PS4 out there for 7 years with a new, more powerful Xbox on the market after, say, 4? Don't bet against the rise of Steam either - Valve have been setting the service up as a living room device for a while with their own (free) OS already in Beta.

Conjecture, yes, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are new Sony and Microsoft consoles within 5 years of their launch.

I dunno. They make their money from game sales, not consoles. I'm sure both companies have contingency plans in place if their console flopped dramatically. If it was something which couldn't be rectified by patches, price drops or marketing they'd fast forward the development cycle of the replacement.

It'd be a waste of money for Nintendo, maybe, because they actually make money on their console sales (and quite a big of it, in the case of the Wii), but for Sony the Playstation is a loss leader. They famously lost a significant chunk on every PS3 sale to try to win the format war over HD-DVD. And I'm pretty sure both Sony and Microsoft are doing the same now to try to establish market share.

I'd heard somewhere that Sony are actually making a small profit on the PS4, which is a surprise, but yeah - the console is just the way for the manufacturer to get a foothold in your living room.

Now then.... I've installed that Watch Dogs mod/tweak and am pretty darned impressed with the results. The DOF is too strong for my taste, and the AA needs work but the game's running very well (I set it to High, not tried Ultra yet but as I don't possess a 780ti (yet ) I don't expect it to run at all well).

One to keep an eye on.

That guy Aiden's gonna have severe back problems in later life with posture like that. Stop slouching!

The acid test will be leaving the game running for more than 5 minutes and listening. If it doesn't sound like a duck caught in a 747 turbine then I'm calling it a success!

Yeah, I won't know until I try but I assumed this was a "make it look nicer and offset that with optimization," so that someone like me probably still can't get much out of it. Dunno. Maybe I'll finish the campaign first in case I break something.

Seems pretty easy to uninstall (it's just two files dropped into the game folder and a one-word edit in an XML file) but whether it leaves traces in your save file is anyone's guess.

Reddit is, predictably, in full tinfoil chapeau mode - Ubisoft deliberately nuked the PC game settings in order to not show up the PS4 and Xbone... Uh huh.

I'd put it more down to their notoriously poor optimization of PC games.